Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Standard PreRunner offroad capability

Old 08-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
BDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BDP's Tacoma Gallery
Standard PreRunner offroad capability

I have a 01' non-TRD Tacoma PreRunner without 4x4.

I have heard good things about the offroad capabilities of the
TRD and the 4x4 models.

In general, how well does the standard PreRunner offroad?

Thank you,

-Paul
Old 08-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
well I would avoid any mud, snow, ice, large rocks, and sand with the open rear diff and 2wd. Get a locker in there and you will notice a huge difference in capability.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
my base model preruner did fine as long as I had enough momentum to get through any tough spots. I did manage to get stuck in some powdery sand once...If i was to be in the same spot again i would have aired down and hit it with some speed.

1. know your limits
2. speed is key
3. throttle control is the other key

Good luck
Old 08-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
BDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BDP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
well I would avoid any mud, snow, ice, large rocks, and sand with the open rear diff and 2wd. Get a locker in there and you will notice a huge difference in capability.
How do i get a "locker in there"????

Thanks,

Paul
Old 08-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
install one or have it installed.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sea...archid=1095713
Old 08-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
The prerunner is only as capable and the driver is. Same goes for 4x4. Mine handles light stuff with no problems but I try and use basic common sense. It will do snow if you know how to drive in snow. 10 wheel drive is useless if you are dumbass.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottri View Post
The prerunner is only as capable and the driver is. Same goes for 4x4. Mine handles light stuff with no problems but I try and use basic common sense. It will do snow if you know how to drive in snow. 10 wheel drive is useless if you are dumbass.
true, I take back my comment on ice, 4wd is going to do nothing in that situation.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
BDP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keason1* View Post

That link doesn't work for me. But thanks anyway.

-Paul
Old 08-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
BDP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You calling me a dumbass?? jk.

It makes sense tho.

Thanks,

-Paul
Old 08-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP View Post
You calling me a dumbass?? jk.

It makes sense tho.

Thanks,

-Paul

Not at all, a good driver can drive in a lot of questionable places if they know how to drive. A truck is much more capable with a capable driver behind the wheel. A dumbass could get a M1A1 tank stuck if they apply their dumbass gifts.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
MidnightSun is on a distinguished road
Name: Tim
MidnightSun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not at all, a good driver can drive in a lot of questionable places if they know how to drive. A truck is much more capable with a capable driver behind the wheel. A dumbass could get a M1A1 tank stuck if they apply their dumbass gifts.
That's why there are so many SUVs and WRXs lose control on snow.......
Old 08-25-2010, 04:40 AM   #12
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
That's why there are so many SUVs and WRXs lose control on snow.......
they are too confident with their cars and think it can get them out of anything. the right set of tires will also help out in driving in crappy conditions.

had the best times in the snow, dirt, mud, rain in my wrx.... i miss that car sometimes (never lost control, was never stupid when driving)