1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Overheating, help!?!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by klem223, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Aug 23, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    klem223

klem223 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    95, 2.7 liter, 4x4
    I'm new to the forum and am desperate for help. My 95, 2.7 liter Tacoma just started over heating on my way out of town on a hunting trip. I've never had any problems with it before. A friend who was with me was a Tech with Ford for years and we replaced the thermostat, changed the very old coolant, replaced the the radiator cap, the water pump appears to be functioning correctly, and the fan seems to be working. The truck seems to be running normally, it's not blowing out white exhaust and the oil is clean. It takes about 20 min at highway speed to get it to redline. It doesn't overheat driving around town. I took it to a shop today and they said the fan clutch is not working properly and the radiator may need to be replaced, the estimate so far is near $500.00. The shop also recommended I change the serpentine belt but I read on another site that the 2.7 liter is chain driven? I asked if the engine was pressurizing correctly and they said they hadn't checked that yet, or couldn't check that yet?. I have a feeling they're attempting to milk me.Unfortunately I'm not mechanical inclined and my friend flew home to Minnesota today. I do have another friend at hand that is able to do a lot of work on Toyotas and would have him replace fan clutch and radiator. Any ideas or thoughts would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Aug 23, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    is the radiator stopped up?

3. Aug 23, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    emtlibby

emtlibby Slaughtering goats

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DBLCAB
    the timing chain is a chain. the serpentine belt is a belt....

if the fan clutch is bad just replace that.

4. Aug 23, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    klem223

klem223 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    95, 2.7 liter, 4x4
    We drained the old coolant no problem, and my buddy said it looked like the new coolant was moving through like it should. The shop said it didn't know for sure and would have to pull it off. I got the truck 4yrs ago and am assuming it's the original radiator.

5. Aug 23, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    x2 or at least replace belt but if coolant looked bad its most likely your radiator because it overheats on highway when you run constant higher RPMS.
    I think they will have to remove clutch fan to get to radiator anyway (dont remember anymore) if they can get you a Toyota new one for good price may as well put it.

6. Aug 23, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    klem223

klem223 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    95, 2.7 liter, 4x4
    I'm just worried it's the head gasket or a cracked block. My friend said the shop should be able to test if the engine is pressurizing correctly, but when I asked they said they hadn't or couldn't yet? I just don't want to be taken for a ride. I guess I'll replace the fan clutch and take it from there. Any other thoughts? Thanks!

7. Aug 23, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    LoudDog

LoudDog Active Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab
    K&N CAI, NWOR HD Rear Leaf Springs
    If the fan clutch is not working the fan won't turn as fast at it should. Good bet that is the problem. Or upgrade to an electric fan...

It's usually a good idea to change the belt, but if it's in good shape don't worry about it.

8. Aug 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Phantom nailed with the gasket ;) no oil in coolant or no coolant in oil means you are safe.
    Also fan does not do as much on the highway its radiator that needs to get heat out. Water pump is driven by belt not depended on fan speed.
    If you want to start with something check radiator cap. If it seals correctly small repair that you can do cheap.
    Still bet is that more likely its radiator clogged. It happens.
    P.S.
    Too late for that they probably figure out you are not a car person. :D

9. Aug 23, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    klem223

klem223 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    95, 2.7 liter, 4x4
    We replaced the radiator cap right off because my buddy said that was shot. There was/is no coolant in the oil, but my friend and didn't notice/look to see if any oil was in the old nasty coolant but maybe there was, is was a dark mixture that the parts store guy thought that the place I got my coolant changed at may have mixed? The shop hasn't said anything to that effect that theres any in the new coolant that we put in so I have my fingers crossed. I'm looking for a new or used radiator here in Boise, and a fan clutch.

10. Aug 23, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    Killer

Killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    I would start by washing the outside of the radiator. In between the grills on the radiator you can get dirt in there and then the air can't cool the water.

It might fix it and it might not. But, it is cheap and easy to do.

11. Mar 24, 2015 at 11:15 AM
    scootn2nature

scootn2nature ttora member since 2001

Member:
    orinda
    Vehicle:
    2000 2.7l sr5
    bentup sliders, tjm t17, badland rear,custom leafsprings, fabtech performance co's,
    this isnt the case you can have blown head gasket with neither of the above exaust in water/coolant

or coolant out the exhaust

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to correct for any one who might read this.

12. Mar 24, 2015 at 11:25 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    wow, 5 year old thread????

I guess corrections are always good

sucks when people never give updates but im sure his radiator was restricted and replacing it solved the problem

Products Discussed in

To Top