Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

GREY WIRE MOD

Old 08-22-2010, 04:20 AM   #1
beach_yota03 is on a distinguished road

Name: jonny
beach_yota03's Tacoma Gallery
GREY WIRE MOD

goin to do the grey wire mod today. hope all goes well!
Old 08-22-2010, 04:40 AM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach_yota03 View Post
goin to do the grey wire mod today. hope all goes well!

It is sooooo easy it'll take longer to get the tools than it takes to do it !!!

yer gonna luv it !!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my question why do you think that Toyota designed the locker for use in low range only, I was thinking its because you could do damage engageing it at speeds higher in the 4 wheel high range, I have thought about doing the mod myself, but concerns about locking it up on the fly in 4 high have made me reluctant to do so.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
No I think they added it as an overkill feature for when you are actually stuck. It says only use when stuck, which if I was stuck I would put it in 4 low to try and get out. Then I have the extra security of the locker.
But lockers are designed to be used whenever and however you want to use them. The grey wire mod allows you to use it whenever you want, however, you still need to be going under 5mph for it to engage. But then you can drive as fast as need be with it locked.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
beach_yota03 is on a distinguished road

Name: jonny
beach_yota03's Tacoma Gallery
ok i have trouble locking mine in 4 low what r the steps of getting it to lock in? the locker.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Ultimate TRD
fireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Brian
fireman_343's Tacoma Gallery
Below 5mph (stopped is best) and push button (in 4L w/o gray wire mod) and once the light stops flashing it's engaged! Might have to go backwards for a few feet, then drive forward?

I'm going to do this to mine soon.. From what I understand, don't go too fast in 4H with it locked (like going down the highway 65mph locked). Haha

This has all been talked about in the GrayWire Mod thread!
Old 08-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah engage below 5mph, then drive slowly forward and turn slightly back and forth. It usually takes a tire revolution or 2.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
Here's my question why do you think that Toyota designed the locker for use in low range only, I was thinking its because you could do damage engageing it at speeds higher in the 4 wheel high range, I have thought about doing the mod myself, but concerns about locking it up on the fly in 4 high have made me reluctant to do so.

As you state, you don't want to engage the locker on the fly, why not just engage the locker in 2w (after the grey mod) when you get off road & then you can engage your 4x on the fly as usual with no fear of damage. I too was reluctant to do the mod but now I'm glad I did it works flawlessly & seamless in operation....
Old 08-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Doug, have you left the rear locked on the street, yet... (paved streets... I know you are in East County )?

How is the steering if you have it locked on pavement? Do you hear the tires chirping?

Will you play PreRunner and try hill climbs in 2WD now?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Doug, have you left the rear locked on the street, yet... (paved streets... I know you are in East County )?

How is the steering if you have it locked on pavement? Do you hear the tires chirping?

Will you play PreRunner and try hill climbs in 2WD now?

OH HEEEEELL NO David never ,never,ever would I lock any diff. on pavement, too much of a chance of breaking drivetrain & it can be a little dangerous at speed but if you mean have I forgotten it & left it on, OH HEEEEEEELL NO David , Hope I don't, but I'm not in the habit of going for the little magic button till I'm on dirt.....

Already kinda tried,(locked 2w) but its just not the same in locked /4H/4L