Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Goodbye Axle Wrap Mod

Old 08-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #21
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtigerfan View Post
but you know what i'm talking about right? the way the rear tires feel like they're hopping and you don't have as much traction accelerating? it only happens to me on sand.
It's axle wrap.. you can fix it by clamping a u-bolt on the leaf pack between the front mounting point and the axle.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:49 AM   #22
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywen View Post
Hey FYI.. the help spring does nothing.

All you really need is the U bolts and just clamp it down on the leafs real tight.

This is what I have on my truck.

Also it helps to put a couple of luck nut on each side of the u-bolt. This will prevent it from loosening over time. However, if you torque it down real good, like 50lbs, that should be okay too.

that is all i did and it worked like a charm. all the clamps do is keep the leaf pack from separating which in turn is what causes the wrap. ...i installed them right in front of the u bolt top plate. ..actually just butted the clamp right up against the plate and torqued it down. haven't noticed a single instance of axle wrap since and it cost me a total of $28.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:58 AM   #23
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Firefighter: Goddamned Paratrooper
Name: Mike
jackwithcorona's Tacoma Gallery
so this would work on a second gen no problem then? i see it being fine since it works on all leaf spring packs. i hope it will help, seeing as my rear spring tsb didn't help with axle wrap
Old 08-16-2010, 06:01 AM   #24
Space Wrangler is on a distinguished road

Name: JCT
Space Wrangler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwithcorona View Post
so this would work on a second gen no problem then? i see it being fine since it works on all leaf spring packs. i hope it will help, seeing as my rear spring tsb didn't help with axle wrap

indeed. ...it will work on all leaf sprung vehicles. ..you just need to make sure the spring clamp is the correct width for your springs. the ones i used were "universal" and are a bit wider than need be. ...i may make my own one day ..but for now, the axle wrap is gone and i'm happy.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:51 AM   #25
jackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the roughjackwithcorona is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Wrangler View Post
indeed. ...it will work on all leaf sprung vehicles. ..you just need to make sure the spring clamp is the correct width for your springs. the ones i used were "universal" and are a bit wider than need be. ...i may make my own one day ..but for now, the axle wrap is gone and i'm happy.
so where does the u bolt go? im not mounting the spring, ill just take the advice and just mount the u bolts. I know it was explained already and I just wanna make sure, seeing as it was explained with regards to a first gen, and im not sure how similar our suspension set ups may be
Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #26
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwithcorona View Post
so where does the u bolt go? im not mounting the spring, ill just take the advice and just mount the u bolts. I know it was explained already and I just wanna make sure, seeing as it was explained with regards to a first gen, and im not sure how similar our suspension set ups may be
Leaf springs are leaf springs. no difference between the various trucks.

Look at the OP's picture, the same place where he had the u-bolts, you do it the same way, but without the helper spring
Old 08-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #27
iDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the rough

Name: Luke
iDigTulsa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Wrangler View Post
All you really need is the U-Bolts, just clamp them down real tight, that is all i did and it worked like a charm. all the clamps do is keep the leaf pack from separating which in turn is what causes the wrap. ...i installed them right in front of the u bolt top plate. ..actually just butted the clamp right up against the plate and torqued it down. haven't noticed a single instance of axle wrap since and it cost me a total of $28.
...Sounds like I spent a $1.99 too much!!

I appreciate the input from everyone so far, thank you for providing further proof that this set-up truly does diminish the effects of our Axel Wrap. From the look of things the general consensus at this point is that you can either spend your time and money tracking down universal U-Bolts and mounting plates that will fit your springs or purchase the kit and install all or even half of supplied components....either way, you get to enjoy the same benefit for the same price.

As I mentioned in the write-up, and as others have supported, this will apply to other years, body styles and even other vehicles with tired leaf springs. The only reason the write-up is for a 1st Gen Tacoma is because that's what I drive, but the application procedure for either method you choose is basically universal for any vehicle with leaf springs. As Ywen mentioned in Post #20 there are write ups available for other vehicles on separate forums across the internet. Since I could not locate a good step by step procedure for those of us on the 1st Gen side of the forum here at TW, especially those like myself that are not quite "mechanically inclined", I documented my project to show a little love to all of us that still rock the 1st Gen Tacomas.

Keep the feedback coming, especially after some of you decide to do the install of your chosen set-up.

Luke
Old 08-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Leaf springs are leaf springs. no difference between the various trucks.

Look at the OP's picture, the same place where he had the u-bolts, you do it the same way, but without the helper spring
outstanding...
OP sorry about the thread jack... good idea on bringing this post over from some of the other forums
Old 08-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #29
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDigTulsa View Post

That hardware stack up needs a flat washer really bad or the lock washer won't do it's job right. It already doesn't look like the nut's properly tightened, maybe because it's not seated right.

Just sayin'...

Otherwise, for as cheap as those helpers are it looks like something I'm gonna try some day... good write up!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #30
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...Sounds like I spent a $1.99 too much!!

