1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRAILER NEWBIE needs straight talk

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DYoung, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Jul 31, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    DYoung

DYoung [OP] Member

Member:
    Built a schedule c pipe frame and 14 guage steel cap. Very tough.
    Hi Folks

I love my tacoma but am not terribly knowledgeable when it comes to hauling, let alone my trucks capacity, necessary upgrades, nor terminology etc. I dont want to spend a few thousand on a trailer to find out I cant haul it! I am slowly working on a historical timber framing project and we need to haul straight tree trunks (timber frame house).

Background:
    I drive a 99 Tacoma, V6 (with the short extended cab).

Objective:
    To aquire a 14-17 foot trailer, capable of handling tree trunks weighing upwards of 3000 lbs. (I will acquire winches, wedges, and straps)

-----------------------
    The first questions are whether or not I can tow circa 4-5000 lbs.

The second question is....what should I look for when buying?

Can someone help me with a fool proof checklist of things such as:

--engine info (what to look for to determine hauling capacity)
    --hitch info (what I need to determine or buy)
    --any other info, insight, advice much apprecaited

Thanks
    Drew

2. Jul 31, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Go to the Towing section on this forum, you should find all info you need.......:cool:

3. Jul 31, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    Worm

Worm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Southern Maryland
    You can get a trailer that has a 3500 GVW but your going to over load it in a heart beat and thats not good for business leads to major problems. Or you could step up to 7000 lbs GVW whether it's a flat bed or a dump is your choice. GVW is what the trailer can haul safely minus the wieght of the trailer so it can prolly haul around 5500 - 6500 depending on how the trailer is built and length. This is about all our trucks can handle considering we only have a 5000 - 5500 lb towing compacity. So your not going to be able to haul as many logs as you think you can. And I'm just being striaght up with you, your going to have to sacifice some of your load and make more trips to keep things safe and not wear our your trailer prematurely and put a terrible load on your truck. Your definatly going to need a trailer with brakes on both axles so your going to need to get a 7 way wiring harness installed on your truck, and a brake control as well to control your brakes. And for a hitch get a hitch that matches your towing compacity, try to find a trailer dealer or a hitch dealer around you to guide you with your purchases. Hope this helps you I am a trailer mechanic at a dealership so I will try and help you the best I can.

4. Jul 31, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    DYoung

DYoung [OP] Member

Member:
    Built a schedule c pipe frame and 14 guage steel cap. Very tough.
    I should have noted....we only plan on hauling one log at a time.

Log would be 2-3 feet wide x about 17 feet long. I would hew them down on site to square them off so they sit better and are lighter, but Im not always able to.

Its more than just a practical matter, its a road safety issue too.

5. Jul 31, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen Tacoma
    Chicken lights, chrome and smoke tunes.
  6. Jul 31, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    Worm

Worm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Southern Maryland
    Ok the one log is alot better. But your probly going to still have to get a trailer with 2 axles generally they do not make 18ft trailers with one axle so you will still have that 5500-6500 compacity which will be a good feeling when you get a big log on there. And more than likely your going to end up gettin an 18ft they usually go in lengths my 2 feet 12 -14 -16 and so forth.

7. Jul 31, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Buy a trailer that has good brakes, because if you're hauling max rated capacity, you're going to need them.

Products Discussed in

To Top