Notices

how to confirm 4 cyl trd?

Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #21
scoostraw is on a distinguished road

Name: Ken
scoostraw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
Yoytoda is saying that if you got the TRD package with a v6 you got the locker standard with the package and the non trd v6s only had the locker as an option.
I'm bumping this old thread because I just bought a 2001 4cyl automatic PreRunner with the TRD package. The guy I got it from is a mechanic and he said for sure it has the locker.

However there is no button, no sticker on the door jam etc. How can I tell for sure if I have it? (Without checking the capacity of the rear end fluid?)

Old 01-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #22
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Crawl under the rearend and look at the diff. If it has a factory e-locker, you'll see the motor attached to the side of it, with wires going to it.

According to the factory brochure (for 1998) that I happen to have, the TRD package on 4-CYL AT models did not come with the e-locker. It implies that it did come on all other TRD models.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #23
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoostraw View Post
I'm bumping this old thread because I just bought a 2001 4cyl automatic PreRunner with the TRD package. The guy I got it from is a mechanic and he said for sure it has the locker.

However there is no button, no sticker on the door jam etc. How can I tell for sure if I have it? (Without checking the capacity of the rear end fluid?)

If you are positive there is not a button for the locker, the only other thing it could be is an auto locker, which is after market and not from Toyota. If you have an auto 4cyl then your diff gear is 4.56, which does not come in the e locker rear axle, as I have heard because it is too big. So I believe you got le screwed on that one, because I can almost guarantee you have no factory locker.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
If you are positive there is not a button for the locker, the only other thing it could be is an auto locker, which is after market and not from Toyota. If you have an auto 4cyl then your diff gear is 4.56, which does not come in the e locker rear axle, as I have heard because it is too big. So I believe you got le screwed on that one, because I can almost guarantee you have no factory locker.
Where is the factory button located (if there was one)?

I don't feel screwed at all. In fact I asked about the rearend as an afterthought when I picked up the truck. The seller said "Oh yeah I forgot to tell you. Yes it has a posi-rearend."

Yesterday I went to a snow-covered lot and tried to figure out by feel if this was the case. Unfortunately I couldn't tell for sure.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
Crawl under the rearend and look at the diff. If it has a factory e-locker, you'll see the motor attached to the side of it, with wires going to it.

According to the factory brochure (for 1998) that I happen to have, the TRD package on 4-CYL AT models did not come with the e-locker. It implies that it did come on all other TRD models.
Thanks. I'll take a look today. But yeah it sounds like there is no factory e-locker for sure.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #26
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
There are 2 types of posi rearends, clutch and gear.

If the clutches wear out completely, then, on the road, the rear end will act just like a stock, open rear end. The gear-type (Detroit Trutrac) don't wear out.

Try jacking up the rear (both sides, parking brake off - be sure to block both front tires, front and back, for safety). Hand rotate one wheel and see which way the other side rotates. If you have a stock open rear, the opposite side will rotate in the other direction. With a locker (and working POSI ?) it will rotate in the same direction.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #27
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoostraw View Post

There are two basic types of "lockers", auto locking diffs and push button (electronicly actuated) locking diffs. The one from Toyota that is included in some TRD packages is the electronic type.

There are two basic type of automatic lockers. There are the limited slip types and there a full locking types. Auto lockers do not have a button to engage them.

The term "posi" is another way of describing a limited slip differential. More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited-slip_differential
Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #28

Definitely no factory e-locker on this truck as you said. I may jack it up to see, but I am also realizing how much I had grown accustomed to 4WD. So who knows - I may move on anyway and get another 4x4.. This is a nice truck tho - runs great.