Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

When do you put your deckplate back in?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
When do you put your deckplate back in?

Just wondering when all you guys out there who have the deckplate mod put the deckplate back in? Snowy weather, rain, dusty conditions? When do you decide its time to screw that puppy back in?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Toyota FTW
2000yota has a spectacular aura about2000yota has a spectacular aura about2000yota has a spectacular aura about

Name: Garrett
2000yota's Tacoma Gallery
ive had mine for a few months now and never have put it back in. nothin really seems to get in there
Old 08-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I was in talcom powder dirt yesterday and thre it back in and that got me wondering if I really needed to put it back in.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've opened my airbox up with the plate open after hitting some fairly large puddles in the rain (the ones that are big enough to hit your windshield). There was a very minimal amount of water in the bottom of the box but the filter was high and dry.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
tacomabud has a spectacular aura abouttacomabud has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bud
tacomabud's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomabud
I just got back from driving through a NASTY rain storm (highways flooded!), and I forgot to put the cover on before I started driving. The truck did just fine, seemed to not have any affect on it. However, it would probably still be good to play it safe and put the cover on when it rains or out wheeling. That's what I usually try to practice to help protect my truck.

And as for winter, I would only imagine it would be a good idea to put the cover on to prevent MPG loss. That's what I'm going to try out once colder weather roles around considering this is my first year with it.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
When I wheel, I usually put it in.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
honestly...i leave mine out all the time....wheeling and normal driving.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #9

Ok this makes me feel better about some of the crap I fly through when I have it out. Thanks for the answers guys
Old 08-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Haha I dont even know where I put my cover at
Old 08-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Never.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Guess I'm the minority here, I put mine in and haven't taken it back out yet. I didn't notice much positive difference but felt like I had less power on takeoff with it out.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #15
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
I would never wheel with mine off. My truck came with a K&N FIPK. I sold it after the first time I wheeled the truck.

When I go wheeling, deckplate cover goes back in along with a new stock air filter. After wheeling & washing down the engine bay, K&N drop in goes back in & deckplate cover off.

After a day's wheeling dirt or weekend at Pismo, the stock filter is heavily filled with dirt even with the deckplate cover & running the stock elbow. Not as bad in the sand though but I would never trust a high flow filter & deckplate removed wheeling.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i havent put mine in in almost 4 years
Old 08-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #17
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero4 View Post
I would never wheel with mine off. My truck came with a K&N FIPK. I sold it after the first time I wheeled the truck.

When I go wheeling, deckplate cover goes back in along with a new stock air filter. After wheeling & washing down the engine bay, K&N drop in goes back in & deckplate cover off.

After a day's wheeling dirt or weekend at Pismo, the stock filter is heavily filled with dirt even with the deckplate cover & running the stock elbow. Not as bad in the sand though but I would never trust a high flow filter & deckplate removed wheeling.
thats why I have a NAPA gold air filter. Its not high flow. I care about filtration more than performance.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #18
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomabud View Post
I just got back from driving through a NASTY rain storm (highways flooded!), and I forgot to put the cover on before I started driving. The truck did just fine, seemed to not have any affect on it. However, it would probably still be good to play it safe and put the cover on when it rains or out wheeling. That's what I usually try to practice to help protect my truck.

And as for winter, I would only imagine it would be a good idea to put the cover on to prevent MPG loss. That's what I'm going to try out once colder weather roles around considering this is my first year with it.

Have you noticed any MPG loss more than normal in cold weather with it Out vs In? Has anyone?
Old 08-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #19
tacomabud has a spectacular aura abouttacomabud has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bud
tacomabud's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomabud
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigB View Post
Have you noticed any MPG loss more than normal in cold weather with it Out vs In? Has anyone?
I put my deckplate in this previous March, so there has not been many cold days where I would notice much of a difference. But I'm going to test with and without it when making my 190 mile commute to school this winter.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #20
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomabud View Post
I put my deckplate in this previous March, so there has not been many cold days where I would notice much of a difference. But I'm going to test with and without it when making my 190 mile commute to school this winter.
OK, I'm probably going to install mine on my days off, I'll just wait and see what happens when we get our first of many sub 0 days!