cr500taco will become famous soon enough

Name: D
cr500taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL ROJO View Post
Will doesn't come on here much anymore. Pm him or email through his profile
All right, thanks.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #82
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr500taco View Post
Hey OP,

Great info on the install!

I am reviving this thread, because I am going to be adding a Hayden trans cooler, as well.

I have emailed other trans cooler companies and asked what size cooler they suggested and their response was measure the area where you are going to mount it and get the biggest one that will fit. Of course they just might be trying to sell me the biggest one that they can.

I have decided to get a Hayden cooler, either the 678 or 679. I have read about people squeezing the 679 behind the grill and others, like yourself, installing the 678. I called Hayden about what cooler they suggested for what I tow and haul and to see if there are cons about getting a bigger cooler than needed. The guy I talked to recommended the 677 which is a little smaller than the 678. He said he wouldn't suggest anything bigger than the 677, even though the 678 and 679 will fit, because of the concern of not enough air getting to the condenser and radiator. Have you had any issues with the 678?
I have the 679 in mine. I'm also running through the radiator trans cooler as well.

I do think its overkill and should probably go with the 678.

As far as cooling though, my trans temp never gets higher than my engine temp.

I was just in Moab a few weekends ago and my engine did get up to 210s. Trans up to 200s. Outside temps were close to 100. I experimented with and without AC and it didn't seem to make much difference. Its really the long steady uphill grades that will heat up both the trans and the engine pretty good, which is where I saw the highest temps.

Anyway, I dont believe I have any issues with not being able to cool enough. I think it is pretty close to borderline though, as for why I'd recommend going with something smaller than the 679.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
I have the 679 in mine. I'm also running through the radiator trans cooler as well.

I do think its overkill and should probably go with the 678.

As far as cooling though, my trans temp never gets higher than my engine temp.

I was just in Moab a few weekends ago and my engine did get up to 210s. Trans up to 200s. Outside temps were close to 100. I experimented with and without AC and it didn't seem to make much difference. Its really the long steady uphill grades that will heat up both the trans and the engine pretty good, which is where I saw the highest temps.

Anyway, I dont believe I have any issues with not being able to cool enough. I think it is pretty close to borderline though, as for why I'd recommend going with something smaller than the 679.
+

Thanks for that info. I am going to be stopping by my tranny shop to see what they suggest. I had my trans rebuilt about a year ago and I trust the guy.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #87
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
+

Thanks for that info. I am going to be stopping by my tranny shop to see what they suggest. I had my trans rebuilt about a year ago and I trust the guy.
Ask him where and how the scan gauge or whatever pulls the trans temp...directly from trans, or from a line or what.....

Unless someone can chime in with some info...
Old 06-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #88

I talked with my tranny guy, today about the coolers. He said, get the biggest that I can. I told him what Hayden said about the cons of getting a bigger cooler than needed with the concerns of not enough air getting to the radiator and condenser and he said he's never seen a problem like that. Didn't get a chance to ask him about pulling the trans temp. He was busy and I didn't want to take up too much of his time.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #89
cottontop will become famous soon enoughcottontop will become famous soon enough
cottontop's Tacoma Gallery
Look at the tru cool brand of tranny coolers. I have a 6.0 swapped Chevy blazer with a 4l80 tranny and a 3k stall converter. I run a try cool 40k. They are big in the LS swap world . This cooler made a believer out of me. Even with the stall towing my boat tranny temps have never got over 165
Old 06-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #90
Hoist Rider
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Look at the tru cool brand of tranny coolers. I have a 6.0 swapped Chevy blazer with a 4l80 tranny and a 3k stall converter. I run a try cool 40k. They are big in the LS swap world . This cooler made a believer out of me. Even with the stall towing my boat tranny temps have never got over 165
This, I recently installed a Tru Cool 4590 on my 02 T4R... I bypassed the radiator and have this as the sole source of cooling. In 90+ degree stop/go traffice my trans never gets above 150 according to my Scan gauge, it usually avgs 130-140 range. Yes, it may be excessive to some but I really like this cooler.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #91

Thanks cottontop and alphaecho. I forgot to mention that my tranny guy suggested Tru cool coolers. He said that's what he installs on customer's vehicles.

I am going to look into the same size as either the Hayden 678 or 679.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #92

El Rio,

I PMed Will a few days ago with my question like you suggested and I haven't heard back, yet. He doesn't have a contact email on his profile.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:40 PM   #93
aka Senor Tacorojo
EL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL ROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CORY
EL ROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
El Rio,

I PMed Will a few days ago with my question like you suggested and I haven't heard back, yet. He doesn't have a contact email on his profile.
I may have his number, if I do I'll text him to post.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL ROJO View Post
Nope old phone, sorry man.
Thanks for checking.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #96

I am going to be getting a Tru Cool LPD cooler. My next question is, stacked plate or plate and fin, which is better?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #97
Hoist Rider
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am going to be getting a Tru Cool LPD cooler. My next question is, stacked plate or plate and fin, which is better?

I hear stacked plate is the way to go.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaEcho2k5 View Post
This, I recently installed a Tru Cool 4590 on my 02 T4R... I bypassed the radiator and have this as the sole source of cooling. In 90+ degree stop/go traffice my trans never gets above 150 according to my Scan gauge, it usually avgs 130-140 range. Yes, it may be excessive to some but I really like this cooler.
Where did you mount your 4590? I am looking into the 4490 which is a little smaller. It's a little longer but 1/2 as thick. I have read where people say that the Hayden 679 is a tight fit and it's smaller than the 4490, but with my measurements it seems like the 4490 will fit.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #99
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
A little upset with my Hayden. I did some spirited driving up GMR to go wheeling in Asuza- temps got near 220. I have tranny > Hayden (don't remember model, its frickin big) > OE cooler in radiator > tranny.

Either Hayden isn't that good, or my tranny isn't flowing fluid like it should, or routing it back to the OE cooler (to ensure it doesn't get overcooled) is negating the hayden.

I'm now debating--
a) should I build some custom shrouding? The hayden probably isn't performing anywhere near it's potential, lots of air is probably going around it and not through it.
b) change the plumbing to standalone- in that case I would probably want to change to a Long Tru-Cool because of my fear of overcooling
c) B&M makes coolers with fans attached. I suppose that would put a big stop to overheating.

I'm very surprised my cooler is performing so badly. Not even towing...
Here is a pic for reference of size, plumbing and air flow. I'm thinking maybe some ducting/shrouding could make all of the difference.

** EDIT, just hunted down the TRD cooler instructions, TRD has you install the aftermarket cooler POST OE cooler. So maybe my fears of overcooling are not founded, and I should install the TRD route, possibly increase the performance of my setup...
Old 08-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #100

I'm getting a TransCool LP cooler for mine. Had my tranny rebuilt over a year ago and that's the brand my tranny guy recommended.

Products Discussed in this Thread