1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Purchased a 2001 4x4 what maintenance

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ricky B, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Jun 25, 2008 at 8:28 AM
    Ricky B

Ricky B [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    I just got my first tacoma. Its a 2001 crew cab 4x4. I found the owners manual and thats it. The guy I bought it off was the only owner and has done no maintenance but oil and filter. It has 94,000. Do I just need to take it in to the Toyota place and tell them this. I would think it needs the works. Any help would be apprecaited. Rick

2. Jun 25, 2008 at 8:48 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Take it in for the full 90,000 mile svc AND you gotta have the timing belt replaced, along with all the side components therein. Expect to pay about $12-1300 dollars and MAKE sure they replace the spark plugs. You just bought this truck so I assume you plan on it being a keeper-therefore this is money well-spent! You have a fantastic truck...unfortunately the first owner was a bonehead so you have to catch up the maintainance. But really, all that's due now IS the timing belt which is the bulk of the cost (labor) so all he missed really on maintainance was the tuneup.:)

3. Jun 25, 2008 at 8:57 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Welcome to the site!

4. Jun 25, 2008 at 8:25 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    ya like runner said the biggest thing is get ur timing belt replaced and I would probably go ahead and change all your fluids.

Good luck with ur truck u got a good one!!

5. Jun 25, 2008 at 9:39 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    I agree...get the timing belt (and all belts for that matter) replaced, and change all fluids while you're at it (i.e., oil, trans, diff(s), and steering). If you're mechanically inclined, see the Factory Service Manual sticky, and you can save some money on the fluid exchange by doing it yourself...plus you'll know it's done correctly.

I'd add: Hit all lube points (they're likely low/dry if the prior owner didn't fill/lube it regularly), and check w/your dealer for TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) for stuff like ball joints, etc.

BTW, good pick on the Tacoma!

6. Jun 26, 2008 at 8:45 AM
    Ricky B

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    Ok It looks like I will do a lot of this myself. I will grease the driveshafts and change the differential and transfer case oil. My question is on the 2001 is there a transmission filter. I don't think there is, but I wanted to change the transmission fluid and it looks like all I do is drain and replace??? Thanks

7. Jun 27, 2008 at 8:04 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    My advice is to drain and refill...I don't think there's a filter (but don't quote me on that). I recently did mine: Drain and refill only. Be sure to buy enough fluid...mine took +/- 4 quarts of T-IV (if I'm remembering correctly). Check the "Factory Service Manual" sticky for your engine/transmission combo, and it should give you an estimate of how much fluid you'll need.

Post some pics of your truck too.

8. Jul 5, 2008 at 9:05 AM
    des kaiser

des kaiser Member

Member:
    How's the frame look on your 01? Just curious.

9. Jul 5, 2008 at 9:07 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    while theyre disassembling for the tbelt...have them change the water pump...its probably leaking

10. Jul 5, 2008 at 10:54 AM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    Did the guy live locally at your location? If the hometown dealer did indeed service it a few times they ought to be able to give you some of the trucks history. Just a thought as well as the wise advice from the above. Especially the water pump replacement.

11. Jul 15, 2008 at 12:50 PM
    Ricky B

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    1998 XCAB
    Sorry I haven't look at this thread in a while. I was under my truck a lot yesterday and the frame looks great. The truck has always been in Arkansas so no salt here. I will keep an eye on it. Rick

Products Discussed in

To Top