Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Westin bull bar thoughts?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
TinkTac is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
TinkTac's Tacoma Gallery
Westin bull bar thoughts?

Just got my '02 Taco back from the dealer after a full frame replacement. (North East states recall.) I was thinking about putting a Westin Bull bar on it as a welcome back(8 weeks it sat...) Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Does it mount to the frame? I can't seem to find any info on where it's going to mount and how sturdy/stable it's going to be. everyone seems to like it though...
Old 08-22-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
who is everyone because here the overwhelming consensus is no to bull bars...

however if you like them by all means get one

they mount on the frame rail ends where your tow hooks are...using the same 2 bolts on each side
Old 08-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #3

TinkTac's Tacoma Gallery
So... No to bull bars? Why? Brush guards? I live in boston, Brush seems to be few and far between except for those who fall off the highway. I want something somewhat mimialist to maybe mount some fog lights and protect against the errant soccer moms in giant lexus' and suburbans.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

As long as you understand that they are made of cheap thin metal...and wont stand up to much more than a shopping cart and need a place for lights then youre good
Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #5

TinkTac's Tacoma Gallery
Yet still no recommendations... 2 and a half inch stainless tubing seems like it may stand up to a bit more than a shopping cart...maybe i miss spoke, A westin grille guard? 33-0905
Old 08-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
if you live in boston, dont forget bull bar adds a few inches to your truck. not saying that you cant park, but people around you wont take that bar into account
Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #7

TinkTac's Tacoma Gallery
Thats what I'm hoping for, I parallel parked in Harvard Square for more than a year. I'm hoping to save some paint on my plastic... Anyone know why the consensus is NO to bull bars? Is everyone going to tell me I need to get a stainless steel bumper assembly with a whinch assembly and a full wrap around brush guard and a sticker that reads "If you can read this, flip me over!"
Old 08-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkTac View Post
Yet still no recommendations... 2 and a half inch stainless tubing seems like it may stand up to a bit more than a shopping cart...maybe i miss spoke, A westin grille guard? 33-0905
no recommendations...its 6 of one and a half dozen of the other

theyre supposed to LOOK like they'll protect the front of your truck but if any considerable force is applied they'll bend back into your bumper...thus defeating the purpose you want it for

lots of people buy them and then later realize it adds inches to the truck and just doesnt have the strength theyre looking for

brush guards are in the same category

simple physics would show that anything like that mounted only on the 2 frame ends will bend when force is applied to the unsupported side
Old 08-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #10

TinkTac's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you tigerfan!! now that makes sense!! ThaNK you. So... what would you recommend then if I wanted some sort of protection up front? I commute to and from northern VT every month so deer can be an issue. What do You have?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

i had a bull bar for less than 6 months...bought it used for $50...turned around and gave it away

after a month or so all i saw was my truck with an awful shiny chin...and it didnt protect jack...and it ruined my approach angle

i have a full steel ARB bumper (but no winch)
Old 08-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DSully72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just got my '02 Taco back from the dealer after a full frame replacement. (North East states recall.) I was thinking about putting a Westin Bull bar on it as a welcome back(8 weeks it sat...) Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Does it mount to the frame? I can't seem to find any info on where it's going to mount and how sturdy/stable it's going to be. everyone seems to like it though...

I say go for it =)
Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #13
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DSully72's Tacoma Gallery
oh and btw, it mounts onto where your front tow hooks are.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #14

TinkTac's Tacoma Gallery
What is the mounting like on an ABR bumper? is this a professional install only? or something that I can tackle with a buddy, a toll set and a six pack? website for pricing?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
What is the mounting like on an ABR bumper? is this a professional install only? or something that I can tackle with a buddy, a toll set and a six pack? website for pricing?
ARB bumpers are pricey...i paid $550 for mine used

they mount using crush cans on the frame rails into the body of the bumper itself...keeping it energy absorbing while still stout as hell
Old 08-22-2010, 07:52 PM   #16

TinkTac's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, so just looked at the Sahara Abr bumper, any thoughts?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #17
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you tigerfan!! now that makes sense!! ThaNK you. So... what would you recommend then if I wanted some sort of protection up front? I commute to and from northern VT every month so deer can be an issue. What do You have?
Tigerfan knows his stuff.

If it's deer you're concerned about I would just increase your insurance coverage. Not much is going to protect the truck from a deer.

Articc22 hit a deer going 55mph
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...hate-deer.html

For minimal protection and not taking away from my approach angle I've been pleased with my CrossFab light bar. But of course it all goes back to your own personal preference, if you like bull bars go for it.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Ok, so just looked at the Sahara Abr bumper, any thoughts?
pretty sure the Deluxe Bull Bar is the only ARB bumper avail for your truck
Old 08-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #19
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoTaco View Post
Tigerfan knows his stuff.

If it's deer you're concerned about I would just increase your insurance coverage. Not much is going to protect the truck from a deer.

For minimal protection and not taking away from my approach angle I've been pleased with my CrossFab light bar. But of course it all goes back to your own personal preference, if you like bull bars go for it.

Actually ARB and Shrockworks bumpers both have had several threads on various forums concerning deer damage...which was minimal...there was some blood and hair...and a bent front license plate...and no more deer
Old 08-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #20
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
Actually ARB and Shrockworks bumpers both have had several threads on various forums concerning deer damage...which was minimal...there was some blood and hair...and a bent front license plate...and no more deer
I can't find the thread but I swear I saw one awhile back where a deer did some damage to big bumper. I think it was an All Pro bumper (however the bumper could be repaired) nothing against All Pro they make great stuff.

Anyway you look at it deer are bad news.