Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thinking about buying this... need some dealership advice.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Farva is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Name: Justin
Farva's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about buying this... need some dealership advice.

Well I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this truck, It's about 2 hours away from me, so I'm probably gonna take one trip up to see it in person, and then another to buy it when I get the financing with PenFed figured out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DOUBL...US_Cars_Trucks

They're asking price is about $1000 below MSRP KBB. And they want another 2kish for the 3yr/30,000mile GM warranty.

I feel like I may have some wiggle room here, due to it being at a Chevy dealership. I've never dealt with big dealerships and was looking for some advice on haggling with them.

I'd like to get the keys and the warranty (also see if I can extend it to 5yr/50,000mile just to protect me up to the 100,000 mile mark) for what they're asking and I'm fine with playing a little hardball if it'll shave some more off the price.

Let me know what ya think.

Thanks guys, can't explain how much help this site has been since I found it.

Justin
Old 08-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DSully72's Tacoma Gallery
looks like a beautiful truck, but with that accident reported, its risky.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #3

Coast Guard:
Farva's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I was thinking the same thing. I've been on the phone a few times with them, and the guy I'm dealing with says the accident doesnt show up on carfax, but it does show up on autocheck (what Ebay uses). I'm gonna try to get them to email me the full CarFax on it. If you look close at the front left you can see like a baseball size dent in the bumper. If that's the extent im ok, I'll probably be going aftermarket there anyway.

It was a leased vehicle for the first 20,000 miles (04-06) then privately owned (purchased from toyota dealer) from 07-2010 when it was traded into this Chevy place. He said the frames had that preventive sprat Toyota's been putting on these to delay the inevitable full frame replacement. And while under the drop in bedliner has the normal where an tear that those things cause, it's nothing to write home about.

We'll see I'll probably go check it out early this week. Any suggestions on how to get what I want from a dealership?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DSully72's Tacoma Gallery
yeah gotta be careful though... dont take a lot to put a ding in the frame.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Kelly blue book says this truck is worth about $14,000 in excellent condition.
http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/toyota/...&mileage=56000
Old 08-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #6

Coast Guard:
Farva's Tacoma Gallery
Thats weird when I did the KBB all my numbers where about 2k more than the ones on your try. I noticed you didn't click the "limited" option, maybe that's why? We arent far from each other so location wouldn't have effected it.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice truck.
I wonder what the accident was because it has to be more than just the dent in the bumper I would think.
When my wife went to trade in her Highlander the dealer really lowered the trade in value because of the accident report even though the vehicle was completely repaired.
Also I wonder why you put so much value on the warranty. You say it going to cost $2k? That truck should be good for a long time.
I'd offer $13k and be firm about it.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i would jump on that in a heartbeat. id trade my 2010 double cab for that.dont do the extended warranty. they are a scam.haggle on the price.check the frame for rust. carfax it and see if anything comes up. carfax isnt 100% but its better than nothing
Old 08-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is the private party sale price. The truck is at a dealership so expect to pay more.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #11

Coast Guard:
Farva's Tacoma Gallery
13k!? You think I got that kind of room Barnone? That'd be killer.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
i've bought two of them (an 01 and 04). i'd never even consider paying 2K for a warranty... that's why i'm buying a toyota to begin with.

maybe i'll get my buddy who owns a bunch of dealerships to sell some warranties online here on this forum for barely over his cost... i'll talk to him and see.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #13
david7268 is on a distinguished road
david7268's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffRock View Post

Since when does $14700 equate to "about $14000" If that's the case, then let me borrow 700 bucks. I'll owe you about $0.

Anyway, the warranty should not cost you any more than $600. They will try downgrading it to a cheaper warranty, but make sure they don't. If they won't budge, then don't buy it.

I would expect to pay between 15000 and 16500. Penfed will use NADA guide for determining how much they will lend you. I think you should be covered as far as that goes. They are also offering 2.99% up to 60 months.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #14

Coast Guard:
Farva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by david7268 View Post
Since when does $14700 equate to "about $14000" If that's the case, then let me borrow 700 bucks. I'll owe you about $0.

Anyway, the warranty should not cost you any more than $600. They will try downgrading it to a cheaper warranty, but make sure they don't. If they won't budge, then don't buy it.

I would expect to pay between 15000 and 16500. Penfed will use NADA guide for determining how much they will lend you. I think you should be covered as far as that goes. They are also offering 2.99% up to 60 months.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind when talking to em about the warranty... I don't know why I'm hung up on that I guess, I know it's a toyota and won't let me down, It's just seems like it'd be a good feeling to know you got some protection if the stuff hits the fan.

