Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Frame Buyback question

Old 08-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
HiTec is on a distinguished road
HiTec's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Frame Buyback question

I have owned my truck 6 years. I just took my 98 extracab ,4x4 , SR5, 4cyl, 5 spd, cc, tw, radio with single cd, aftermarket alum wheels. with 158000 miles on it into Toyota. They said it would be a buyback and put me in a loaner truck. They said I would be getting a call from the guy that does final approval and he will start negotiations. Negotiations ? How do they negotiate? I thought it was a flat 1.5 kbb offer. I have heard this is retail in excellent conditions regardless the miles. So do they input your miles into kbb or do they put in something like 500 miles? If I put in my miles kbb says about $6000 if I put in 500 miles then it comes back with something like $8800. Although this seems like a good deal I am going to be in a bad spot since we were planning on replacing the other vehicle soon and getting another 150k out of my truck. Now I will not be able to find a 2005 4wd extracab Tacoma for the amount they give me without going into debt thus not being able to replace the other vehicle. I say 2005 so I get out of the frame rusting years.
Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, the mileage is factored. But it's a set price, they won't negotiate with you I don't think. They called me and told me the number and that was it. I was happy because it was 2x what I paid.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I say go for a 01 to 04 with no rust you will be much happyer almost everyone that down grades to a 2nd gen wishes they had there 1st gen back.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I say go for a 01 to 04 with no rust you will be much happyer almost everyone that down grades to a 2nd gen wishes they had there 1st gen back.
Ha ha not as much as one would think.
1. I like the idea that my front IFS diff is 30 not 27.
2 4.0L V6 on 2gen is light years ahead of V6 on 1gen and its pretty much everything you like on 2.7 but in V6 form factor.
3 Frame although it is rusting too still being open channel is easier to paint, weld etc.
4 Wider stance does make tuck little more stable
5 it seems much more clearance under the truck
6 FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser parts fit
7 I get great mileage on my V6 Auto only 4 MPG less then what I was getting on my 2.7 1gen with manual.

The bad's
1. Dreaded knobb for 4x4. Although as much as I complain about it has been working flawlessly so far. But I would rather have 1 gen lever action.
2. Bigger truck. Its definitely bigger in my case I went from reg cab 1 gen to DBL cab LB on 2 gen (twice the amount of truck) But I Reg cab probably would not feel the same.
3. Extra additions like annoying TPMS, Thortle by wire (that sucks)

all for all can not complain.