Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

99 SR5 shocks and struts

Old 07-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
99 SR5 shocks and struts

Hey folks, thanks for letting me in the door.

I read a few of the threads on replacement shocks and struts and thought maybe someone could aim me in the right direction a bit better.

99 Tacoma, non-TRD, SR5, 4X4, no lift, all stock suspension and will stay that way. (minus shock and strut's)

I want to retain that OEM ride without the OEM price. The parts man is saying KYB, I am no so sure about those. been down that road so to speak and it was a harsh ride for the vehicle they were on. The stock shocks are done.

This is a daily driver truck with 30/9.50/15 BFG AP's, I dont wheel it hard, but do on rare occasion take it up around Mt St Helens.

Any ideas on a OEM type of shock and strut, or links to discussions that will answer that question.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
If you want an OEM-like ride then get a set of the Bilstein HD shocks. Or, if you want to step it up a bit, get the Bilstein 5100 series. The fronts are adjustable for 0"-3" lift. IMO either choice would be money well spent.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated.

I will check out the Bilstein's. I had seen that on some of the searches I did and also by talking to other folks that the HD's seem to be the general consensus for the "better than" OEM replacement.

Thanks again!.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
5100's baaaaaaby ! So you can level out your truck, but I do have a pair of OEM Bilstein gas charged shocks (fronts only) for sale $60 for the pair ,excellent cond. I think they still sell for about $80 per shock if you want OEM's. My 2000 is 4x also........
Attached Thumbnails
99 SR5 shocks and struts-web-dsc01590.jpg  
Old 07-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Who has the best reputable deal online at the moment?.

I found ShockWarehouse.com at around $314 for all 4 Bill HD's,, free shipping.

anyone else reccomended?.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #6
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Finally got around to installing the HD Bills and new BFG AT/KO's. night and day difference. Since I had it apart, I went ahead and put in new swaybar main bushings and end link bushings. Much better, it's back to having that go-kart handling,,or something similar.

Went with Tirerack.com for tires and shocks. all in stock and all out of one online store. Fast shipping,,ordered on a Sat and they were here the following Wed.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 5100's on my truck and love them...also did new coils and leaf springs as well. If you do get the 5100's and new coils you can expect to get about a 2" lift in the front. I'm not sure what you could expect for lift in the rear by just replacing the shocks there. The HD's might be the better option for you if you are doing shocks and nothing else.

Check out Wheeler's Offroad and Downsouth Motorsports, both are vendors on here and both carry Bilsteins.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
vantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nicevantaco is just really nice
vantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod View Post
it's back to having that go-kart handling,,or something similar
sorry but "go-kart handling" and tacoma's (all trucks) do not belong in the same sentence lol.....unless it's: they do NOT have
Old 04-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Back from the dead,,or dying.

Quick question,,will the Wheelers 5 leafs and matching front coils work with my recently replaced stock shocks (replaced with Bill HD's) or will I run out of compression and rebound with the Bill HD shock lengths.

Wheeler's says the 5 leafs add 1.5" of lift.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Almost 4 Years to the day on the HD Bill's and they are shot. Rears blew there oil seals a few weeks ago. Rough Country's from Wheelers going back on shortly. Old man Emu spring packs and matching coils holding up very well.

The Rough Country's were a really good shock back in the day,,then they went to crap for about 10-15 years or so,,then back to being a good shock again from all the reports. We will see.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Rough Country V2.0 rears mounted up and test rode. Boots, boot clamp, and shock sticker in the boxes. Bushings pressed in place. Shock sticker inside was wadded up and unusable.

Very nice ride combined with the Bill struts up front. Rear Bilsteins were removed and found to have a lot of fluid loss,,but still semi charged with gas. Front struts are still riding as they should with no leakage,,but had a pretty good trounce/bang when the rear shocks would pass over the same road bump.

Thanks Wheelers for the 2 day service and little bag of awesome treats with every order. I think they get you wired up on sugar as you install your kits so you strip bolts and nuts and have to reorder,,lol. Conspiracy there I think.