Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Vibrations in the steering wheel from 60-65 mph...any ideas?

Old 08-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
Vibrations in the steering wheel from 60-65 mph...any ideas?

i just got new wheels and tires, obviously had them balanced and had an alignment done on tuesday and took a mini road trip this weekend and when i get to about 60mph whether i'm accelerating decelerating or just coasting, i get vibrations in the steering wheel but the truck seems to be riding fine and not bumpy its just the steering wheel. any ideas?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
The balance is still a little off. Exactly what happened to my truck. Take it back and ask them to check the machine calibration and rebalance.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
well i won't really be able to go back to them since their not open on weekends and i'm at college now so the only time i can go is weekends so i'll have to go to someone else but i'm glad to know its just the balancing
Old 08-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with ISU that it is likely a wheel balance issue. One thing you can do is to move the front wheels to the back and see if the vibs change. If they do, you've pretty much narrowed down the culprit. A rear wheel out of balance you will generally feel in your seat.

However, it they don't change, there might be some other factors involved.

When I first lifted mine, I had similar vibs that were limited to high speeds. They showed up between 55-65 mph. Turned out I had just a little bit of axle boot rub. I could see and feel where one finn on each 'inside' boot was touching the one next to it. Just barely though. My solution was installing the diff drop kit which fixed it.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
already7 has a spectacular aura aboutalready7 has a spectacular aura aboutalready7 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Allen
already7's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely still a little out of balance. I had the same problem with mine. At about 63 it would start to pick up a vibration. Had to have them rebalanced with only 3k miles on them.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
There have ben many threads about steering wheel shaking and vibration at around 45MPH to 70 MPH. I myself have had this problem.For some time. I have had my tires balanced many of times with no success. Well I am here to tell you guys that it is a diffinate tire balance issue. I just had my tires rebalanced from another tire shop.This guy took his time would not give up until it was right. It took him about an hour and a half. After driving it around for a day. It is as smoth as glass. No more shaking of the steering wheel. Man that is a great feeling. I am running BFGs AT. 31x10.50R15.