1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

water pump......2.7l tacoma?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Cb2589, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Jul 26, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    Cb2589

Cb2589 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    Wheelers Offroad black steel wheels, 12 disc changer, spray in bedliner, Black UWS toolbox, Kelly Safari TSR's, Dynomax Super Turbo
    So my tacoma will overheat whenever i'm going up a steep grade such as a mountain, or when i'm sitting at a light with the a/c on. i've already put in a thermostat and no luck, the fan clutch is somewhat loose but i can hear it working in the mornings. i'm not positive the radiator is clogged but after taking the cap off the cores don't look too bad. i've run it up to operating temp. and the top hose will be hot and the bottom one will still be cold. i'm just wondering if this has been a problem and i'm not really sure where to start? and if the water pump is bad, is it hard to replace? any help from you guys would be really appreciated..

2. Jul 26, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Sounds like it could be the fan clutch. Just because you hear it in the AM, doesnt mean its not going bad. FLush the system, and replace the fan clutch, and see how it is.

3. Jul 26, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    WP not hard to do, just time consuming.
    One way to check if WP is working is to partially drain radiator, leave cap open and see if it's moving coolant. WP good? Dead radiator or thermostat. I haven't replaced a toyota thermostat, but on chevys, it was possible to put it in upside down. It would overheat, if so. I have done warranty WP replacements, but they were leaking, not dead.

4. Jul 26, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    Cb2589

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    Wheelers Offroad black steel wheels, 12 disc changer, spray in bedliner, Black UWS toolbox, Kelly Safari TSR's, Dynomax Super Turbo
    But to replace the water pump are any special tools needed? I'm an intern at a truck shop at a chevrolet dealership, and If no special tools are needed i'm assuming i could replace it in an 8 hour day at work with some help?

5. Jul 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
  6. Jul 26, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    Cb2589

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    is that for the 2.7 or the 3.4? only reason i asked is because it said to remove the timing belt and the 2.7 has a chain

7. Jul 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,

Ah...I thought the 2.7 was listed in there

8. Jul 26, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    Cb2589

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    i'm definitely bookmarking that page, that's got alot of good stuff! thanks!

9. Jul 27, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    The serp belt is the only place where the right tool would make it easier. Not necessary, just easier. A decent set of metric tools will get it done.

10. Jul 27, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    You don't have to have a special tool for the serp belt, nor to remove the clutch fan, nor any other part. It would make it easier, but it's still do-able without.

11. Jul 27, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    Cb2589

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    well i took the water pump out today, it didn't look too bad. you could free wheel the fan clutch with your hand though. i replaced both. i'm headed up the mountain tonight so we'll see how it goes.

12. Jul 27, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    Lichen

Lichen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 2008 FJ
    Lifted, ARB bumper, Warn winch, IPF lights, CB, front locker, camper shell, roof rack
    Doesn't sound like the water pump (no leaking, I assume?) You may just need to have the system professionally cleaned out - something is clogged up in there.

13. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    crazyasu45

crazyasu45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    3" SUSPENSION LIFT
    x2 I also think it's a bunged up rad :eek:

14. Jul 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    Cb2589

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    i drove it up the mountain twice, pretty hard. it didn't overheat either time. but i got on the freeway today and it felt like the new fan clutch was sticking. I could hear it all the way through 5th gear. the battery light has also been coming on and off with the a/s on? thought that was kinda weird...

15. Jul 30, 2010 at 3:51 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Your truck is either making too much heat for the cooling system to remove (too advanced timing) or not removing enough heat (most likely the radiator is clogged or fins are bent on radiator or condenser). Get a non-contact thermometer and check the radiator for cold spots, or just replace the radiator. Thermometer is around $30 at sears.
    Other possibilities are: blocked cooling passage in the engine block, coolant leaking into combustion chamber (pull spark plugs, if one is steam cleaned, that's the leaking cylinder), you have another bad thermostat(unlikely, but you can check it in boiling water to see if it opens and closes)
    Before I went to tech school for cars and trucks, I had your exact problem on an 88 gmc crew cab dually. I put in a high capacity WP, high flow thermostat, new radiator, and spring reinforced suction hose. It would only heat up climbing hills fully loaded. The engine finally gave up. Cyl #4 seized and snapped the rod. The spark plug and cylinder were steam cleaned. Oil was washed away by the coolant. No coolant was in the oil.
    Find the culprit before it happens to you. I would diagnose the problem and stop replacing parts. It only takes one more trip up the mountain, and you're walking back down.
    Keep us updated, and good luck!

P.S.The alternator is probably on it's way out. Have it's output checked.

16. Jul 30, 2010 at 4:51 AM
    Cb2589

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    the very first thing you said...about the advanced timing. is there any possibility the timing could be advanced because of a stretched timing chain? i talked to my auto instructor yesterday and he told me if i wanted we could tear my truck down and finally fix the very obnoxious ticking sound my truck makes. i have taken the valve cover off and the outer timing chain seems to be good and tight. now alldata says you pretty much have to take everything off to replace the inner timing chain (all accesories off, head off, drop 4wd, etc.) you would think if there were any other problems occuring i'd be able to find out in the process of doing this, right?

17. Jul 30, 2010 at 5:27 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    A stretched timing chain will cause erratic timing, but it will wobble from retarded to advanced. It will not be significant enough to cause overheating. It will cause valve train noise. Valve tapping is caused by worn cam followers and worn cam lobes. That is a time consuming, but not impossible diy job.
    You should replace the chain while you do the valve adjustment. Measure the cam to make sure it's still within specs before you rip it all apart, or you'll be stuck waiting for parts.
    The valve noise is minor if you don't find the cause of the overheating soon.

18. Jul 30, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    Cb2589

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L
    I'll measure everything to see if it's within spec before i take it all apart, although I've had 3 techs from work listen to it and they all have said the timing chain/guides/etc. If you really listen it does sound mostly from the front. And as far as the cooling problem I don't think any passages are stopped up, the original water pump was pretty clean. I won't be able to work on it with my teacher until 2 or 3 weeks from now so it's kinda on hold for now.

19. Jul 30, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    The cam and chain can wait.
    Find your heat problem... Cold spots in radiator, most likely. Collapsing suction line, possibly. You already eliminated some of the possibilities, but haven't found the cause. That's asking for a problem.
    I don't mean to be pushy, but I don't want to see you have a new boat anchor.

20. Jul 30, 2010 at 3:13 PM
    Cb2589

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    VA
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma, 5spd 2.7L

Products Discussed in

To Top