Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Grease Nipples ?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
vapovick is on a distinguished road
vapovick's Tacoma Gallery
Grease Nipples ?

Ok got your attention haha, I was lubing up the truck, and I only see 3 nipples along the drive shaft. Is that it? are there any on the hubs etc that I am missing?

Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
if you ever see more than 2 nipples.....stop and run
Old 08-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapovick View Post
Ok got your attention haha, I was lubing up the truck, and I only see 3 nipples along the drive shaft. Is that it? are there any on the hubs etc that I am missing?

Thanks again.
I have 9 zerks
Old 08-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Chachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shedChachie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
Chachie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGM View Post
if you ever see more than 2 nipples.....stop and run
And if they are on the shaft....well then idk what to tell ya. lol

But anyway, when i greased mine i think i found 4 or 6 if i remember correctly. There should be 2 on the front shaft; one on each end, 2 on the intermediate shaft and 2 on the final shaft.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Shit I just did this too, I think there's 7 on mine & no service for the double-cardan, yep pretty sure its 7 for mine, single cabs (1st gens) probably have 1 piece driveshaft
Old 08-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyasu45 View Post
I have 9 zerks

If we've got 9 which 2 am I missing? Guess I'll have to check again ....
Old 08-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
I want to say there's only 7 (for access and double cab), 1 for each u-joint, 1 on the rear shaft itself (slip yoke), and 1 in the middle piece.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Shit I just did this too, I think there's 7 on mine & no service for the double-cardan, yep pretty sure its 7 for mine, single cabs (1st gens) probably have 1 piece driveshaft
The first gens have a double cardan joint that can be greased...You might want to double check yours.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The first gens have a double cardan joint that can be greased...You might want to double check yours.
Bingo there's 2 that are hiding...
Old 08-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
There's also 2 more on the leaf spring shackles...
Old 08-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
And you don't want to risk messing up that Double Cardan Joint cause I heard it's Expensive
Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
Club Soda Not Seals
Mush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mush
Mush Mouse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyasu45 View Post
Bingo there's 2 that are hiding...
Should be three on the Double cardan better check again 2 are at the ujoint and the one iskinda in the center of both wipe away the grease youll find it
Old 08-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
correction 2 zerks on each leaf spring shackle...I just greased mine
Old 08-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mush Mouse View Post
Should be three on the Double cardan better check again 2 are at the ujoint and the one iskinda in the center of both wipe away the grease youll find it
and yes I have a total of 9 zerks along the driveshaft...I just went to grease mine and all the zerks were hidden on the double cardan haha...
Old 08-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Shit ok I've got 8 & I could only find 2 on the dbl cardan, I count 3 for the rear (1-Ujoint on diff,1-Ujoint from tailshaft,1-sliding yoke) 2 for the dbl cardan for a total of 5 for the rear driveline & 3 for the front: 1- Ujoint off transfer to front drvshaft, 1-frnt sliding yoke & 1- for frnt Ujoint bolting up to frnt diff. For a total of 8
Attached Thumbnails
Grease Nipples ?-web-dbl-cardan-grease-zirks.jpg   Grease Nipples ?-web-transfer-out-rear-drvshft.jpg   Grease Nipples ?-web-transfer-frnt-drvshft.jpg  
Old 08-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #16
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Can I just buy a standard grease gun with the fitting it comes with in order to grease all the zerks? Or do I need a special fitting?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #17
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96er View Post
Can I just buy a standard grease gun with the fitting it comes with in order to grease all the zerks? Or do I need a special fitting?

I use a standard tip no problems unless I get sloppy like I did in one pic
Old 08-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #18
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
I use a standard tip no problems unless I get sloppy like I did in one pic
Thanks man, I guess I pump until it oozes out? Even though that didn't sound good, that is SOP, correct?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #19
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96er View Post
Thanks man, I guess I pump until it oozes out? Even though that didn't sound good, that is SOP, correct?
He wants to pump his gun into the nipples until it oozes

j/k
Old 08-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #20
vapovick is on a distinguished road
vapovick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
He wants to pump his gun into the nipples until it oozes

j/k

oh man, look what I have started. I am gonna get back under there on Monday and get the rest done... I guess I have to really clean it up. They seem to be good at hiding.

./v