1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how to confirm 4 cyl trd?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomazach, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Jan 8, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    scoostraw

scoostraw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 4x4 Ext Cab 6cyl 5-Speed
    I'm bumping this old thread because I just bought a 2001 4cyl automatic PreRunner with the TRD package. The guy I got it from is a mechanic and he said for sure it has the locker.

However there is no button, no sticker on the door jam etc. How can I tell for sure if I have it? (Without checking the capacity of the rear end fluid?)

IMG_7872_zps8cf2924b_6bc4723a030620c1792f2424bbad145b717e4043.jpg

2. Jan 8, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Crawl under the rearend and look at the diff. If it has a factory e-locker, you'll see the motor attached to the side of it, with wires going to it.

According to the factory brochure (for 1998) that I happen to have, the TRD package on 4-CYL AT models did not come with the e-locker. It implies that it did come on all other TRD models.

3. Jan 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    If you are positive there is not a button for the locker, the only other thing it could be is an auto locker, which is after market and not from Toyota. If you have an auto 4cyl then your diff gear is 4.56, which does not come in the e locker rear axle, as I have heard because it is too big. So I believe you got le screwed on that one, because I can almost guarantee you have no factory locker.

4. Jan 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    scoostraw

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Where is the factory button located (if there was one)?

I don't feel screwed at all. In fact I asked about the rearend as an afterthought when I picked up the truck. The seller said "Oh yeah I forgot to tell you. Yes it has a posi-rearend."

Yesterday I went to a snow-covered lot and tried to figure out by feel if this was the case. Unfortunately I couldn't tell for sure.

5. Jan 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    scoostraw

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I'll take a look today. But yeah it sounds like there is no factory e-locker for sure.

6. Jan 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    There are 2 types of posi rearends, clutch and gear.

If the clutches wear out completely, then, on the road, the rear end will act just like a stock, open rear end. The gear-type (Detroit Trutrac) don't wear out.

Try jacking up the rear (both sides, parking brake off - be sure to block both front tires, front and back, for safety). Hand rotate one wheel and see which way the other side rotates. If you have a stock open rear, the opposite side will rotate in the other direction. With a locker (and working POSI ?) it will rotate in the same direction.

7. Jan 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop

There are two basic types of "lockers", auto locking diffs and push button (electronicly actuated) locking diffs. The one from Toyota that is included in some TRD packages is the electronic type.

There are two basic type of automatic lockers. There are the limited slip types and there a full locking types. Auto lockers do not have a button to engage them.

The term "posi" is another way of describing a limited slip differential. More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited-slip_differential

8. Jan 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    scoostraw

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Definitely no factory e-locker on this truck as you said. I may jack it up to see, but I am also realizing how much I had grown accustomed to 4WD. So who knows - I may move on anyway and get another 4x4.. This is a nice truck tho - runs great.

9. Aug 4, 2015 at 1:05 PM
    4bangerwithlockingdiff

4bangerwithlockingdiff New Member

Member:
    I know this thread is half a decade old, but I've been looking for info on this recently. However, I can confirm that atleast ONE four-banger left the factory with an e-locker. One of my best friends in highschool had a '98 4cyl, 5spd, TRD with a locking rear differential. We thought the e-locker and manual hubs (when those types of "utilitarian" aspects in U.S. trucks were near extinction) were just cool as shit at the time. If Id known it was that rare... man.

I don't have any direct online sources for this, but the "Buyer's Guide" and/or wikipedia article might need updating.

ANyway, cheers!

10. Aug 4, 2015 at 2:18 PM
    NCJeyota

NCJeyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Raleigh,NC
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Double cab
    I just bought a 2002 extended cab Tacoma, 4 cylinder, TRD, 5 speed, with the rear Diff lock. And it came standard with 4.30 gears according to the gear code in door jam. I never new this configuration existed, but I am glad they do, and I happen to find one.

11. Aug 4, 2015 at 6:02 PM
    CrawfishTaco

CrawfishTaco Alright, alright, alright

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    West Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 2.7L 5spd SR5 Xtra cab
    Me too. I was pretty excited to find one.

Products Discussed in

To Top