Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

swing out rear bumper..?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Nitronick will become famous soon enoughNitronick will become famous soon enough
Name: Nick
Nitronick's Tacoma Gallery
swing out rear bumper..?

anybody make one yet for there first gen? I was thinking about fabbing one up, but has someone done it without the rear tire carrier? Im not a big fan of the look of it when it sticks out over the tailgate unless there is a canopy.

so...my plan was to make one with a holder for 2 5 gallon gas cans, high lift, 4 foot shovel and possibly an axe. so anyone do this? if so what would you think would be the best way to mount them? staking them parrel with the tailgate? an idea's would be awesome
Old 08-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and sorry that it has a tire carrier...but I could have just as easily skipped the tire and put cans, jack, and tools like you mentioned. It's just a rectangular metal bar welded to a trailer bearing (for a spindle).
Old 08-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Nitronick will become famous soon enoughNitronick will become famous soon enough
Name: Nick
Nitronick's Tacoma Gallery
sweeet lookin bumper

so what did you use for the bracket? im assuming you went of the existing one, but what thickness of metal did you use? i have like quarter inch, and figured that should be plently good.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
if you dont want a tire on the back...

what i would do is mount them flat so they aren't sticking out far, about 3.5' apart, and mount your hilift, shovel, and axe to the can holders.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
benh2olmes is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Forest Service Hotshot
benh2olmes's Tacoma Gallery
Here's what I built for mine, no brackets for my high-lift or shovel yet. Always a work in progress.
Attached Thumbnails
swing out rear bumper..?-img_0133.jpg   swing out rear bumper..?-img_0139.jpg   swing out rear bumper..?-img_0142.jpg   swing out rear bumper..?-img_0143.jpg   swing out rear bumper..?-img_0138.jpg  

swing out rear bumper..?-p6300009.jpg   swing out rear bumper..?-p6300007.jpg