And I talked to Penfed the other day, and the lady said the 2.99% is until the end of august, when they will either change it or stay the same. She said only the bigwigs no whats gonna happen with it on Sept 1st.

As far as your prices I think I'm going to walk in and offer 15000, and see where that lands me.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #15

Coast Guard:
Farva's Tacoma Gallery
By the way would it be out of line for me to drop a thread for this in the 2nd Gen section since they all probably recently dealt with dealerships for their rigs? Or maybe the B/S/T?
Old 08-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #16
tacotopher is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
tacotopher's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks awesome. See if they will let you demo it for a day or two and have everything checked out. You never can tell about those big stealerships... Love the looks of the truck tho
Old 08-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #17
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farva View Post
13k!? You think I got that kind of room Barnone? That'd be killer.
In my experience an accident report really hurts the value of a vehicle even if it is repaired to excellent condition.
Take that truck to a dealer to trade it in and you will find out.
That's why I say $13k.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #18

Coast Guard:
Farva's Tacoma Gallery
Well I went to the dealer today, and It's a beautiful truck! The leaf springs are sagged a bit at the front end of them and underneath the leer cap on the bed rails is a little chewed up from the cap it self. It's got a cheesy tuff country block lift kit in it that the dealership didnt even know about.

After a looong test drive and an probably and hour under and around the truck, The guy thought he'd be "genorous' and knock 500 dollars off the asking price, which would bring it to 17,390. I offered 16,000 out the door, and I'm gonna take care of taxes/tags/etc. And he said "he just couldnt go that low."

I couldnt see paying any more than that for the truck so I told him I'd have to chew on it and left.

Hopefully he calls me with a better price.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #19
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farva View Post
Well I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this truck, It's about 2 hours away from me, so I'm probably gonna take one trip up to see it in person, and then another to buy it when I get the financing with PenFed figured out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DOUBL...US_Cars_Trucks

They're asking price is about $1000 below MSRP KBB. And they want another 2kish for the 3yr/30,000mile GM warranty.

I feel like I may have some wiggle room here, due to it being at a Chevy dealership. I've never dealt with big dealerships and was looking for some advice on haggling with them.

I'd like to get the keys and the warranty (also see if I can extend it to 5yr/50,000mile just to protect me up to the 100,000 mile mark) for what they're asking and I'm fine with playing a little hardball if it'll shave some more off the price.

Let me know what ya think.

Thanks guys, can't explain how much help this site has been since I found it.

Justin
EDIT - just saw you told him you'd have to think about it, smart move, give yourself a day or so to really think about your impressions...

Ok here's my take, the cliffs notes version, and it might not be as positive as everyone else has been but it's my honest commentary:

- paint between driver and rear driver side door does not match, it is clearly visible in the first pic. I presume it is because the fender and driver's door were painted due to the accident. Inspect that closely when you go see it and look for tape lines on the inside of the door jambs as well as any cheese, wetsanding marks or waves in the paint. People are so ignorant you wouldn't believe what a body shop gets away with.

- Autocheck shows only when the police are involved. This doesnt necessarily mean a bad accident, just one where the cops showed up. Remember, carfax and autocheck CANNOT legally obtain insurance company records...if they could, probably 40% of all vehicles would show an accident.

- CHECK THE FRAME

- Don't do the warranty, you are looking at one of the most mechanically reliable vehicles still on the road today.

- How can a confirmed accident vehicle score 96 on the autocheck??

That said, it still might be a good truck, but at that price you're getting very close to 2nd gen dcab territory which gives you a bigger truck with more creature comforts, so it is my opinion that even with 56k, they are asking too much. Keep your wits about you and use common sense. It's easy to get an adrenalin rush upon seeing it and pulling the trigger, only to have buyer's remorse. Go look at it, then take a drive, come back a half hour later, whatever it takes to make yourself as objective as possible.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #20

Coast Guard:
Farva's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the insight 96er, thats some good advice. I actually didn't notice the paint you're talking about, not even in person. I looked pretty hard for any overspray in that area from a body shop but didn't find any.

And the guy did call me today. He said "he talked to the boss, and he could come down to 17,000" so another. I told him still to rich for me and to be honest after sleeping on it, I thought my offer of 16,000 was even borderline to high. Gaaah can't stand dealerships, bunch of skeevers haha.

Again thanks for the insight!