Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Replacement Shocks

Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
gudi82 is on a distinguished road
gudi82's Tacoma Gallery
Replacement Shocks

I wanted to know what is the best shocks out there when you have a ARB winch bumber with a winch attached to hold up the front end and the rear?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #2
Dedicated Crew Chief
AKTacoma has a spectacular aura aboutAKTacoma has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chris
AKTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Is your truck lifted? or want to lift it if not?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
billstein 5100's or OME coil springs and some deavers for the back
Old 08-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
It's alright...They know me here
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudi82 View Post
I wanted to know what is the best shocks out there when you have a ARB winch bumber with a winch attached to hold up the front end and the rear?
Welcome to TW.

With an ARB bumper and winch you've probably added a good 180-200 extra pounds on the front. Unfortunately, the stock Tacoma springs will sag under this much added weight.

To overcome the sag you have several choices available. As mentioned by others, Bilstein makes a replacement shock that allows you to raise the front of the truck back up to stock height or even higher than stock. But that wont really fix the bigger problem. With an ARB and winch, replacing the front springs is the best option and while your doing that might as well replace the shocks.

When AKTacoma asked if you were thinking lifting the truck higher that stock, it is because that is what you must decide first. Everything else flows from there. If your front springs are sagging, more that likely the rear springs are as well.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
gudi82 is on a distinguished road
gudi82's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking to keep it stock for now.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
It's alright...They know me here
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
I was thinking to keep it stock for now.
If you are asking the question I would guess that your front end is sagging. Possibly from the added weight of the bumper and winch.

Is that why you are asking?

Replacing shocks alone will not do anything. The shocks are not what holds up the front end. It is the springs that do that.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
The way I see it is you have 2 general price ranges that you can decide on:

Good - Bilstein 5100's or Old Man Emu's

Better - 2.5" or 3.0", adjustable, rebuildable coilovers (Sway-Away, Icon, Fox, etc.)

Of course there's always long travel, but it doesn't sound like you want to spend that much money.