Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Which OEM Wheels Look Better?

View Poll Results: Which OEM Wheels Look Best On A 1st Gen?
2nd Gen Stock Alloy's 17 51.52%
99-02 4Runner Limited Alloy's 16 48.48%
Other (Please Post Description & Photo) 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
iDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the rough

Name: Luke
iDigTulsa's Tacoma Gallery
Which OEM Wheels Look Better?

I'm wanting to gain a collective opinion on swapping my OEM wheels for another set of OEM wheels. Let the opinions fly!

I am choosing not to go with a set of after market wheels due to the fact that "new" used OEM's are so much easier on the wallet, especially if they fit my existing tires with ample remaining tread. From my research I can get a new set of OEM's for around $300.00 including shipping. I could hopefully sell my 1st Gen OEM's for half that, and recoup some of my cost.

What I Have Currently

I have attached the two options that I am considering for my 2003 DC. I am also very open to suggestions, and input from others that have battled this decision before, and even problems to be aware of or things to consider.

99-02 4Runner Limited Wheels

2nd Gen Stock Alloy
Old 08-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I LOVE the 2nd gen offroad alloys.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I like the 2nd gen wheels out of those.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Rock Stars....
Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Alright bro....
Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
vegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jamie
vegetopia's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to vegetopia Send a message via MSN to vegetopia
out of those, I like the limited wheels. I have the 1st gen sr5 alloys which I don't particularly like (although I like them better than the TRD ones like you have) but I am about to paint them satin black, which I find to look killer:

Old 08-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
iDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the roughiDigTulsa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuneff View Post
Rock Stars....
I'm not familiar with the Rock Stars... Which years did those come on?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegetopia View Post
out of those, I like the limited wheels. I have the 1st gen sr5 alloys which I don't particularly like (although I like them better than the TRD ones like you have) but I am about to paint them satin black, which I find to look killer:

I have considered painting mine black, but I was afraid that with my lack of skills it would just be like tying a ribbon around a turd and calling it art. If anyone has any pics of this setup I would love to check them out to see first hand how they look on the truck.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
vegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to behold

I haven't seen anyone paint the TRD alloys black. I honestly don't think it would look great, but I might be wrong.

as far as painting is concerned, just take your time with the prep work and it will all turn out ok.

clean the wheels, sand with 320 grit, clean the wheels, 1-2 coats of self etching primer, 2-3 coats of rustoleum black enamel in whatever finish you want.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegetopia View Post
I haven't seen anyone paint the TRD alloys black. I honestly don't think it would look great, but I might be wrong.

as far as painting is concerned, just take your time with the prep work and it will all turn out ok.

clean the wheels, sand with 320 grit, clean the wheels, 1-2 coats of self etching primer, 2-3 coats of rustoleum black enamel in whatever finish you want.
Check out panda jerks truck
Old 08-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
braaap

here

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...lots-pics.html

I think they look awesome.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #12

definitely not for my taste, but if you like it, rock it. That's all that matters.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
MyYota05 is just really niceMyYota05 is just really niceMyYota05 is just really niceMyYota05 is just really niceMyYota05 is just really nice

MyYota05's Tacoma Gallery
I like the 99-02 Limited edition, but I would paint them black as I own some black rims and much prefer black rims over chrome rims anyday. Just my opnion
Old 08-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #15
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
i used to really like the sport second gens but after a while i think they only look good on a few cars im startin to like the limited 4runner wheels but i was thinking about some older tundra wheels the ones that are pretty similar to the 4runner
Old 08-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #16
HUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of lightHUNT is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Tommy
HUNT's Tacoma Gallery
WHEELS

MINE
Attached Thumbnails
Which OEM Wheels Look Better?-068.jpg   Which OEM Wheels Look Better?-074.jpg  
Old 08-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNT View Post
MINE
Thanks for your input Tommy, your truck is actually the inspiration for this whole thread....I LOVE YOUR WHEELS!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #18

they definitely look good!