Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

steering rack bushings not fitting right

Old 08-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Question steering rack bushings not fitting right

Im in the middle of replacing my steering rack bushings with the energy suspension ones from wheelers offroad. Im having some trouble with the one on the drivers side (with the long bolt). I know I have to drill it out to fit the bolt, but the metal sleeve also is nowhere close to being snug inside the two rubber bushings. It has a good 1/16" all around when inside. It seems like thats just going to let the rack move even more than before. Is this normal?
Old 08-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i think once you get it tightened down...you should be fine. i ahvent done mine yet(havent had time), but im doing them soon.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i think once you get it tightened down...you should be fine. i ahvent done mine yet(havent had time), but im doing them soon.
alright. Ill just go ahead and install them.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
braaap

Heres a pic. Its a bit more than 1/16".
Old 08-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Club Soda Not Seals
Mush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mush
Mush Mouse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Heres a pic. Its a bit more than 1/16".
No way thats the right sleeve for the Bushing,I had a set of Energy Suspension bushings for a 2004 and there was no match like that all the sleeves felt snug inthe bushing none looked like that,its not right. Better contact Energy or where you bought them you got something mixed up,did they come in a sealed plastic bag?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mush Mouse View Post
No way thats the right sleeve for the Bushing,I had a set of Energy Suspension bushings for a 2004 and there was no match like that all the sleeves felt snug inthe bushing none looked like that,its not right. Better contact Energy or where you bought them you got something mixed up,did they come in a sealed plastic bag?
They came in a sealed package. I should have checked everything before taking the old ones out!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
They came in a sealed package. I should have checked everything before taking the old ones out!
damn....didnt exactly realize what you were saying man. call or pm one of the guys from wheelers........that could be one of the old "non fixed" bushing sets. energy suspension started making either bigger sleeves...or smaller holed bushings to correct that problem.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
Club Soda Not Seals
Mush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mush
Mush Mouse's Tacoma Gallery
Id call and find out if you got the right kit,somethings not right. Plus its a ball buster doing that job you want to get it right once not take it apart again,everything should be better than snug going together.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #9
braaap

Quote:
damn....didnt exactly realize what you were saying man. call or pm one of the guys from wheelers........that could be one of the old "non fixed" bushing sets. energy suspension started making either bigger sleeves...or smaller holed bushings to correct that problem.
alright, I'll PM dan. I wonder if they'll mind that I already drilled the sleeve though.

Quote:
Id call and find out if you got the right kit,somethings not right. Plus its a ball buster doing that job you want to get it right once not take it apart again,everything should be better than snug going together.
Yeah, breaking those bolts loose wasn't easy, especially since I cant find a stupid breaker bar anywhere. I had to use the socket driver with a box end wrench on the end trick. Hopefully they can get me fixed up before sunday, I have to drive 90 miles back to school.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #10

Quote:
alright, I'll PM dan. I wonder if they'll mind that I already drilled the sleeve though.

they shouldnt mind ....seeing as how thats the kit they sent you. hopefully.......they'll be as good as dsms is with customer service and get another set to you real quick like. wish i was closer.....we'd get it squared away...even if we had to get something from lowes or home depot.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
braaap

Quote:
they shouldnt mind ....seeing as how thats the kit they sent you. hopefully.......they'll be as good as dsms is with customer service and get another set to you real quick like. wish i was closer.....we'd get it squared away...even if we had to get something from lowes or home depot.
Yeah, I was thinking of just going to the steel place and getting some tube, but I'll see what dan says first. He was really helpful with the whole leaf spring group buy which is when I bought these. I dont see why he wouldn't be helpful now.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed! I am doing mine soon.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraether View Post
subscribed! I am doing mine soon.
Do you have the parts yet? If so go make sure they all fit right.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #14
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
whoa thats way to big a gap, i just did mine a week or two ago and its suppose to fit quite snug.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #15
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by shitroc View Post
whoa thats way to big a gap, i just did mine a week or two ago and its suppose to fit quite snug.
yep, the center mount one fit very snug, although the bolt is loose inside the metal sleeve but thats how the original was too. Just the drivers side one is messed up. Did you have to drill it to fit the bolt?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #16
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yep, the center mount one fit very snug, although the bolt is loose inside the metal sleeve but thats how the original was too. Just the drivers side one is messed up. Did you have to drill it to fit the bolt?
nope didnt have to, i was surprised to because i had read jansters and a couple other peoples writeups on the install and it said to drill it out. i got the drill and bit and shit ready to do so but didnt end up having to. it worked out good that way there i guess.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:41 PM   #17
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by shitroc View Post
nope didnt have to, i was surprised to because i had read jansters and a couple other peoples writeups on the install and it said to drill it out. i got the drill and bit and shit ready to do so but didnt end up having to. it worked out good that way there i guess.
yeah, I must have gotten a really old set that was on the shelf for years then because I had to drill it. I read those write ups too and all of them had red bushings tough, and mine are black. We'll have to see what dan says when he replies. I may just have to call him on monday.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #18
Master of War

shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah, I must have gotten a really old set that was on the shelf for years then because I had to drill it. I read those write ups too and all of them had red bushings tough, and mine are black. We'll have to see what dan says when he replies. I may just have to call him on monday.
yah maybe. i got the black ones to. theyre still available in red though.The only difference between the red and black parts is that most black Energy Suspension parts are graphite impregnated. This serves to help self lubricate the bushings. The red parts do not have this characteristic. Aside from the actual color and the lack of being graphite impregnated the red parts are essentially the same as the black.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #19
kumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud of
kumaWRX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Same on my 04, I had no problems whatsoever and all the sleeves fit perfect in the bushings.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #20
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Is this what you ordered?
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacorackbushkit.htm