Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

diy front truetac install

Old 07-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed98fourbangertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
98fourbangertaco's Tacoma Gallery
diy front truetac install

I'm planning on installing a detroit truetrac in the front of my taco, me and my dad installed one in the rear couple months ago and I love it, has anyone else installed a truetrac or any other locker/lsd I'm the front of their tacoma, any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
No one makes a front LSD.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
A litte OT, but you get snow in NC Ryan? I was thinking about a truetrac, but I cant find any reviews in the snow on a DD.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
atvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant futureatvlifestyle has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
atvlifestyle's Tacoma Gallery
I belive you can modify your cv to run a truetrac on a ADD truck (need to talk to ECGS) . If you have manual hubs no problems.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #7
MMyota is on a distinguished road

Army: 1-15 INF 3ID
Name: Brandon
MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
if you have add then i wouldnt recommend a lunchbox locker maybe a arb something selectable, if your running manual hubs then i recommend a aussie locker.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
F all that BS about a mechanical locker up front. I ran one in the snow for 5 months and never had a problem in 4wd. Same with the rear, never had one issue. Meh. L2Drive with it
Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeSlapnuts View Post
can the ADD be wired to disconect each side seperatly?
In order to install a front locker, you first need a front differential
Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
SargeSlapnuts's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
thanks for the info update but im trying to pick a front diff to buy to do all of this. . .
Old 01-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
4wd toyota enthusiast, the magazine, did a whole DIY article on installing a front Aussie locker. I think it was the June or July issue. Detailed everything with pics.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #15

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
well if your a prerunner and your looking for a diff do this. Find either a ADD or Non-ADD diff and spindles,cvs, and hubs from a non-ADD truck. I have a ADD diff that i modified the actuator to stay locked all the time with manual hubs. If your in alpharetta i seen a CL post for a whole front end from a Non-ADD tacoma for like $250 i think somewhere around atlanta
Old 01-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #16

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
here it is all for $150 damn good steal:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/pts/2760014948.html
Old 01-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #17
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
im curious about a front lsd for my truck instead of locker because of breaking cv axles with the locker
Great but no need for a front anything if you have a Prerunner, since that means you're 2wd.

Quote:
can the ADD be wired to disconect each side seperatly?
No, i don't believe so. The disconnect point is the transfer case.

Quote:
thanks for the info update but im trying to pick a front diff to buy to do all of this. . .
So you're doing a 2wd to 4wd conversion?

Quote:
dang it i just wanna know if the ADD can be modified to be selectable from inside the truck via switch!!!!!!!!
Well Add, being the opposite of manual hubs as i understand it, does imply that it is selectable from inside the cab. I think most add taco's use an electronic switch but some use a mechanical J-shifter. It would depend on which one you buy.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:29 AM   #18
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
SargeSlapnuts's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMyota View Post
here it is all for $150 damn good steal:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/pts/2760014948.html
that guy already sold that front end unfortunately na dit was the wrong gearing to match my rear end 4.56 gear. im still searching for more info. i have also been looking into centrifugal super chargers as they are by far more efficient than roots type that come with a trd package. still need to find some more info on it though
Old 01-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #19
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
re: locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Not just a front differential but a transfer case with all the necessary adapters and crossmembers.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #20
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magog45 View Post
Not just a front differential but a transfer case with all the necessary adapters and crossmembers.
I understand all that's needed to have 4WD. I was just giving Nick shit for being 2WD asking about a front locker. Just a joke.

IMO do your 4WD conversion first (well...actually just sell your prerunner and buy a 4x4 and save yourself the headache and time of the conversion) then figure out if you really NEED a front locker. There are plenty of people who get through lots of tough situations without a front locker.

Not to mention...personally I would rather have a selectable locker in the front so it doesn't affect normal street driveability.