Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Light off roading with non TRD 01 Taco

Old 08-22-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
doctorbrad is on a distinguished road
Name: bradley
doctorbrad's Tacoma Gallery
Light off roading with non TRD 01 Taco

First post for me. Just bought 01 2.7 manual 4x4 sr5 taco with 90k in excellent shape, beautifully kept up by the second owner. Nice little truck, with no bells except A/C, rhinoliner, K & N cold air intake, and a nice tool box. It is NOT the TRD. I will have it in Mexico with mostly dirt roads, no major off roading high speed stuff just dirt roads around the beach with bunches of potholes. Is this baby up to the task?? How about more aggressive climbing off road stuff without the TRD? Also I read that the towing capacity is 3500 but the truck only weighs that much. I'll have a 2-3k pound trailer at most. Will it do ok pullijng that down the highway with the 4 cylinder? Anything else for a new taco owner about this truck I should know. I can see why people like these 4 cylinders, got some guts to it. thanks in advance
Old 08-22-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Any non 4x4 TRD is just as capable offroading Vs. a 4x4 TRD.

As far as towing is concerned, I don't have much experience towing with a I4. But I have seen threads on here with guys asking the same question. And they do just fine, just don't go over your towing capacity.
It may take a lot longer to get up to a good towing speed, and good MPG's will go out the door.
Also would suggest putting an oil cooler on (TRD trucks have) if you plan on doing a lot of towing, or long distance/heavier loads.
And make sure all your oil changes are up to date, and maintenance.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
doctorbrad is on a distinguished road
Name: bradley
doctorbrad's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for your response, will definitely keep up on the maintenance, and my towing is only going to be rare
Old 08-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
Light offroading you should be fine.

Just yesterday I went out with a bunch of people from this site and did some offroading in my stock TRD 5spd. Bear in mind I haven't gone 4 wheeling before or used my truck for that, but man was I amazed at what it could do! We were climbed some pretty knarly steep/sandy hills and not once did I have to through it in low. In fact what got me the most was that I had it in 2wd 90% of time and probably could have done most all of it with it in there, but I did have it in 4x some of time for precautionary on the steep inclines. The thing just hooked up time and time again in 2wd even when going through the woops in the sandy wash pits and sliding around in the sand. I was really amazed. No, I have not done the grey wire mod so the locker was not engaged.I think the biggest down fall with a stock lift is ground clearence, but even then I did not scrape anything once the whole time.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorbrad View Post
First post for me. Just bought 01 2.7 manual 4x4 sr5 taco with 90k in excellent shape, beautifully kept up by the second owner. Nice little truck, with no bells except A/C, rhinoliner, K & N cold air intake, and a nice tool box. It is NOT the TRD. I will have it in Mexico with mostly dirt roads, no major off roading high speed stuff just dirt roads around the beach with bunches of potholes. Is this baby up to the task?? How about more aggressive climbing off road stuff without the TRD? Also I read that the towing capacity is 3500 but the truck only weighs that much. I'll have a 2-3k pound trailer at most. Will it do ok pullijng that down the highway with the 4 cylinder? Anything else for a new taco owner about this truck I should know. I can see why people like these 4 cylinders, got some guts to it. thanks in advance
The only thing your really missing is the rear locker.

If you are conservative off pavement, you'll be fine. A more aggressive all-terrain type of tire will also help by giving you better traction in those iffy situations, those situations where having a rear locker makes up for a lack of traction.