1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for advice on new front suspension

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by weimar97, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Aug 24, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    weimar97

weimar97 [OP] Member

Member:
    southern Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2009 Sport 4x4
    I have a 2001 PreRunner with the 2.7L 4-cyl (106,xxx miles) and my driver's side front coil is shot. I've been to a couple shops and they all agree that the front suspension needs to be replaced. They've each said that the rear suspension needs to be replaced as well.

I'm not looking to lift my truck so therefore I'm not looking for something outrageous. I just want to replace the front suspension as well as the rear. I don't have a clue of what to get and I'm trying to be as economical (read: cheap) as I can with what I purchase. I found some last week on autoparts.com that were $88 a piece (coilover and shock made by Replacements(?)) but now the exact same item is $159.00. I "chatted" with live help and found them to be not much help.

What do you guys suggest? I've done the searches but all the responses I've read pertained to lifting the truck, etc.

2. Aug 24, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    We have stock height replacement packs for the rear, and can set you up with inexpensive shocks and coils for the front, as well as any other parts you may need.

3. Aug 24, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    What is your budget? For the parts? And for labor if you're not installing everything yourself?

For the rear - depending on the condition of your current leaf packs - you may buy some time by doing an AAL and not replacing the entire pack. That would leave you with more to spend on shocks and coils. Save up and do the full leaf swap later on. Wheelers/Alcan 4 leaf replacements will keep you at stock height. If you do want to replace the entire pack they would be a good choice. And watch out for YotaDan...he'll talk you into buying way too much if you're not careful (I kid).

Products Discussed in

To Top