Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Buying advice 4X4 or 4X4 with TRD

Old 08-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
rcm is on a distinguished road
rcm's Tacoma Gallery
Buying advice 4X4 or 4X4 with TRD

I am new to Taco ownership. Looking to buy a 1st Gen, and want to find out if 4X4 and TRD is overkill. I am not planning on towing anything, just weekend off road driving. Its a Auto 3.4 liter 6. Really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance
Old 08-23-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
The TRD comes with the rear locker, upgraded shocks and different rims. You call that one.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just the locker would be worth it to me...
Old 08-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
Przemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrzemekmsu is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Przemek
Przemekmsu's Tacoma Gallery
Well here is few questions yo have to ask your self????
1. Are you are going to do any type of Off Road adventures?
If your answer is YES then get the TRD.
If your answer is NO then don't get it.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
trd for sure. i just got one. i don't plan on doing any hardcore offroading, mostly just light stuff, but this is my way of justifying it.

1. it's a good safety feature. you normally don't use it, unless you get in over your head and get stuck. then you use the locker to get out. especially important if you ever go offroading by yourself.

2. it makes your vehicle more capable without having to raise the ride height or tire size.

3. you will never have to look back and regret not getting it.

4. resale, if you ever decide to sell, it will be much easier if it's a trd.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #6
rcm's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advise. Really. I am looking at a 2001 4X4 but does not have the trd. These trucks are hard to find. I guess in reading the responses, its best to wait and get both the 4X4 with TRD. Enough said, thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I got The TRD Off Road Prerunner...its good for what I all I do off road for the most part...

But get the 4x4 version if ya can...the locker makes all the difference IMHO
Old 08-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 96 4cyl without a locker.
I now have an 01 V6 with a locker.

Both trucks are wheeled and I must say, I like having the locker sooooo much. It's also nice for pulling boats out of the water on crappy ramps and getting out of steep dirt driveways in 2wd.

Can't wait for snow drifting...
Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
rcm's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I see the light. We will be going off road in the mountains of AZ and CO so will wait and find a 1st Gen with 4X4 with TRD. They are just hard to find, guess there is a reason for that.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Ok, I see the light. We will be going off road in the mountains of AZ and CO so will wait and find a 1st Gen with 4X4 with TRD. They are just hard to find, guess there is a reason for that.
You can always do the ARB lockers - they are good pieces of iron!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Lots of rocks out here buddy
Old 08-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
Go Jets GO!!!!!!
DigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud ofDigB has much to be proud of

Firefighter: Firefighter, WFD, E13, L13, W131/2
DigB's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a non TRD and I regret it. Don't get me wrong, I love my truck but if I had to do it again I would buy a TRD just for the minor upgrades, Locker and suspension! It just makes it more capable of road! I think I'll be getting a 2nd Gen DC TRD Off Road when I can afford it!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:41 AM   #13
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
How much more do you think the TRD pkg add's to the cost on 1st gen?
Old 08-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #14
BUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUB_IROC_Z is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt
Name: Anthony
BUB_IROC_Z's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a 2010 without TRD and kick myself almost everyday for not getting the TRD. If your looking to play in the mud or climb you will love that rear locker.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
vegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to beholdvegetopia is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jamie
vegetopia's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to vegetopia Send a message via MSN to vegetopia
if you've found a truck that you like, in good shape, for the right price, and it at least has 4x4, I would say go for it.

The comment about upgraded TRD suspension is moot as you will probably replace everything within the first year of owning it anyways.

The comment about the locker is moot because if you really need one, you can add it.

having 4x4 is the main issue, and finding a good truck is the next issue.

just my opinion though. obviously if you can find a TRD that you like for a good price, then get it. I'm just saying that you have options.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #16
chmura is on a distinguished road
chmura's Tacoma Gallery
I searched for 6 months for a low mileage manual TRD.

It was worth the wait.

If I every sell my Taco in So Cal it will sell this thing quickly.

I'm thinking about picking up a 2009 4Runner Trail Edition. If I do I can sell you mine. :P