Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Overheating, help!?!

Old 08-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
klem223 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
klem223's Tacoma Gallery
Overheating, help!?!

I'm new to the forum and am desperate for help. My 95, 2.7 liter Tacoma just started over heating on my way out of town on a hunting trip. I've never had any problems with it before. A friend who was with me was a Tech with Ford for years and we replaced the thermostat, changed the very old coolant, replaced the the radiator cap, the water pump appears to be functioning correctly, and the fan seems to be working. The truck seems to be running normally, it's not blowing out white exhaust and the oil is clean. It takes about 20 min at highway speed to get it to redline. It doesn't overheat driving around town. I took it to a shop today and they said the fan clutch is not working properly and the radiator may need to be replaced, the estimate so far is near $500.00. The shop also recommended I change the serpentine belt but I read on another site that the 2.7 liter is chain driven? I asked if the engine was pressurizing correctly and they said they hadn't checked that yet, or couldn't check that yet?. I have a feeling they're attempting to milk me.Unfortunately I'm not mechanical inclined and my friend flew home to Minnesota today. I do have another friend at hand that is able to do a lot of work on Toyotas and would have him replace fan clutch and radiator. Any ideas or thoughts would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
is the radiator stopped up?
Old 08-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Slaughtering goats
emtlibby will become famous soon enough
emtlibby's Tacoma Gallery
the timing chain is a chain. the serpentine belt is a belt....

if the fan clutch is bad just replace that.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
klem223's Tacoma Gallery
We drained the old coolant no problem, and my buddy said it looked like the new coolant was moving through like it should. The shop said it didn't know for sure and would have to pull it off. I got the truck 4yrs ago and am assuming it's the original radiator.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by emtlibby View Post
the timing chain is a chain. the serpentine belt is a belt....

if the fan clutch is bad just replace that.
x2 or at least replace belt but if coolant looked bad its most likely your radiator because it overheats on highway when you run constant higher RPMS.
I think they will have to remove clutch fan to get to radiator anyway (dont remember anymore) if they can get you a Toyota new one for good price may as well put it.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
klem223's Tacoma Gallery
I'm just worried it's the head gasket or a cracked block. My friend said the shop should be able to test if the engine is pressurizing correctly, but when I asked they said they hadn't or couldn't yet? I just don't want to be taken for a ride. I guess I'll replace the fan clutch and take it from there. Any other thoughts? Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
LoudDog is on a distinguished road
LoudDog's Tacoma Gallery
If the fan clutch is not working the fan won't turn as fast at it should. Good bet that is the problem. Or upgrade to an electric fan...

It's usually a good idea to change the belt, but if it's in good shape don't worry about it.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by klem223 View Post
I'm just worried it's the head gasket or a cracked block. My friend said the shop should be able to test if the engine is pressurizing correctly, but when I asked they said they hadn't or couldn't yet? I just don't want to be taken for a ride. I guess I'll replace the fan clutch and take it from there. Any other thoughts? Thanks!
Phantom nailed with the gasket no oil in coolant or no coolant in oil means you are safe.
Also fan does not do as much on the highway its radiator that needs to get heat out. Water pump is driven by belt not depended on fan speed.
If you want to start with something check radiator cap. If it seals correctly small repair that you can do cheap.
Still bet is that more likely its radiator clogged. It happens.
P.S.
Quote:
I just don't want to be taken for a ride.
Too late for that they probably figure out you are not a car person.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
klem223's Tacoma Gallery
We replaced the radiator cap right off because my buddy said that was shot. There was/is no coolant in the oil, but my friend and didn't notice/look to see if any oil was in the old nasty coolant but maybe there was, is was a dark mixture that the parts store guy thought that the place I got my coolant changed at may have mixed? The shop hasn't said anything to that effect that theres any in the new coolant that we put in so I have my fingers crossed. I'm looking for a new or used radiator here in Boise, and a fan clutch.