Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Clunking noise after spacer lift, upper ball joint hitting spring

Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
96 tacomaPtown is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryan
96 tacomaPtown's Tacoma Gallery
Clunking noise after spacer lift, upper ball joint hitting spring

When ever I go over speed bumbs or over rocks I hear a clunking noise from my front end. I found my Upper ball joint boot ripped and grease on my spring. I have a spacer lift and am thinking that is the problem with my front end and need to upgrade to coil overs. Is anyone else having this issue or did alignment or Bushings help. If it is the problem I warn anyone of purchasing spacer lifts. especially if You DO actually take your truck off road. Please Reply Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:15 AM   #2
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
I had spacers before I upgraded and never had the issue you're describing with yours. I had 2" spacers with stock coils, stock UCA, and stock ball joints. What are you running?

If you didn't do an alignment after your spacer lift, you really should. Its never a bad idea to get it checked anytime steering or suspension is changed, specially with a lift.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:55 AM   #3
taco19 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dallon
taco19's Tacoma Gallery
i got your exact problem. here's what you do, crawl under your front end of your truck, look under the stock skid plate( the black one) and where you installed the round spacer, it lowered an arm witch now probably rubs on the skid plate mount with you go over bumps. simply take your stock skid plate off and prime the metal and grind it down so its flat. Toyota did it to mine, 100 bucks...
Old 07-21-2010, 02:20 AM   #4
05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
05offroad's Tacoma Gallery
You'll have more issues to come with spacers...you should upgrade to a new strut or coilover imo
Old 07-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
-Don-
donaldwagner is a name known to alldonaldwagner is a name known to alldonaldwagner is a name known to alldonaldwagner is a name known to alldonaldwagner is a name known to alldonaldwagner is a name known to all

Name: Donald
donaldwagner's Tacoma Gallery
my friend had the same problem, you need preloaded spacers, no other solution