Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help on if this Tacoma is worth it

Old 08-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
jusfuris is on a distinguished road
jusfuris's Tacoma Gallery
Help on if this Tacoma is worth it

Hi, new member here. I have been wanting a tacoma for a while now. Actually before i bought my 2001 Dodge Ram (but it was cheaper than tacomas so i got it cause i always loved the way they look, but anyway)

so i found this in craigslist and want to know what you guys think? is it worth it? Is 150K too much to buy it at? I dont want to buy it and then drive it for a while and have it be worthless due to even higher miles at that point.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ctd/1871719913.html

Other than the miles its exactly what i wanted in a Tacoma though.

I talked to the guy and he said it has some scratches on the sides and a couple dings. He said the biggest thing is the rear bumper has a dent in it. Interior is very clean and it runs great.

I havnt seen it yet but its a little over an hour away so i thought id check with you guys before i make the drive

Thanks! and any help is greatly appreciated
Old 08-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Young Gun
MLB YOTA has a spectacular aura aboutMLB YOTA has a spectacular aura about

Name: Marshall
MLB YOTA's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if you Kelly Blue Book this but I did and it's suggested retail value is $8,960 for my area. As far as the dings and scratches might drop it a couple hundred bucks, but you can buff out those scratches probably. Since the inside is so clean I would say whoever bought it originally took good care of it, so those miles aren't as harsh as they sound, especially for a Toyota. Sounds like an amazing deal. Personally if I was looking for a Toyota I'd buy this one in a heartbeat. If it looks as good as it does in those pictures, I'd be jealous if you bought it.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a fair price if it's been well maintained. That engine has a timing belt that is supposed to be changed every 90,000 miles, so you may want to see if there is any service history available. Also, check the frame for rust.

Welcome to TW.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Young Gun

Ok just Kelley Blue Booked it for the area where the truck is, $8,490. Oh yeah listen to what he said to ^.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
cool. mileage has never been much of an issue to me as long as the vehicle has been maintained well. All of my vehicles except the dodge ram have had over 120K and been fine. i bought the ram with 72K on it and probably had the most trouble with it, though i also kept it way longer than the others.

I'll give it a look and see what i can haggle them down to and let you guys know how it goes.

thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
josh.. is on a distinguished road
josh..'s Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a good deal to me. Just check the fluids and look it over really good. But like others have said, that kind of mileage is fine if it has been maintained. I have 144k on mine and it runs amazing, never had a major problem out of it.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
Coolidge will become famous soon enough

Name: Guy
Coolidge's Tacoma Gallery
Deal!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome color. Buy it!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #9
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
The only real downside about it is it isn't 4wd. Besides that, it looks like a great deal. Its really up to you if 4x4 is worth waiting for or not.

Realistically, you're at about the point that suspension and steering parts will be starting to show some good wear, so as long as you're prepared to replace those when it needs it, you should be good to go.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
so i went and checked it out. Its got quite a good bit of decent scratches on it (these may buff down, but not out at all) A decent amount of little dings here and there. A dent on the hood about the size of a softball. but other than that, the paint was pretty decent no fading at all.

I didnt make a deal though, because when i got in it to test drive it the window motor had died (he told me it was a loose wire, but i know the signs of a dead motor vs loose wire and that has a dead motor) and get this THE CHECK ENGINE light was on! At a dealer! i just thought that was weird.

I did drive it though and that was the first tacoma ive ever driven and I loved the way it drove! It had so much power i was surprised! I even screeched the tires by accident it was so peppy.

sorry this was long, but at the end of it he would only take $6500 and to me all the little things just added up too much for me to take her home.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
oh and 4X4 isnt that big of a deal to me. It'd be kinda nice but i dont know that i want to pay extra for it. I had it on my Ram and only used it when it snowed back at my original home in NC. but here in Texas i dont see it snowing enough to need it lol.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
josh.. is on a distinguished road
josh..'s Tacoma Gallery
Yeah that sounds like a lot to deal with if he's not willing to come down on the price. Pass on it and keep your eyes open for something else.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusfuris View Post
so i went and checked it out. Its got quite a good bit of decent scratches on it (these may buff down, but not out at all) A decent amount of little dings here and there. A dent on the hood about the size of a softball. but other than that, the paint was pretty decent no fading at all.

I didnt make a deal though, because when i got in it to test drive it the window motor had died (he told me it was a loose wire, but i know the signs of a dead motor vs loose wire and that has a dead motor) and get this THE CHECK ENGINE light was on! At a dealer! i just thought that was weird.

I did drive it though and that was the first tacoma ive ever driven and I loved the way it drove! It had so much power i was surprised! I even screeched the tires by accident it was so peppy.

sorry this was long, but at the end of it he would only take $6500 and to me all the little things just added up too much for me to take her home.
Ok at the point where I saw you said that the Check Engine light was on, I was gonna tell you NOOOOOOOOOOO.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
ya definately had to pass on it. wish someone had taken care of it, even if that had ment i couldnt afford. cause it could have been a VERY NICE truck otherwise. oh well...

I found this one I'm going to check out today, its a lot closer to me so thats nice.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1850831535.html

White wouldnt be my first choice, but with some black accessories (tool box, bull bar, wheels maybe) it could look badass.

He already said that he would take $6800 on the phone, so Im gonna try to get that too atleast $6500. He's had it for sale a little while i think (could be good or bad lol)
Old 08-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusfuris View Post
ya definately had to pass on it. wish someone had taken care of it, even if that had ment i couldnt afford. cause it could have been a VERY NICE truck otherwise. oh well...

I found this one I'm going to check out today, its a lot closer to me so thats nice.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1850831535.html

White wouldnt be my first choice, but with some black accessories (tool box, bull bar, wheels maybe) it could look badass.

He already said that he would take $6800 on the phone, so Im gonna try to get that too atleast $6500. He's had it for sale a little while i think (could be good or bad lol)
Ask about that engine, it looks nothing like my 2001. Might have some modification to it.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #16
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Good deal if you don't mind the slightly highish mileage.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #17
went and checked it out. This was a pretty nice truck. It does have plenty of little dings on it but since its white they really arent too noticeable. The interior is clean. It drove really nice and the engine bay was SUPER clean. The guy seemed like a pretty good guy too. he's the second owner and has owned it for 3yrs.

I tried to get him lower than $6800 but could only get him to $6700. I'm gonna call him today and see if he'll take $6500 cause thats the most I can do and is actually pushing it.

oh and the white actually looked REALLY nice in person, so the color is no longer an issue.