Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

t100???

Old 08-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
bt08231 has a spectacular aura aboutbt08231 has a spectacular aura about

bt08231's Tacoma Gallery
t100???

Not sure if im even in the right forum but i will ask anyway. Is this truck completely different than the tacoma? I am considering dumping the 09 tacoma and found a guy willing to sell me his 95 t100 v6 4x4 xcab with 170000 on the ticker for 4k. is that too much, good deal? What should I look for and what are any know issues if anyone has experience with these?
Old 08-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, truck is completely different, except for the engine I think. Not sure what year they started to use the 5vz-fe V6.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
bt08231 has a spectacular aura aboutbt08231 has a spectacular aura about

bt08231's Tacoma Gallery
Are they as solid as everything else toyota made back in 1995? it seems like a nice truck, well maintained, just high milage. The guy told me he never ran synthetic oil the entire life of the truck and has owned it since new. I like the fact that its already scratched and dented and the interior is dirty compared to my taco, wont have to worry about scratches anymore lol
Old 08-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #5
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Yes - the T100 is an entirely different 'species' from the Tacoma. It uses many of the same engine / drivetrain components, though. Many items appearing on the 1995.5 - 2004 Tacomas (e.g, the 5VZ V6) appeared first on the T100.

T100's were criticized for being underpowered, so don't expect it to be as nimble as your Tacoma.

Otherwise, they generally had a good reputation for reliability and quality. This is not surprising, given that they were Japan-built by Hino. Except for gripes about wanting more power / speed, T100 owners I've known were uniformly pleased with their trucks and held onto them for a long time.

The main drawbacks to T100 ownership:

- relative lack of aftermarket parts / support
- relative lack of tech documentation and online support (forums, etc.)
- parts are increasingly hard to find
Old 08-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
my grandfather has a T100 that he bought new back in the day and he drives it just as much as his 09 Tacoma. it purrs like a kitten well kind of(big hole in the exhaust), it runs like a champ though.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Is it all 'yota's, or just the T100's that seem to be high miled and high priced. In my town there's a white '91 T100 with I think over 200K miles on it. They wanted ~$5000 for it. It was in good condition and I think had a few engine mods/was taken fairly good care of. It still seemed a little high priced to me, but maybe not to someone who really knows this stuff
Old 08-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
My 96 T100 has been totally bulletproof. I bought it with 140k on it in late 1999 and it now has 255,000 miles. I've always run partially synthetic oil and switch diffs and transfer case to mobil1 lube. The transmission would get hot (idiot light) on long trips at 75+mph when loaded and later began to slip at 180k, so I did a flush with cooling lines and switched to mobil1 atf and the filter screen in the pan had a bunch of ultra-fine sawdust looking junk that I cleaned out and it has not slipped or gotten hot since. I routinely load the thing piled high with firewood to where the frame is sitting on axle bumbers and the thing just keeps going. IMHO the build quality on this generation of Toyotas is probably much better than current models and will have a better record for quality and reliability. They are underpowered with 190hp v6 and largely no frills, but very reliable. I wouldn't bat an eye at one with 170k if you were reasonably sure it was taken care of. Fully boxed frame. I'm definitely not a mechanic and I was able to change timing belt and water pump.