1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Q clip model to fit my truck.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tman12, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Aug 20, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    Tman12

Tman12 [OP] =T=

Member:
    First Name:
    Taryn
    VA
    Vehicle:
    01 Limited Double Cab 4x4
    Brush Guard, Flowmaster,Infinity 12" Sub,Vent Visors, Michelin AT2,Powder Coated stock alloy rims, yakima roof rack and bike mounts.
    I found a heck of a deal on a yakima rack and a few accessories but the owner didnt have to correct base for my tacoma. Now im out looking for another good deal on some Q towers and the correcet clips that i need for my model truck. Does anyone have any info that could help me out?

2. Aug 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM
    iDigTulsa

iDigTulsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    03 DoubleCab TRD SR5 4x4
    Free Alarm Mod, Grey Wire Mod, Reverse Leaf Spring Helper Mod, Kenwood Deck, Memphis 10'', Yakima Roof Rack, Debadged Sides,Silver Toyota Skid Plate, Injen CIA, 3.5'' Amsoil Dry Filter, 17 x 7.5 Tundra Split Spoke Alloy's
    Do not let this "good deal" cost you more than it's worth, if it doesn't have essentially every part you need minus the accessories you want, you are better off buying them new.

Reason being, if you purchase a kit that does not fit you make and model, you will be left with very few usable parts besides the cross bars, and accessories such as the bike mount ect... The most expensive pieces are the parts you currently need, the Q-Towers and Q-Clips that allow the rack to mount to your truck.

Welcome to the world of Yakima Roof Racks, where they will nickel and dime you to death to sell you wind noise! You are much better off holding out for a complete kit that fits your truck, I've been down this road before. It may not provide you with the instant gratification, but it will save you so much time tracking down "good deals" and a ton of unnecessary money on the individual parts that you need. Our trucks are old enough that you can find a complete setup for far less than you can building one from individual components. For kicks I have given you a few links to the best prices I could find as of today on the parts you are looking for, as well as a complete setup for the 1st Gen available on Ebay so that you can see what I mean in terms of saving money in the long run. Good luck, and happy hunting.

Yakima Q Clips for 1st Gen Tacoma
    1 set of Yakima Part# Q117 for $31.50 (x2 = $63.00)
    http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-racks-q-clip-117-toyota-tacoma-truck-rack.html
    [​IMG]

Yakima Q Towers (Set of 4 with NO KEYS)
    $159.00 with Free Shipping
    [​IMG]

Set of Yakima SKS Core Locks with 1 Key
    "Buy It Now" at $41.75
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yakima-Racks-SKS-Lock-Cores-4-Pack-8007204-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ260644037274QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2542wt_1165
    [​IMG]

From what you have described, the three parts you need to make this work (Q Towers for Tacoma, Q Clips for Tacoma and a set of 4 keys so no one can still your shizz) will cost you about $263.75 + a little shipping.
    How good of a deal are you actually getting on this used setup that won't fit after you purchased all the parts to make it work?

For a perfect example, below is a link to Ebay for an auction that is going on right now. It is for a full setup, including everything you need to to mount the rack to your truck minus any accessories that you want to add. It's currently going for about $95.00 INCLUDING shipping and has about a day left. This should give you a good idea on what to be looking for when it comes to Yakima racks.
    Full Yakima Setup for 1st Gen Available on Ebay
    Included Q Towers, Q Clips, Bars and Keys.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Yakima-Roof-Rack-Q-Towers-48-bars-key-lock-Q-117-used-/120610201862?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_500wt_1154

Check out my gallery for pics of the Yakima Setup on my 1st Gen, found it locally on craigslist 2 years ago with all the parts I needed for a mounting. Cost me $90.00.(Mine includeds the Wind Deflector, I reverse mounted it with Yakima on the underside to make it all black.)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Aug 22, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    Tman12

Tman12 [OP] =T=

Member:
    First Name:
    Taryn
    VA
    Vehicle:
    Brush Guard, Flowmaster,Infinity 12" Sub,Vent Visors, Michelin AT2,Powder Coated stock alloy rims, yakima roof rack and bike mounts.
    I bought two cross bars, a faring, bike mounts, and two board racks for 125. I just bought the clips that go in the Q towers that fit my truck for 61 dollars shipped. Now am just looking for a decent deal on the actual towers. I see that I can get them used for around 80. Buying a rack system for around 260 beats the heck out of buying the crossbars, faring, clips, and towers for a little over 400 in my opinion.

4. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:01 AM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    IIRC, the towers are universal...it's the clips that are vehicle specific. Anyone?

5. Aug 22, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    Tman12

Tman12 [OP] =T=

Member:
    First Name:
    Taryn
    VA
    Vehicle:
    I found out and ordered them. They are Q117.

Products Discussed in

To Top