Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hayden Transmission Oil Cooler Install

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #61
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero4 View Post
Cool, please report back with your results. Man I wish I had a SG now just for the trans temp readout.
Light to medium trails. I would guess I worked the truck about as hard as previous trails. Outside temps were easily in the 90s.

Highest I saw the trans temp get was about 190 when I was going up a pretty steep, semi-long hill. It wasn't 4L steep, but it did cross my mind. Most of the time it seemed to be in the 170s. Quite a bit better than the previous trail runs of reaching 250 and makes me feel a lot better.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #62
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Guys, I have a 2002 2.4 4 banger with the auto trans. Which model tranny is this as I will be towing with it?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #63
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTaco View Post
Guys, I have a 2002 2.4 4 banger with the auto trans. Which model tranny is this as I will be towing with it?
Look at the label inside of your door. On mine, the trans is in the bottom right hand corner of the label (bottom right printed, top right physical since the sticker is sitting sideways). Mine's the A340F. I believe the 2WD are A340E. No clue on Prerunners.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #64
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
Look at the label inside of your door. On mine, the trans is in the bottom right hand corner of the label (bottom right printed, top right physical since the sticker is sitting sideways). Mine's the A340F. I believe the 2WD are A340E.

Will do and thanks for the info. Is the "F" heavier duty than the "E"?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:47 AM   #65
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
Light to medium trails. I would guess I worked the truck about as hard as previous trails. Outside temps were easily in the 90s.

Highest I saw the trans temp get was about 190 when I was going up a pretty steep, semi-long hill. It wasn't 4L steep, but it did cross my mind. Most of the time it seemed to be in the 170s. Quite a bit better than the previous trail runs of reaching 250 and makes me feel a lot better.
Been readin thru some of the posts......I've had no issues running the ziptie thingies, no issues with radiator being affected by atf cooler on front of it & no issues with the worm clamps on my car. Truck is manual so it won't be gettin one. One thing that comes to mind on the truck would be the jarring and bumping it'd be taking while offroading so the mounting sturdiness will be a bit more important here. My car is lowered so it doesn't have as smooth of a ride as you'd expect but it isn't what it'd be offroading either. Thinking if you have low temp issues in winter you could swap the thermostat out for the hotter one. One main point about doing this is that for every 20 degrees cooler the temps stay it doubles the life of the tranny. That and the price and ease of installation should make it worth doing regardless of whether you tow or offroad that much or any at all.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #66
taco 11
taco 11 is on a distinguished road
Army: Canadian Infantry ret.
taco 11's Tacoma Gallery
my 03 DC has the Orange fan clutch, I need the Green one... Looking for a tranny cooler so I can pull my 14'x7' cargo trailer...
Old 03-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #67
Flash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to beholdFlash1034 is a splendid one to behold
Army: CPT MI 35D
Flash1034's Tacoma Gallery
Where do you get a green one and what does it do differently?

Flash
Old 03-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #68
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
The green one comes with the so called "tow package". You can get it from the dealer, it's an original Toyota part. Not sure if aftermarket brands actually make both a standard one & a heavy duty one.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #69
Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier
The Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Driver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 94B/76Y Medical Honorable Discharge
Name: Raph, and I'm from Tampa, FL.
Location: Lakewood (Bear Creek), CO. I'm from Tampa. If I was from "Tampa Bay" I'd be a fish!
The Driver's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed!
Old 12-23-2011, 02:16 AM   #70
-FURY FROM THE SKY
95Yota4x4 is on a distinguished road

Army: Infantry, 4 1/2 yrs 82nd Airborne, 3 yrs Drill Sergeant duty
Name: J.D.
95Yota4x4's Tacoma Gallery
impressive job Sir!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #72
duty is on a distinguished road
duty's Tacoma Gallery
hey im going to the same my 2003 what year was your truck ? and can you make them spacers for me ? im going to order the same cooler luv the job and pics thanx for shareing !!!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #73
specialized7 is on a distinguished road
specialized7's Tacoma Gallery
I used Hayden part number 403
I didnt make any mounting brackets. i just used what was included in the kit.
The only issues i ran into is THERE WASENT ENOUGH HOSE INCLUDED IN THE KIT.
Also i pulled the hose going from the metal tranny line to the passenger side of the radiator(USDM) and ran the Hayden line directly from the metal line off the tranny to the Oil cooler.
I Then bought a 3 foot peice of hose from Partsource(Canada) and cut about 4" off.
Also i didnt relocate the Horn at all.
i just twisted it out of the way until i got the cooler installed.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #74
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^^^^ That is tube and fin cooler. Better than nothing but the stacked plate one like in the OP pics is 33% more efficient. Stacked plate ones are also thinner. I would use the oem and the Hayden to get the most cooling possible. It also adds more fluid to the capacity of the system which is a good thing for fluid longevity. Yes, they give you just enough hose to piss you off and mess with your mounting plans without buying another piece of hose. Had to buy more for my compact car, would imagine it's definitely a necessity of a midsize in most cases.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #75
specialized7 is on a distinguished road
specialized7's Tacoma Gallery
Yea i didnt bypass the original tranny cooler haha that would be stupid.
I pull a 5000 pound trailer around so this hopefully saves my tranny
Old 04-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #76
duty is on a distinguished road
duty's Tacoma Gallery
so just to make sure i get this right which way did you run the cooler lines i want to make sure i dont screw anything up lol i have the hayden 678 ...........thanx
Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 AM   #77
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
That depends on wether you want to install it before or after the OE heat exchanger. There's advantages & disadvantages on either way. I installed it after.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #78
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I ran the hot line from oem cooler to top of Hayden cooler and bottom of Hayden back to return port on trans. If you want it the other way then take hot line from trans to Hayden then cool line from Hayden back to oem cooler then to return on trans.............or just skip the oem if just using the Hayden.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #79
cr500taco will become famous soon enough

Name: D
cr500taco's Tacoma Gallery
Hey OP,

Great info on the install!

I am reviving this thread, because I am going to be adding a Hayden trans cooler, as well.

I have emailed other trans cooler companies and asked what size cooler they suggested and their response was measure the area where you are going to mount it and get the biggest one that will fit. Of course they just might be trying to sell me the biggest one that they can.

I have decided to get a Hayden cooler, either the 678 or 679. I have read about people squeezing the 679 behind the grill and others, like yourself, installing the 678. I called Hayden about what cooler they suggested for what I tow and haul and to see if there are cons about getting a bigger cooler than needed. The guy I talked to recommended the 677 which is a little smaller than the 678. He said he wouldn't suggest anything bigger than the 677, even though the 678 and 679 will fit, because of the concern of not enough air getting to the condenser and radiator. Have you had any issues with the 678?

Products Discussed in this Thread