Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

fan clutch or radiator?? help!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
kjp535i is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
kjp535i's Tacoma Gallery
fan clutch or radiator?? help!!!

truck overheating over long period of time. doesn't go to red or anything, but does go well above normal. accelerating will make it go down, but will eventually go up again. turning the heater on will also make it go down. pretty sure it is the fan clutch or the radiator. anyone know a sure fire way tell which one???
Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
What yr truck?
Is the fan belt missing? or coolant level low?
Old 08-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
kjp535i's Tacoma Gallery
everything is up too par..... trying to let the engine heat up now to see if I'm able to stop the fan.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
kjp535i's Tacoma Gallery
I can however have the radiator cap off at normal running temp. not seeing much movement in the water if any. should i see it moving?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Member Extraordinaire
cinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcinch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al
cinch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjp535i View Post
I can however have the radiator cap off at normal running temp. not seeing much movement in the water if any. should i see it moving?

That depends on if the coolant temperature is hotter than the thermostat opening temperature. At normal running temp the thermostat may stay closed until the temp rises.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
TGurau is on a distinguished road
Marines: Former Seargent, NCOIC
Name: Tibi
TGurau's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem a few months ago. It ended up being both, but I knew the fan clutch was bad because I could stop the fan with my bare hands while the truck was running. Try to CAREFULLY stop the fan clutch with a rag or something and if u succeed, change it. If the problem persists, change the radiator too (I did both).
Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Typically, truck overheating at highway speed but not at low speeds in town points to a radiator issue. If it only overheats at lower speeds in town, typically a fan issue.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
that's a 96
when was the last time a thermostat was changed?
when revving it up it can force a stuck one to open till you slow down on the revs

and should be pretty cheap to replace

X2 ,

Yep smart money says its a stat issue......

Also check your hoses for soft spots......
Old 08-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
& I wouldn't recommend EVER putting any body part/foreign object into anything spinning on the motor when its running (even if you've been getting away with it) You don't have to in order to check the fan clutch, With engine OFF you can grasp the fan blades & check for side to side slop if you have an excess , fan probably on its way out, if you can't turn the fan at all with hands, the fan clutch is history, if you have relatively smooth resistance when turning the fan, the clutch is good & your problem is else where......
Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
mattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattleegee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattleegee's Tacoma Gallery
check your clutch fan with it off? my froze up but didnt cause overheating

x3 on stat
not flowing
Old 08-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattleegee View Post
check your clutch fan with it off? my froze up but didnt cause overheating

x3 on stat
not flowing
Well if it froze up, like I said the clutch is history & can you imagine what would happen to your hands/arms if as suggested "try to stop the fan with your hands or use a rag" ?

Remember the fan is froze & the motor is running (but you don't know the fan is froze yet thats why you're testing it )

Now put your hand down there & try to stop it !!

Like I said do it with the engine off...

We already agree on the stat though..
Old 08-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #12
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Well if it froze up, like I said the clutch is history & can you imagine what would happen to your hands/arms if as suggested "try to stop the fan with your hands or use a rag" ?

Remember the fan is froze & the motor is running (but you don't know the fan is froze yet thats why you're testing it )

Now put your hand down there & try to stop it !!

Like I said do it with the engine off...

We already agree on the stat though..

My dad told me when I was a kid he knew a guy that was working on his car and his shirt got caught in the fan blade and sucked his arm in.( A metal fan blade too= No Arm.) No Joke either. Touching a fan blade at 1000 rpms may not be too safe.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
Dedicated Crew Chief
AKTacoma has a spectacular aura aboutAKTacoma has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chris
AKTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i had a similar issue a while ago, I ended up having a bad thermostat and fan clutch, and for safe measure and because it was cheap, the radiator cap.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #14
TGurau is on a distinguished road
Marines: Former Seargent, NCOIC
Name: Tibi
TGurau's Tacoma Gallery
In my defense, I was wearing mechanix gloves when I did this and I found it out by accident. One thing i did notice when i changed the fan clutch is the air flow. There should be a lot of airflow coming from your engine when it's on. If there isn't... well, that's self explanatory.
I changed the thermostat too, it didn't help. It was the first thing i changed. Also, this whole highway/city driving idea isn't supported by my experiences. I had a bad fan clutch and a bad radiator and when i changed the fan clutch (i did this first) i still had overheating issues on and off the highway.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
What about the sending unit giving a false reading?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #16
kjp535i's Tacoma Gallery
You guys are all crazy!!! I never said i stopped it with my hand!!! I used my friends hand... I'm not that stupid..lol
Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #17
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjp535i View Post
You guys are all crazy!!! I never said i stopped it with my hand!!! I used my friends hand... I'm not that stupid..lol

lol