Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3.4L Pulling Power??

Old 08-21-2010, 03:57 AM   #1
www.tacomaworld.com
Spyro is a splendid one to beholdSpyro is a splendid one to beholdSpyro is a splendid one to beholdSpyro is a splendid one to beholdSpyro is a splendid one to beholdSpyro is a splendid one to beholdSpyro is a splendid one to behold

Spyro's Tacoma Gallery
Question 3.4L Pulling Power??

I was wondering how good the 3.4L Tacoma's pull?? Ive been looking at a 2004 Taco with a 3.4 5 speed manual. I pull a bass boat and just wondering how these truck pull. Thanks Nunley
Old 08-21-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my experience. I have a 2003 Tacoma Prerunner, 3.4L and I'm pulling a 19" Wellcraft Eclipse inboard/outboard run about on a Road master trailer. On flat roads it pulls it just fine. It doesn't feel sluggish at all. HOWEVER going up hills it is dangerously underpowered. I live in the Hill Country and I have to take certain routes because the hills are too steep and the truck can't pull it. I don't know if having 4-wheel drive would help all that much, it's really just the engine you can hear it straining on hills and things start getting iffy. FYI
Old 08-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
www.tacomaworld.com
Spyro is a splendid one to beholdSpyro is a splendid one to beholdSpyro is a splendid one to beholdSpyro is a splendid one to beholdSpyro is a splendid one to beholdSpyro is a splendid one to beholdSpyro is a splendid one to behold

Spyro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
Here is my experience. I have a 2003 Tacoma Prerunner, 3.4L and I'm pulling a 19" Wellcraft Eclipse inboard/outboard run about on a Road master trailer. On flat roads it pulls it just fine. It doesn't feel sluggish at all. HOWEVER going up hills it is dangerously underpowered. I live in the Hill Country and I have to take certain routes because the hills are too steep and the truck can't pull it. I don't know if having 4-wheel drive would help all that much, it's really just the engine you can hear it straining on hills and things start getting iffy. FYI

Ok. Thanks For The Info. I have a 18ft Bass Boat is what i have. Is your truck auto or manual?
Old 08-21-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm assuming your bass boat has an aluminum hull so you won't have any issues the other poster, (aluminum way lighter than fiberglass ) & if you don't oversize your tires drastically I don't see a problem with towing.

The 3.4 is a great motor, plenty of power & torque.......
Old 08-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
I've pulled a 18' 8" fiberglass Maycraft center console with a 115 Yamaha a few times with my truck, it did just fine on most places but i did get down to 3rd gear on a very steep and long hill but it did better than i thought.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
maycraft2300 is on a distinguished road
maycraft2300's Tacoma Gallery
pulling power to spare

I pull a 23 foot center console with mine. You ought to see the peoples face at the ramp. Lol
Old 08-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
millerlight2496 is on a distinguished road
millerlight2496's Tacoma Gallery
i have an 03 3.4 with a 5 speed and i haul a 16 foot lowe flatbottom with a 40 hp outboard. pulls it just fine. most of the time i dont have to down shit going up small hills.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
i pulled a ford tarus after a guy i know blew the motor. i have an automatic and pulled it over a hour doin 65 or 70 the whole time and i didnt have a problem with it
Old 08-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
"thats what she said"
01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future

Name: joe
01taquito's Tacoma Gallery
if you take a look at my photo gallery im pulling a 21 ft inboard/outboard. i have an automatic and the boat ramp wasnt so great... it pulled just fine.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunley View Post
I was wondering how good the 3.4L Tacoma's pull?? Ive been looking at a 2004 Taco with a 3.4 5 speed manual. I pull a bass boat and just wondering how these truck pull. Thanks Nunley
What's the weight of the boat, motor, trailer, gas,gear,etc?
I believe the towing capacity of the truck is standard at 3500 lbs and 5000 lbs with the 5000 tow package with Class III hitch but I could be wrong.
There is a towing forum on tis site that has a lot of good info.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
www.tacomaworld.com

Spyro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01taquito View Post
if you take a look at my photo gallery im pulling a 21 ft inboard/outboard. i have an automatic and the boat ramp wasnt so great... it pulled just fine.

Awesome man thanks! That boat i bet is alot heavier than mine.

Thanks everyone for all the info!!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:41 PM   #12
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The towing rating is 3500 from the bumper with I think 350 tongue weight. After you add the class III hitch it can tow its full potential. I believe mine is rated at 3500 either way being a 5 lugger. I tow a landscaping trailer that weighs probably 1500 pretty much daily without much complaint from the taco. It's strictly city stop and go, and I still get 17-19 mpg.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:51 AM   #13
www.tacomaworld.com

Spyro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
The towing rating is 3500 from the bumper with I think 350 tongue weight. After you add the class III hitch it can tow its full potential. I believe mine is rated at 3500 either way being a 5 lugger. I tow a landscaping trailer that weighs probably 1500 pretty much daily without much complaint from the taco. It's strictly city stop and go, and I still get 17-19 mpg.

Yea the truck im looking at has a Hitch on it already so thats good. Thanks for the info Bro!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
^Too add the this, yes my truck is an Auto and I'd put it the lower drive so I'd have some engine braking capabilities while going down hill. As far as the weight, the boat itself weighs 2,300 lbs and the trailer 1,000 lbs so I was just under the towing capacity. Like I said on straight flat roads it pulled just fine, and even pulling it out of the water it worked great. Only on steep hills which is pretty much every turn out here in the hill country does it bog down.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
Coolidge will become famous soon enough

Name: Guy
Coolidge's Tacoma Gallery
I pull a 21ft Car Trailer. Its usually loaded with dirt bikes and stuff. But Ive never had a prob towing: power, etc
Old 08-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #16
Killer is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shedKiller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Killer's Tacoma Gallery
My 3.4L pulled this red 26' trailer this weekend, with a 3 wheeler, 4 wheeler and a dirt bike. As you can tell this trailer is not small by any means but, the truck still got up to 75 mph on the interstate. I had to down shift for hills though.
Attached Thumbnails
3.4L Pulling Power??-toyota-tacoma.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #17
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
That 5 speed will pull awesome, I wish I still had a 5 speed taco
Just curious? How heavy does your trailer and boat weigh?

I think the owners manual says with the v6 and a towing package you can pull up to 6000lb.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
"thats what she said"
01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future

yeah my manual says 6k. just gotta make sure u have the proper hitch.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #19
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
yes sir! Also If you are pullin anything with an auto make sure you have a tranny cooler!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #20
"thats what she said"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraether View Post
yes sir! Also If you are pullin anything with an auto make sure you have a tranny cooler!
tranny cooler? thats a new one for me, didnt know i would ever need or that they were available