Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rust Proofing Help!!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
oliverlove will become famous soon enough

Name: Oliver
oliverlove's Tacoma Gallery
Rust Proofing Help!!

Hey all I just moved to South Texas and my truck is rusting at an incredible rate!!! I have been here for 3 weeks now, and the few pin pricks i had in my bed are now full blown quarter sized spots!

I went to the local auto parts store and asked what I need to do, and was told I need to spray the underside of the truck with oil and treat all the rust immediately. Apparently because of how close we are to the ocean and the warm weather rust will eat a truck.

So.... Suggestions??

POR-15? the whole thing??

Bedliner??

HELP SAVE MY TRUCK!!!

2001 with a new frame already!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
You could do the Por-15 or a bunch of rattle can undercoat or if you got the money LineX the whole under side of the truck.

I'm in the San Francisco area so we have the salt in the air as well. I'm just gong to pick up a bunch of rattle can's of undercoat before mine rusts.
I'm fortunate enough to not have any rust under my truck yet.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
make sure to clean the underside of your truck really good before goin to town with the undercoating spray, by that i mean get all the loose surface rust and all the dirt and shit outta there or the undercoating wont stick very well.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Coming from New Hamshire, i would think Texas would be a walk in the park.

Just when you think you know it all...
Old 08-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
oliverlove will become famous soon enough

Name: Oliver
oliverlove's Tacoma Gallery
WNYT thats what I thought!! In NH, I would take the hose to the ol' girl and call it good. Run it through the local car was and make sure to get the sand and salt out, but this... this is a whole new threat. The salt is in the air.