Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

hot day, auto trans over revs

Old 08-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
montanabay is on a distinguished road
montanabay's Tacoma Gallery
hot day, auto trans over revs

Hi All,

1996 2.7L 4WD Automatic. About three months ago I did a transmission fluid/filter change, I did my best to calculate in/out fluid to make sure I had about the right amount in it and also quadruple checked on the dip stick.

Well we've had our first day of 90+ degree weather here in the Bay Area and I noticed that the transmission seems to be reving fast and shifting a little slower.

I got the truck as level as possible and checked it after driving for a couple hours in the heat and the transmission oil was about .5" over the top "Hot" notch.

I was thinking that it might be a little over filled when extremely hot and the symptoms haven't manifested yet because we have a constant 70 degree weather pattern here and finally it got hot enough to cause problems.

So I just wanted to see if people thought that this might be from hot/expanded trans oil and I just need to drain 1/2qt?

Thanks!

Josh
Old 08-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
oh by the way its hot as balls in san jose 104. And thats hot for here you midwestern people
Old 08-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Club Soda Not Seals
Mush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mush
Mush Mouse's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt bother with 1/2 inch over leave it,checking it while running right? 64 Degrees today East coast Hallealujah
Old 08-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
montanabay is on a distinguished road
montanabay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mush Mouse View Post
I wouldnt bother with 1/2 inch over leave it,checking it while running right? 64 Degrees today East coast Hallealujah
FYI

my style dip stick has 4 notches, two for "cold", so the cold range is about 1" on the dip stick, same for the "hot" and I'm .5" over the "hottest" notch

At first I thought it was fine, but I didn't think it would be that much of a coincidence that the truck started doing this on the literally the first hot day of the summer and on the new fluid.

It hit 100 up here in Berkeley, 95% of the time its 70-80s.