Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

how to confirm 4 cyl trd?

Old 07-31-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
tacomazach has a spectacular aura abouttacomazach has a spectacular aura about

Name: Zach
tacomazach's Tacoma Gallery
how to confirm 4 cyl trd?

Hey guys I've got a 99 4cyl prerunner. It has the trd stickers but not the diff lock so I just assumed the person before me just had the stickers put on. But come to find out none of the 4 bangers had the diff lock. So is there a way for me to tell if it is a true trd or just a sticker?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
does it have billsteins?
Old 07-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #3

I believe so.. but i'll have to check
Old 07-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the billies and the rims are the only other differences I think.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:05 PM   #5

I didn't know there were different types of rims for the older tacos
Old 07-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
"2002" TRD prerunner here and I got tokicos.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
There is no 4cyl. TRD package as far as i know
Old 07-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
I think maybe if you check your rear end gear fluid at 2.6 or 2.7 quarts it's probably a TRD. i might be mistaken. But after installing my locker this evening, hanes said 1.2 quarts for the 2 wheel drive with a non locker. Mine took 2.7.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:13 PM   #9

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
There is no 4cyl. TRD package as far as i know
I have a 4 cyl TRD.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #10
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i just did a little research and only v6 trd packages came with the locker and there were in fact 4cyl trd tacomas
Old 07-31-2010, 10:18 PM   #11

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
i just did a little research and only v6 trd packages came with the locker and there were in fact 4cyl trd tacomas
You are correct. My 4 cyl is a TRD with no locker. It's automatic.
Someone posted that they did in fact make a 4 cyl TRD in manual, but I cant confirm that nor have I ever seen one.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:18 PM   #12

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
sorry, I meant with an e-locker. I have a locker in it now.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:23 PM   #13

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
You are correct. My 4 cyl is a TRD with no locker. It's automatic.
Someone posted that they did in fact make a 4 cyl TRD in manual, but I cant confirm that nor have I ever seen one.
according to toyota they came out with trd in 98. and (the v6 came standard with the locker) the locker was an option i believe so im guessing it is possible someone bought the locker option on the 4. Im thinking its probably very rare because of custom options
Old 07-31-2010, 10:28 PM   #14

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
(the v6 came standard with the locker)

I dont ever think it was standard. you always had the option of choosing the e-locker.
From what I know....the 4 cyl like my TRD in auto never came with an option for an e-locker. That is fact from toyota. I have heard from another member of this forum that they did offer the option of an e-locker on the 4 cyl, manual TRD's. But I dont know this for fact.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:34 PM   #15

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
I can tell you this.
The pre runner TRD's are basically the 4x4 model toyota tacoma trucks that were built on a monday or friday. They just forgot to put in the transfer case.
Same tires, same rims, same suspension, same rear end and gearing, skid plates.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #16

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
(the v6 came standard with the locker)

I dont ever think it was standard. you always had the option of choosing the e-locker.
From what I know....the 4 cyl like my TRD in auto never came with an option for an e-locker. That is fact from toyota. I have heard from another member of this forum that they did offer the option of an e-locker on the 4 cyl, manual TRD's. But I dont know this for fact.
i meant the v6 trd came standard with locker
Old 07-31-2010, 11:13 PM   #17

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
yea. I'm not sure about that. I think even if you got the v6 you had an option of locker or no locker.
Certainly they wouldn't make you take a locker on a v6 if you didn't want it.

Anyway.....if you have a TRD and its an automatic 4 cyl. I highly suggest the powertrax no-slip. I just installed one in my "02" tacoma, TRD,SR5, doublecab 4x2 last nite and all I can say is.......wow!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:41 AM   #18
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
i've seen a v6 double cab without a locker. he noticed that i had trd stickers and he didn't. so we compared trucks, and that was the biggest difference. he had the lift, but no locker. he bought it used and didn't know what he was buying at the time
Old 08-01-2010, 10:35 AM   #19
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea. I'm not sure about that. I think even if you got the v6 you had an option of locker or no locker.
Certainly they wouldn't make you take a locker on a v6 if you didn't want it.

Anyway.....if you have a TRD and its an automatic 4 cyl. I highly suggest the powertrax no-slip. I just installed one in my "02" tacoma, TRD,SR5, doublecab 4x2 last nite and all I can say is.......wow!
Yoytoda is saying that if you got the TRD package with a v6 you got the locker standard with the package and the non trd v6s only had the locker as an option.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #20

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
Yoytoda is saying that if you got the TRD package with a v6 you got the locker standard with the package and the non trd v6s only had the locker as an option.
thank you