LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Goodbye Axle Wrap Mod

Old 07-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #181
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Randomly when I am releasing the clutch starting off in first gear, my truck bounces around. Sometimes at a ridiculous magnitude. I've been driving manuals all my life, and this truck for 13 years, so I know it's not my driving. Plus like I said it only happens randomly.

I tired diagnosing it to see if it only happened when the tires are super cold in winter... or humid, or arid, or hot... Climate has no bearing on this. Nor does the temp of the engine. It happens when the engine is cold, or operating at normal temps.

Is this bouncing around a symptom of axle wrap? My truck has been doing this for years.
Mine kinda did the something. Just did this mod yesterday and it stopped 85% of all the shuttering IT WORKS
Old 08-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #182
kaymonster is on a distinguished road

Navy:
kaymonster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson7 View Post
I did both front and back clamps too. Basically I positioned the clamps as far from the axel as possible, but still so the clamp was grabbing all three leafs. There's probably 2 inches sticking out beyond the clamps on the shortest of the three leafs.
Did mine exactly like this tonight and it works perfectly...no more axle wrap.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #183
kaymonster is on a distinguished road

Navy:
kaymonster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson7 View Post
If anybody is wondering, here's the clamp kit I bought:

Oh, and thats the same kit i used.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #184
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Does this mod reduce the articulation off-roading, the drop the rear suspension needs to keep both rear tires on the ground?
Old 08-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #185
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyface View Post
Does this mod reduce the articulation off-roading, the drop the rear suspension needs to keep both rear tires on the ground?
Not sure about how it affects flexing but it does make the back stiffer, so im guessing it will affect it.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #186
Agk007 is on a distinguished road
Agk007's Tacoma Gallery
Hey everyone, i have a 2012 Taco that has the 3 leaf set. Since off the lot it squats bad on acceleration and feels kinda weak in the rear. I want to stiffen up the rear with this mod, but i also noticed some guys said it helped with shudder? my truck has the dreaded shudder on acceleration and braking. Would this mod help that as well? i can only think the shudder is exacerbated because of axle wrap since it changes driveline angles. since its mostly on acceleration i feel this vibration, would it be right to put the clamps behind the axle instead of the front since when you accelerate the axle turns up so the springs fan at the back?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #187
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is the 1st gen section but I have a 2nd gen also and added my old set of under-leaf helper springs to the front and a set of overleaf helpers to the back. It definitely makes a difference without making the ride harsh.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #188
RTO
FailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shedFailRated is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
FailRated's Tacoma Gallery
I always wondered why I didn't have the horrible axle wrap everyone always talks about and I have 1" lift blocks on stock springs

I installed similar helper springs about 6 years ago when I was pulling a heavy trailer everyday. Only difference is mine seem to be a little more vehicle specific and are mounted behind the axle and on top of the leaf spring(see photo below). They are now loosened up almost completely since I don't really tow much anymore but they are still on there and I still have zero axle wrap.

Quote:
Mine seems to do pretty well and my shocks are too short as well.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #189
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
great write up. I installed the advance auto parts under leaf helpers today behind the axle and I also bought the extra U bolts and mounted before axle. I'm still hearing the THUD when i shift into drive from reverse but i did notice it happens less often and is a little quieter. also my rear suspension is super stiff now so tomorrow i'm going to re-do it. I'm going to take out the rivets for the "medium" load lowering the load capacity to a "small" and adjust the distances between the four U bolts and the axle.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
great write up. I installed the advance auto parts under leaf helpers today behind the axle and I also bought the extra U bolts and mounted before axle. I'm still hearing the THUD when i shift into drive from reverse but i did notice it happens less often and is a little quieter. also my rear suspension is super stiff now so tomorrow i'm going to re-do it. I'm going to take out the rivets for the "medium" load lowering the load capacity to a "small" and adjust the distances between the four U bolts and the axle.
thats probably your drive shaft
Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #191
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinramsay View Post
thats probably your drive shaft
so should i grease it? and if so how and what do i use?

for now i removed the leaf helper, placed the u bolts in front of axle 5in and in rear of axle about 1/4 from break line
Old 10-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #192
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
That hardware stack up needs a flat washer really bad or the lock washer won't do it's job right. It already doesn't look like the nut's properly tightened, maybe because it's not seated right.

Just sayin'...

Otherwise, for as cheap as those helpers are it looks like something I'm gonna try some day... good write up!
Just an FYI, you never should use a flat washer with a lock washer. It defeats the purpose of a lock washer. The lock washer edges are designed to bite into the nut, and the surface you are tightening against. If you put a flat washer under the locking washer, then the lock washer will bite into the nut and the flat washer....which is simply pressed against the surface. This would allow the POTENTIAL (Re-read that word, I did not say guarantee) that a nut installed this way could loosen up.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #193
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Bamatoy1997: i cant stop watching that blonde in your signature lol
Old 10-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #194
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Step 1, move mouse to upper right corner or browser tab
Step 2, place cursor over little "X"
Step 3, close eyes
Step 4, Just say "click!"

lol
Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #195
wannabe92z is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Mike
wannabe92z's Tacoma Gallery
Just did this mod tonight...axle wrap gone and it definitely improved the ride and throttle response. AWESOME!!!

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...CyflVjtTfMDY3E
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #196
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
This U bolt clamping of the leaf spring pak
is the worst bandaide idea I've read of.
possibly even unsafe

mfg'r designed leaf spring u bracket clamps are not U bolt clamps...
and do not sandwich (clamp) individual leafs together.
usually the lower U bracket is riveted to a lower leaf in the pack
and the upper closure of that is a roller (bolt w/roller sleeve)

individual leafs that are clamped cannot flex properly during compression.
this can cause a bouncier ride at the rear.
because the individual leafs in the pak are binding.

when individual leafs in a pack are compressed...
not only do they bend (flex)...
but they also shift outward of the center of the leaf pack.

installing U bolt clamps to limit leaf spring movement...
isn't a proper correction for axle wrap.

I had Deaver custom build me some 9lf paks...
with consideration of the common axle wrap issue.
What was engineered, eliminated axle wrap to nearly nonexistent.
and with minimal compromising of the leaf paks full flexibility.

Generally most axle wrap occurs at the forward end of the leaf pak.
There, the leaf pak will twist and arch when under load.
Stiffening up the forward side of the leaf pak will help
in combating axle wrap.
Too stiff tho' and it could degrade compression/droop travel some.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #197
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Spring clamps will work. They're not unsafe, they are cheap, and they will likely wear out your spring pack quicker than other options.

A traction bar is the best fix for the axle wrap issue; understandably many people may not want to go to the cost and trouble of having one done up right. Unless you're working the truck hard offroad or regularly towing heavy loads, it's probably not needed.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #198
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ X2 ...but not the more common ladder type traction bars.

more similar to this single trac bar...

^ edited for replacement pictar
Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #199
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Nah...you need the ladder frame type. A single bar heimed at each end won't effectively limit axle housing rotation. Putting one end on a less flexible joint (say, just a bolt and bushing) might be adequate, but will likely bind with suspension articulation.

Ladder-type bar rigidly mounted to the axle housing with a heim/shackle connection to a frame crossmember is ideal on these trucks.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #200
Truck ~n~ Tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Nah...you need the ladder frame type. A single bar heimed at each end won't effectively limit axle housing rotation.
I typed single... meaning... only one

Not a single bar (tube)

yes I suppose a "A" frame could still be considered a ladder bar
so that was a poor choice in wording on my part.

that is why I put the picture up.
tho' maybe not a perfect example... it brings it closer.