Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Decision Time: Stock 4x4 or 5-lug with lift and locker

Old 08-20-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
hobo_hut is on a distinguished road
hobo_hut's Tacoma Gallery
Decision Time: Stock 4x4 or 5-lug with lift and locker

My beloved 99 4x4 didn't pass the rust inspections so needless to say its time to shop for a new truck, but I can't decide what I want so hopefully you all can help me out. The only thing for sure is that the truck must be regular cab 4cyl with manual transmission. My max budget is 8K. For the 5-lug I'd be doing all the mods my self.

Option 1:
01'-04' 4x4
Reg Cab
5 spd

Option 2:
01'-04' 4x2 5 lug
fabtech or doetsch 3" or 6" lift
Re-gear
Locker
30's or 31's

Option 3:
2nd Gen 5 lug
3" lift
30's

I don't do a whole lot of wheel'n...I have a dirt bike for real off road stuff. The lift would mostly be for aesthetics but I would be doing the occasional trail. Nothing too hard core though.

Also I would be using the truck for towing a small boat regularly. The boats I tow weigh around 2000-2500 lbs.

A few additional things i'd like some insight on about the 5 lug:

-Will the 5 lug handle light trail use and small trailer towing with is lighter built frame/suspension and smaller brakes?

-Is the transmission the same in the 5 lug as the 4x4?

-What kind of rear end does the 5-lug have? Locker/re-gear availability?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
IMO i would go with option 1. You will regret having the 5-lug, because if you are going to tow your boat that v6 will come in handy more than a I4 (not saying the 4cyl is under powered). The Reg cab V6 has a different transmission than the I4 5 lug. The rear end of the 5 lug is LSD, people put lockers in 5 lugs before. If you go with option 2 you will more than likely have to regear your rear end with 4.88s because trust me if you buy a 6 inch lift you will be tempted to buy bigger tires than 30s or 31s.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
A jacked up 5-lug is about the worst thing I've seen. There's a reason it's only a 5-lug, it's not made for heavy rims/ tires and with a lift the towing capacity will be shit.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
option 1
Old 08-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
I should have added that it will be a 4cyl no matter what. I currently tow with my 99 4cyl 4x4 and I'm happy with it. Most of the time I will only be towing a small boat under 1000lbs so I don't really need the v6. An I'm positive I have enough self control to not put anything bigger than 31's on any of the options.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
IMO i would go with option 1. You will regret having the 5-lug, because if you are going to tow your boat that v6 will come in handy more than a I4 (not saying the 4cyl is under powered). The Reg cab V6 has a different transmission than the I4 5 lug. The rear end of the 5 lug is LSD, people put lockers in 5 lugs before. If you go with option 2 you will more than likely have to regear your rear end with 4.88s because trust me if you buy a 6 inch lift you will be tempted to buy bigger tires than 30s or 31s.
I didn't realize that 01-04 5 luggers had lsd...nice to know. It's kinda hard digging up info about the 5 lugs.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobo_hut View Post
I didn't realize that 01-04 5 luggers had lsd...nice to know. It's kinda hard digging up info about the 5 lugs.
They definitely don't. (You should have seen what happened right after the pic in my sig line)
Old 08-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #8
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
The only difference between the 6lug 4x4/prerunner and the 5lug would be the suspension, obviously, fenders/bedside, and transmission (5lug should just be the 2wd version of the 4x4 transmission). Someone let me know if what I'm saying is wrong or I'm forgetting something lol
Old 08-21-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
A jacked up 5-lug is about the worst thing I've seen. There's a reason it's only a 5-lug, it's not made for heavy rims/ tires and with a lift the towing capacity will be shit.
A jacked up 5 lug would basically be a prerunner that needs regeared...
Old 08-21-2010, 01:33 AM   #10
MadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant future

Name: Mike
MadTaco461's Tacoma Gallery
5 lug is do-able with towing and larger tires. If you do large tires, re-gear is a must! I tow about 1500 lbs and still moves fine. It's no pulling monster, but works for the job
Old 08-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely go 4X4... I can't tell you how many times I've been digging through my toolbox for a tow strap wishing I had 4X4. I went 2wd for the gas mileage of the 2.4... not nearly significant enough to offset being shorter than a damn camry
Old 08-22-2010, 12:57 AM   #14
MadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant futureMadTaco461 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
Definitely go 4X4... I can't tell you how many times I've been digging through my toolbox for a tow strap wishing I had 4X4. I went 2wd for the gas mileage of the 2.4... not nearly significant enough to offset being shorter than a damn camry
Hey I own a damn camry... the 5 lug tacoma doesn't compare to a camry. Camry's should be thrown off cliffs. Shame to saying a tacoma is like a camry.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #15

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTaco461 View Post
Hey I own a damn camry... the 5 lug tacoma doesn't compare to a camry. Camry's should be thrown off cliffs. Shame to saying a tacoma is like a camry.
I didn't say it was like a camry in any way but height. Although one kid said my truck was basically a camry with a bed. He still hasn't been found.
Anyway I just hate how I'm eye to eye with regular car drivers on the road. I'm hoping to change that soon...
Old 08-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #16
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What do you get for mileage?
I'm getting 20-23 combined with a V6, 4x4, and 32s in the summer...
Old 08-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #17
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
The only difference between the 6lug 4x4/prerunner and the 5lug would be the suspension, obviously, fenders/bedside, and transmission (5lug should just be the 2wd version of the 4x4 transmission). Someone let me know if what I'm saying is wrong or I'm forgetting something lol
Correct, the 5-lug will also have slightly different gearing I believe. Also, a first gen 5 lug will have a 2.4L while the second gen 5 lug will have a 2.7L (since the OP is looking for a 4 banger).
Old 08-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #18

Quote:
I didn't say it was like a camry in any way but height. Although one kid said my truck was basically a camry with a bed. He still hasn't been found.
Anyway I just hate how I'm eye to eye with regular car drivers on the road. I'm hoping to change that soon...
That already sounds like a happy ending to that story. You should look into getting some fabtech spindles and a 1.5" add a leaf when you got the $$$ saved up to do rims and tires.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #19

MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTaco461 View Post
That already sounds like a happy ending to that story. You should look into getting some fabtech spindles and a 1.5" add a leaf when you got the $$$ saved up to do rims and tires.
I do! Just gotta get the old man to give me the green light... It is technically still his.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #20

Quote:
I do! Just gotta get the old man to give me the green light... It is technically still his.
The taco isn't in your name, bummer. Insurance is cheaper that way. If you are taking good care of it I'm sure he'll let a few mods every once in a while. It's addictive once you start.

hobo_hut i you. FYI if insurance is a deal too 5 lug is way cheaper in that department over 4x4.