1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My taco is turning into a money pit

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by homer96, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Jul 24, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    homer96

homer96 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    LaFayette, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 4x4 MT 18 TRD Off Road AT 4x4
    Recently i have got a new job and i wanted to fix up my truck. I wanted a 15% tint all around, a new radio, and my seats redone. Well I needed brakes so i went ahead and did that but then, a week later on my first date with this girl i met, my radiator cracked and started spewing coolant. This was really embarrassing btw. Now, my power steering pump went out and its like driving a model T. I know that it has 216K miles on it but its still pretty damn discouraging. Hopefully i can spend money on the fun stuff next paycheck. I get to drive dad's 08 taco until it gets fixed Monday so i guess thats a plus. ;) Has anyone else had a bombardment of repair bills lately?

2. Jul 24, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    Duck760

Duck760 The Duck

Member:
    Well Ihave an 07 taco so ima have to say no. Last year I picked up a 97 accord and had all that happen but now she runs perfect.Once the repairs are done you will be good to go. Sorry about it all happeningall at once but after you fix it up she will be ready to play again for another 216k miles

3. Jul 24, 2010 at 10:10 AM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    that sucks. but now you look like the rugged handyman who can fix anything right? what lovely lady wouldnt want that? but i know what you mean its a lot harder to do the work that has to be done than the things you want to work on

4. Jul 24, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I've been there. I had one truck I was lucky to get through an oil change interval without something going wrong. Wheel bearing, water pump, starter, etc.

If she offered to help push the truck home, she's a keeper! :D

5. Jul 24, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    Tacorunner87

Tacorunner87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Chino Hills Ca
    To much to list!
    It happens from time to time on my truck. Right now its the maintenance on the suspension that kicks my ass.

6. Jul 24, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    Yup...throw out bearing (and clutch since I'll be down there), wheel stud, tailgate cable, tie rod end (and alignment), steering rack bushings. Haha they're all pretty small, except the clutch.

7. Jul 25, 2010 at 3:46 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    I'm afraid that a lot of it comes down to maintenance and routine replacement of wear items. Its getting up there in age so it needs to be taken care of and have its parts checked more frequently, and plan to replace some of the components before they break. You're either going to be spending a lot of money on repairs, or pick up a repair manual and start doing a lot of it yourself. I hate to ask, but how long has your PS pump been squealing and/or the last time you checked the fluid before it died?

For example, at 216k, if you have any original ball joints, tie rod ends, axles, etc on the front end, it wouldn't surprise me if some of those were to go next, if they aren't already past due. I wouldn't be surprised to find your struts and springs at that point as well. When was the last time you checked the age on your battery? How about your belts and hoses? Driveshaft greased? Air filter? Diff fluid? Spark plugs? Air in tires? transmission fluid/oil?

Most of that stuff is stuff you should check at least every oil change, or at least know how much longer until the item should be replaced. Of course you'll still have the surprises of an alternator or starter failure, but with regular checking of everything else, you'll be more prepared.

You're at the point in the trucks life that you are slowly rebuilding it, one piece at a time. Some times it will be months before something braeks and sometimes days. Thats just the way it is with an older vehicle.

My gauge on vehicles is they need to go when you're spending as much on repairs as you would on a monthly car payment. Having someone else do repairs drastically increases the replacement time.

8. Jul 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM
    mauibuilt41

mauibuilt41 Active Member

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner Dbll Cab
    Well I bought my truck in June and I need to replace my brakes, rotors, tints, belts, tires and now I need new leafs to fix my axle wrap. Other than that its been great!

9. Jul 25, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    ever since i got in a head on collision in january my truck has been a money pit, but i need to replace my rear wheel bearing cause its getting wobbly

10. Jul 25, 2010 at 10:38 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    *Knock on wood* Mine needed a water pump 2 days after i got it... other than that nothing. But I don't even have 100k and I'm sure those times are coming. But hey, now your radiator and PS pump are good till 432K miles...

11. Jul 26, 2010 at 1:23 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Nothing so far in the 2 years I've had it. 160,000 miles on it now. All I've done is the t belt and water pump, and all new suspension. Its never left me stranded though.

12. Jul 26, 2010 at 4:35 AM
    sctrdtaco03

sctrdtaco03 Ah yeah that guy

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    Port Orchard,Wa
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    first gen trd supercharger throttle body coolant delete gray wire mod rear diff breather extension King coilovers All pro uca's toytec 2" shackle extension rear billy 5100 water meth injection urd 6 injector upgrade other assorted goodies custom AZ pinstripe on sides
    I need to get a clutch in mine it went after 54k but I think the owner before me was really hard on it loaded it up to much and tired to take it out wheeling, etc. :confused:

idk doesnt help that I have a S/C on it either

13. Jul 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Last month my 2005 needed new lower ball joints that can only be purchased with the entire lower control arm assembly. Add the alignment cams, a wheel alignment, a new wheel bearing, three new idler pulleys and a new drive belt.

It was a very expensive month. Control arms were worth around $1600, wheel bearing $300, idler pulleys and belt $350 - do the math!:(

14. Jul 26, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    should have just gone LT! lol

15. Jul 26, 2010 at 8:53 PM