I appreciate the input from everyone so far, thank you for providing further proof that this set-up truly does diminish the effects of our Axel Wrap. From the look of things the general consensus at this point is that you can either spend your time and money tracking down universal U-Bolts and mounting plates that will fit your springs or purchase the kit and install all or even half of supplied components....either way, you get to enjoy the same benefit for the same price.
The Autozone stores sells a brand of the helper springs you've shown in your pictures. From the same brand as the helper springs kit, the company also sells twin packs of u bolts. The exact same u bolts that come in the helper springs kit. They go for like $11 or $14, complete with the plates, bolts, and washers. I forget, but this is all you need. I made the same mistake of buying the whole spring kit, now I have a couple pieces of springs sitting around, which I will throw away.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:57 AM   #31
iDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
That hardware stack up needs a flat washer really bad or the lock washer won't do it's job right. It already doesn't look like the nut's properly tightened, maybe because it's not seated right.

Just sayin'...
FYI and Additional Clarification for those who tackle this project - That photo was PRIOR to fully tightening the nut all the way down on the U-Bolt. Buddywh1 brought up a good point that deserves some attention. Make sure that the nut on the U-Bolt looks like the one on the photo below after everything is aligned and you fully torque everything tight, regardless of which method you choose this will still apply.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #32

Quote:
The Autozone stores sells a brand of the helper springs you've shown in your pictures. From the same brand as the helper springs kit, the company also sells twin packs of u bolts. The exact same u bolts that come in the helper springs kit. They go for like $11 or $14, complete with the plates, bolts, and washers. I forget, but this is all you need. I made the same mistake of buying the whole spring kit, now I have a couple pieces of springs sitting around, which I will throw away.
Excellent news man, the more money we can save the better this project gets! Post some pics of your set-up so that everyone who checks this out will be able to see how they should mount their U-Bolts and Bracket from that kit if that's the route they choose. I'm sure i'm not the only "visual" person on TW who better relates to pictures of what I'm supposed to do as opposed to written instructions.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #33
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Excellent news man, the more money we can save the better this project gets! Post some pics of your set-up so that everyone who checks this out will be able to see how they should mount their U-Bolts and Bracket from that kit if that's the route they choose. I'm sure i'm not the only "visual" person on TW who better relates to pictures of what I'm supposed to do as opposed to written instructions.
My setup looks just like your's sans the helper spring.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #34
vegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jamie
vegetopia's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to vegetopia Send a message via MSN to vegetopia
Fantastic thread! Now I'm faced with a dilemma: Replace my entire suspension with OME goodies front and back, or acquiesce to the fact my truck is 7 yrs old and save $1200 by just doing this mod instead of replacing everything....

hmmm, think I'll still get the OMEs heh.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #35
Taco.Tim is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
Taco.Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Good writeup. Looks like it works kind of like a traction bar.

Tim
Old 08-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #36
The One, The Only
da0023 is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up some u-bolts at AutoZone on my way home from work for 14.99, just got them installed about 15 mins ago. I'll take it for a test drive after I eat supper and post the results. Fingers Crossed.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #37
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
FYI and Additional Clarification for those who tackle this project - That photo was PRIOR to fully tightening the nut all the way down on the U-Bolt. .....
Didn't know that little detail!

Hey thanks...your write up inspired me to stop by my local Advance and pick up a set on the way home and put 'em on before supper. All I can say is WOW, it really is nice to have the thump gone at the stops!

But it doesn't stop there: it's a little hard to describe but the best I can come up with is the truck feels more connected with better throttle response; probably because nothing lost in 'winding up' the axle with each acceleration! It also made the truck ride a little firmer; more like a truck. As one should expect since it's effectively increasing the spring rate in the rear.

By the way: I noticed you didn't use the rivet and I didn't either. Using the rivet increases the pre-load on the springs (I might put it in later on once the springs have broken in some). But it looks like if you put the rivet in on the driver side only it just might cure the infamous taco lean too.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #38
Quote:
The only component that's applying pressure to the leaf pack is the u bolts. The other end of the helper spring is a weak bracket that does nothing other than preventing the helper spring from sliding side ways and hit the tire. You don't need the helper spring. Just the u-bolts. Trust me......
I've no doubt the u-bolt alone is effective, but using the spring can only add to the effect (just look at the load transfer through the helper as the axle wraps.)

And you get the additional benefit of some small amount of extra load capacity... maybe not like an AAL but everything helps...possibly off-setting the weakening of an aged spring pack.

And besides...it's really cheap!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #39
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
I've no doubt the u-bolt alone is effective, but using the spring can only add to the effect (just look at the load transfer through the helper as the axle wraps.)

And you get the additional benefit of some small amount of extra load capacity... maybe not like an AAL but everything helps...possibly off-setting the weakening of an aged spring pack.

And besides...it's really cheap!
the problem with the spring is that the way in which we mount it, it will travel forward and push into the front bushing. The flimsy bracket on the opposite end of the u bolts will eventually twist and bend and break.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #40
"thats what she said"
01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future

Name: joe
01taquito's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by da0023 View Post
I picked up some u-bolts at AutoZone on my way home from work for 14.99, just got them installed about 15 mins ago. I'll take it for a test drive after I eat supper and post the results. Fingers Crossed.
cant wait to do mine... prolly just do the u-bolts. and yeah, a washer between the nut and lock washer is common practice... i thought