Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Timing Belt...

Old 08-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
beach_yota03 is on a distinguished road

Name: jonny
beach_yota03's Tacoma Gallery
Timing Belt...

im at like 105k miles and havent changed my timing belt.. i know im suppose to at 90k but no time.. will it break? or bend any valves if it does break?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
will it break? maybe, are there cracks in it? and all hell will break loose if it does break so i'd be proactive and replace it while you're good
Old 08-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #3

so im guessing it will bend valves and what not?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
Nope. Non interference engine. Won't do any damage unless it's just pieces of the belt flying everywhere. I'd change it before that happens though.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #5

ya i got the belt just gotta get the time. i was just wanting to make sure it wasnt an interference motor. anyone in north carolina wanna change it?
Old 08-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach_yota03 View Post
ya i got the belt just gotta get the time. i was just wanting to make sure it wasnt an interference motor. anyone in north carolina wanna change it?
Get a new water pump and t stat as well. Chances are the water pump is leaking anyway.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach_yota03 View Post
im at like 105k miles and havent changed my timing belt.. i know im suppose to at 90k but no time.. will it break? or bend any valves if it does break?
Some people have gone 150k+ and the belt looks fantastic. Others have it replaced at 90k and its about ready to go. There's really no way to know until you pop the cover and take a look though.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:53 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
Some people have gone 150k+ and the belt looks fantastic. Others have it replaced at 90k and its about ready to go. There's really no way to know until you pop the cover and take a look though.
You CAN NOT go by how the belt looks.

There's NO WAY you can determine how weak or strong a belt it by looking at it.

There are nylon strands inside a timing belt that are what holds it together. These strands are what experience weakness over time. And again, there's NO WAY of knowing how long they'll last.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
kumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud of
kumaWRX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Get a new water pump and t stat as well. Chances are the water pump is leaking anyway.
I advise you to replace all the components behind the timing cover, including the 2 cam seals and crank seal, the timing belt tensioner and idler pulleys and of course the w/p and t-stat. Because if any one of those components goes bad guess what, you're tearing it all down again, better safe than sorry.