1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Blew my speakers

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mr.Fahrenheit, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Aug 10, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    Mr.Fahrenheit

Mr.Fahrenheit [OP] Dennis = sinneD

Member:
    American Canyon, California
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4L 5spd TRD
    K&N CAI, HUSKY LINERS, LOW PRO TOOL BOX, GRAY WIRE MOD, OPTIMA RED TOP, GOODRIDGE STEEL BRAKE LINES, FAB TECH LIFT,
    Hey guys,

so last weekend went camping and blew my front door speakers. have stock head unit and dont plan on changing it. just want a good set of front door speakers that will last my abuse. i listen to music loud and was happy with the stock setup. i've tried research on here but cant come up with a good replacement. im assuming they are 5x7 but everyone says something different.

found a set of used speakers for 25 buck on craigslist but if there is a good solid set that i would have to worry about id rather spend the money....thanks guys;)

2. Aug 11, 2010 at 4:58 AM
    Regretless Rob

Regretless Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Chino CA USA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    Painted my stock rims black and polished my lugs, New jvc head unit with 2 12" subs with shut of switch, Side mirrors tinted, FULLBLOWN FM-74267 muffler, In dash wiring for my Garmin 750 GPS & 3Gs Iphone dock with aux plug and charger in dash, Three more cigarette lighter plus under my head unit also in dash, strobe head lights for the hell of ithttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qumylyXOig,
    speakers types that go in a TOYOTA TACOMA 2001 truck, along with their location: Front: 6" x 8"; Rear: 5" x 7" and if i was you go with a after market head unit if your going to go with some good speakers. I would also change the back speakers as well cuz the old ones are going to blow a few days having the new one in there. If your going to keep your old head unit then just get sum cheap speakers cuz the new head unit will have a lot better pre amp so the older speakers and the cheap speaker will not last long.. pm me if you need any help with anything.. (08

3. Aug 16, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    Mr.Fahrenheit

Mr.Fahrenheit [OP] Dennis = sinneD

Member:
    American Canyon, California
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco 3.4L 5spd TRD
    K&N CAI, HUSKY LINERS, LOW PRO TOOL BOX, GRAY WIRE MOD, OPTIMA RED TOP, GOODRIDGE STEEL BRAKE LINES, FAB TECH LIFT,
    so it it sounds like if i want good sound im going to have to change everything........darn.

4. Aug 17, 2010 at 6:07 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    You can add some infinity speakers from bestbuy right in there and it will sounds fine. The backs are probably fine, they produce less than the fronts. If you have tweeters in your door get a component speaker.

5. Aug 17, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    I am looking at some upgrades, too. Spend a little quality time on the Crutchfield site. You can specify your truck, and they will list everything they have that will work in it. This should help you narrow down options.

I want everything to look stock, so I am trying to avoid a new HU and just hook up an Ipod adpater so I can at least have that convenience. I'd also like new speakers that fit behind the stock grills.

For the speakers, if you keep the stock HU, you'll want "high efficiency" speakers that are optimized to run without lots of amplification. I won't pretend to know all the details, but that is one thing I have learned so far as I 've started researching options. And as someone else indicated, you'll likely need the separate component speakers (which come with crossovers, and will proabably be about $100), but I suppose it may be possible to substitute a coax speaker and abandon the tweeter if the factory wiring can be easily adapted and that is something you want to do. I have not had it apart yet, so I am not even sure how the stock unit handles the crossover issue/where they are located.

As far as size, I was at Best Buy this weekend checking out some Alpine components, and when they looked up the max front door size, their system said 6.5 inch. Depth would be another limiting factor to consider if you went with the max. diameter size. Some adapter plates/rings may be necessary.

On the Crutchfield site, I think they say 5x7 max, but I think that is assuming the stock existing mounting points and opening without any adpaters. However, oval speakers do not produce optimal sound, so I am focused on round speakers.

I'd be really interested to hear to audio geeks share their wisdom on this issue...

6. Aug 17, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    pm ItalynStylion he should be able to help you out

Products Discussed in

To Top