Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bilstein 5100 middle groove setting

Old 08-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
BDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BDP's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100 middle groove setting

OK, first off hello everyone.
I'm a long time lurker first time poster

I just purchased a set of Billy 5100 fronts and 5125 rears but have yet to install these puppies.

I have read EVERY post regarding the Bilstein 5100's on Tacoma world. I got a lot of helpful info. Thanks.

Still, I am not confident on what my options are as far as the middle setting on my struts. I know the first notch is 0" and the 3rd notch is 2.5 more or less. But what is the middle setting going to do to my truck and how many inch(s) am I going to get? Everyone is saying they get different results. Some say 1.75in, others 1in, another person said 1.25in. WTF?

The reason I'm asking is because at the very least I want my truck level, and at most a SLIGHT "bro" look on the middle groove is fine.
That being said, If the middle setting gives a slight "bro" look, I am cool with that. On the flip side, if I am still "stink bug" I will be pissed. So if "stink bug is the case with the middle setting, then I will say fuck it and just go with the full on 2.5in "bro look".

Feedback anybody?

Sorry for the long post. I hate when people post long ass posts like myself

Thanks,
-Paul
Old 08-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Your going to get about 1" on the middle setting, which will put you about level or maybe a little bit of the stink bug. The 2.5 will definitely put you in the bro lean range with stock rear leafs.

welcome to tw.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
Yep like Steve-o said, 1" which usually levels out the truck.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP View Post
OK, first off hello everyone.
I'm a long time lurker first time poster

I just purchased a set of Billy 5100 fronts and 5125 rears but have yet to install these puppies.

I have read EVERY post regarding the Bilstein 5100's on Tacoma world. I got a lot of helpful info. Thanks.

Still, I am not confident on what my options are as far as the middle setting on my struts. I know the first notch is 0" and the 3rd notch is 2.5 more or less. But what is the middle setting going to do to my truck and how many inch(s) am I going to get? Everyone is saying they get different results. Some say 1.75in, others 1in, another person said 1.25in. WTF?

The reason I'm asking is because at the very least I want my truck level, and at most a SLIGHT "bro" look on the middle groove is fine.
That being said, If the middle setting gives a slight "bro" look, I am cool with that. On the flip side, if I am still "stink bug" I will be pissed. So if "stink bug is the case with the middle setting, then I will say fuck it and just go with the full on 2.5in "bro look".

Feedback anybody?

Sorry for the long post. I hate when people post long ass posts like myself

Thanks,
-Paul

Use the next to the last groove up to seat your coils & you'll get exactly what you describe , almost level with a slight rake (bro') in the front...see pics....
Attached Thumbnails
Bilstein 5100 middle groove setting-bilstein_5100_adjustable_l.jpg   Bilstein 5100 middle groove setting-dsc01390.jpg   Bilstein 5100 middle groove setting-web-dsc01393.jpg  
Old 08-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
BDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BDP's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies

Hey Taco79087, what setting did you use on your 5100's?

And by "usually" about a 1in lift. Do you mean depending on how the truck is going to settle?

Thanks,

-Paul
Old 08-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
BDP's Tacoma Gallery
@4WD,

You have four settings and I only have three.

Whats up with that?

Thanks,
-Paul
Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the replies

Hey Taco79087, what setting did you use on your 5100's?

And by "usually" about a 1in lift. Do you mean depending on how the truck is going to settle?

Thanks,

-Paul
It depends on the configuration of the truck. You being pre runner will get a bit more lift than a 4x4

Quote:
@4WD,

Whats up with that?

Thanks,
-Paul
All first gen ones should have 3 grooves. Mine did.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
BDP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Your going to get about 1" on the middle setting, which will put you about level or maybe a little bit of the stink bug. The 2.5 will definitely put you in the bro lean range with stock rear leafs.

welcome to tw.
Will I even notice a difference with the middle setting?

Thanks,

-Paul
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
I set mine at 1" and it sits perfectly level.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #10
YotaComa is on a distinguished road
YotaComa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
It depends on the configuration of the truck. You being pre runner will get a bit more lift than a 4x4

All first gen ones should have 3 grooves. Mine did.
The picture that '4WD' posted is a bilstein 5100 series shock, but for a different vehicle.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
BDP's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't mind my lift looking about like yours.

Thanks bud,

-Paul

got it!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
@4WD,

Whats up with that?

Thanks,
-Paul
Hey Paul, you know what dude ? Enlarge that image of the Bilstein 5100 & count the grooves,, I actually have 5, thats right, 5 seperate settings for a total of 2.75" (assuming the first groove on the bottom is the stock height) , everyone says theres only 3 settings for a total of 2.5", another odd thing about the Billies is that there is NO ACTUAL APPLICATION for 1st gens. The 5100's I got from the distributor are application specific for the early Tundras of all things & I was told this by the Bilstein Distrib. I bought them from... Go figure huh......
Old 08-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaComa View Post
The picture that '4WD' posted is a bilstein 5100 series shock, but for a different vehicle.

You are half right, the shock pictured is exactly the same shocks on my truck right now, but they are specific for early Tundras, Bilstein does not have a specific application for 1st gens.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #14
BDP's Tacoma Gallery
Yo 4WD,

Indeed you do have 5 settings. Nice.

I got mine from Downsouth motorsports and i wonder why they did not recommend or sell the 5 groove like yours???

Hmmmmmmmm............

Its always nice to have more options.

BTW, Downsouth hooked me up. Thanks fellas.

I think i am gonna roll with the second setting....Still thinking tho.

Thanks,

-Paul