1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hot day, auto trans over revs

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by montanabay, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Aug 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    montanabay

montanabay [OP] Active Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 4WD AUTO
    Hi All,

1996 2.7L 4WD Automatic. About three months ago I did a transmission fluid/filter change, I did my best to calculate in/out fluid to make sure I had about the right amount in it and also quadruple checked on the dip stick.

Well we've had our first day of 90+ degree weather here in the Bay Area and I noticed that the transmission seems to be reving fast and shifting a little slower.

I got the truck as level as possible and checked it after driving for a couple hours in the heat and the transmission oil was about .5" over the top "Hot" notch.

I was thinking that it might be a little over filled when extremely hot and the symptoms haven't manifested yet because we have a constant 70 degree weather pattern here and finally it got hot enough to cause problems.

So I just wanted to see if people thought that this might be from hot/expanded trans oil and I just need to drain 1/2qt?

Thanks!

Josh

2. Aug 24, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    oh by the way its hot as balls in san jose 104. And thats hot for here you midwestern people

3. Aug 24, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    I wouldnt bother with 1/2 inch over leave it,checking it while running right? 64 Degrees today East coast Hallealujah

4. Aug 24, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    montanabay

montanabay [OP] Active Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2.7L 4WD AUTO
    FYI

my style dip stick has 4 notches, two for "cold", so the cold range is about 1" on the dip stick, same for the "hot" and I'm .5" over the "hottest" notch

At first I thought it was fine, but I didn't think it would be that much of a coincidence that the truck started doing this on the literally the first hot day of the summer and on the new fluid.

It hit 100 up here in Berkeley, 95% of the time its 70-80s.

Products Discussed in

To Top