Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Have you survived a frame rebuild?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
openstage is on a distinguished road
openstage's Tacoma Gallery
Have you survived a frame rebuild?

My 2002 Taco has less than 79k miles on it. They inspected, and I just heard they will do the frame redo on it. Has anyone come through this with your sanity intact? Any advice? Can you answer any of the following:

1. How long did it take them?
2. Now that you've had it back a while, how has it been riding since the rebuild - any problems?
3. What parts did they recommend for you to replace and which ones (if any) did you have replaced while they had it apart?
4. Are replacing the part really a good deal or just a way for them to squeeze more $$ out of us?
5. What should I keep an eye/ear out for when it comes back?

Thanks!

openstage
openstage View Public Profile Send a private message to openstage Find More Posts by openstage Add openstage to Your Contacts

Old 08-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I had mine done last october with pretty good results. I'll get to the one issue in a second:
1) took about a month, most of the time was waiting for toyota to ship the parts and frame but I had a free loaner car the whole time
2) the only problem was they forgot to tighten my exhaust which tripped a CEL. It could have been bad, the bolts from the cat to the rear where only finger tight, I actually unscrewed them with just my fingers and if they'd fallen off while driving I don't want to think about what would have happened. I called the dealer and told them about it and they offered me a free oil change, gee thanks guys.

3) No recommendations from them and I didn't have anything done, but I should have had one of my steering rack boots replaced. It ripped shortly after I got it back.

4) Most dealers I've heard of including mine said they'd do work without charging for labor, so it is a pretty good deal if you need something done. I'd recommend searching your truck for things that might need done and having it done while it's apart.

5) check your bolts for the exhaust! Other than that, I don't know, but make sure you get a copy of all the work written down and keep it for your records.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
TacoMike will become famous soon enough

Marines: Sgt, 2nd Marine Division
TacoMike's Tacoma Gallery
Here's what I did when they replaced the frame on my '04. They had the truck about a month, job only took 4/5 days. There were a few ahead of mine. Take full advantage of the situation if you can. You can get a reduce labor rate on some stuff because the truck is apart. I bought front and rear bilsteins, calipers, rotors, and pads. New synthetic fluids, for everything. I had the shop put in a new water pump and belt while it was apart. My truck had 58,000 on it at the time. All in all I spent $1200 on parts and labor for the stuff not included in the frame swap. Not a bad investment. I can't complain about anything, mine turned out good.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
openstage,

you have mail ..