Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Frame inspection passed.. anything else supposed to happen

Old 08-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
smbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nice

Name: Scott
smbundy13's Tacoma Gallery
Frame inspection passed.. anything else supposed to happen

so, I got my frame inspected last weekend and the dealership said that it looked good.

were they supposed to anything else? I have read somewhere that they were supposed to coat it?

thanks alot.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
HeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant future

Name: Jacob
HeadlampRevamp's Tacoma Gallery
yes, you are supposed to get an under coating. At least around here thats the procedure since I'm in the salt belt. Not sure about AL.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbundy13 View Post
so, I got my frame inspected last weekend and the dealership said that it looked good.

were they supposed to anything else? I have read somewhere that they were supposed to coat it?

thanks alot.
Pretty sure only the approved states get the undercoating. I didn't get it either, so I just did it myself with some 3m undercoating spray on the outside and http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html on the inside.

I used about 1.5 cans for my frame when I did it, but I've been thinking I probably ought to put on a 2nd coat one of these days (although the instructions doesn't say it needs it). When I did it, I felt like I was putting it on fairly thick, but it being in the tube, it makes it hard to judge. The paint seems really thin to me (probably on purpose to help get under the existing rust), and dripped out the frame any place there were manufacturing holes. The tube they include is quite cool and makes applying it inside the frame pretty easy.

If rust is a major concern on the outside, I'd probably suggest going with something a bit more rust prevention on the outside than the 3m stuff I used.

From what I understand, the stuff the dealer puts on isn't that fantastic and ends up falling off the outside within a year, so you'd be better off just putting your own stuff on anyway.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I would wash the frame and spray it with http://www.krudkutter.com/mustrust.asp then paint with rustoleum black.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Use POR 15 it is a rubberized undercoating which is real, real thick stuff.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
HeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant futureHeadlampRevamp has a brilliant future

Name: Jacob
HeadlampRevamp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post

From what I understand, the stuff the dealer puts on isn't that fantastic and ends up falling off the outside within a year, so you'd be better off just putting your own stuff on anyway.
Yea the stuff sucks. Mine is already falling off after 6 months. I'm just going to let it all fall off so the frame will fail inspection.