LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brake lights work only when headlights are off

Old 08-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
THE ROCKOMA is on a distinguished road

THE ROCKOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Question Brake lights work only when headlights are off

First, I noticed that my front left parking light stopped working consistantly when I turned on the headlights, but the blinker works perfectly. Then, I noticed that when I depressed the brake pedal, when the headlights were off, the right parking light would light up as well as the brake lights (stop lights). When the headlights are on, the brake lights are constantly on and if I depress the brake pedal they do not light up brighter than the taillights to show I am braking.

I have already done the basic troubleshooting and diagnostics as well as removed extra add-ons like cb, brake-force unit, ect. I currently have the center console off as well as cover where ashtray and cig lighter are in order to access those wires.

Everything seems to be okay.

Do I need to take the dashboard off and check the relays and wiring inside there?

Or any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I can't be of much help, but it sounds like a ground somewhere. I had a similar issue with mine. The parking lights came on with the brakes. My trailer wiring convertor box was the culprit.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #3

Yeah..the trailer converter was the first thing I disconnected...but the problem still remained.

I'm just going to take the dash off and check there.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
check your bulbs,sometimes the 2 lead contacts on the bottom of the bulbs squishes out and touches the other contact
Old 08-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbob View Post
check your bulbs,sometimes the 2 lead contacts on the bottom of the bulbs squishes out and touches the other contact
x2

Also check the filaments to see if any are broken. I have seen a dual filament bulb fail and cause a short between the parking light and brake light circuit. There were all kinds of crazy symptoms and no one thought to check the bulbs. Simple stuff first.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Have you done a corner blinker mod or any other lighting mods in the front?

Your headlights are on a completely different circuit from the parking lights (which are powered off the taillight circuit). A bulb or wiring fault in the tails would explain weird front parking light behavior, but not anything involving the headlights.

A fault (bad ground; shot bulb; short) in the rear, combined with a fault in the combination switch (light control stalk) might explain these symptoms.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #7

I will definitely keep that in mind this weekend when I check inside dash...Thanks!