Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Exhuast Manifold

Old 08-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
sisalee is on a distinguished road
sisalee's Tacoma Gallery
Exhuast Manifold

I have a 99 Toyota Tacoma. I bought it about 2 years ago. When I purchased it I had a cracked exhaust manifold that I had replaced with a new one in October of '08 since then the new one has cracked (I am estimating this happend about 4 or 5 months ago) Does anyone know what might be causing this to repetitively happen?
Old 08-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisalee View Post
I have a 99 Toyota Tacoma. I bought it about 2 years ago. When I purchased it I had a cracked exhaust manifold that I had replaced with a new one in October of '08 since then the new one has cracked (I am estimating this happend about 4 or 5 months ago) Does anyone know what might be causing this to repetitively happen?
Which motor? 3.4L, 2.7L or 2.4L?
Old 08-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
sisalee's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust Manifold

2.7l
Old 08-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
vapovick is on a distinguished road
vapovick's Tacoma Gallery
Im interested in this as well. I just replaced mine, 117.00 from O'reillys. When I pull the old one it had a crack all the way around, I intentionally dropped it from about 3 feet, and it split in two, there was only about 30mm where it was attached prior to the drop. Only about 30mm didnt have rust on it, in the process (before installing the new EM I blew both O2 sensors, bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 1 sensor 2, quite an expensive fix. Its working like a champ now (crossing fingers) and all engine lights are off. good luck!
Old 08-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Where is it cracking? Your exhaust flange may not be truly flat, which may put strain on the manifold. Then when it heats and cools it expands and contracts. Then it gets weak and cracks.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Very common for the 2.7 engine. Mine was cracked really bad when I bought my truck. So bad that you could smell exhaust when the heater was on.

I would recommend buying a set of headers (solid steel tubing=stronger and less prone to cracking). Stay away from Pacesetter, though. I've heard bad things about them and you get what you pay for. I got a set of ceramic Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers from TRDparts4u.com for under $400.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
sisalee's Tacoma Gallery
Exhaust Manifold

I have been talking with a few local mechanics regarding my situation. I was able to get my Dorman Manifold replaced through lifetime warranty but will have to pay someone to do the labor again. The mechanic I am working with told me that Tacoma's are known for this happening as well as Jeep Wranglers. "It's like a design flaw" He also told me it could be the manifold itself, and I could have gotten a bad one. Any thoughts on this?.........