Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Better MPG

Old 08-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
P_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tyler
P_Tree's Tacoma Gallery
Better MPG

I drive a 1995 1/2 tacoma 2.7 and im getting about 16 mpg. Anyone know how to get better than that?
Old 08-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Snowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to beholdSnowmang is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jacob
Snowmang's Tacoma Gallery
drive slower
Old 08-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
your o2 sensor MAY be fucked..
Old 08-26-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
P_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shedP_Tree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tyler
P_Tree's Tacoma Gallery
i was wondering that. would cold air intaking it help much?
Old 08-26-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
If you do a search you will find out intakes don't do much. Driving style will help the most. Depending on mileage you may have a bad O2 sensor.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
also clean your throttle body. I'll bet its pretty dirty!

Do the deck plate mod. It will cost you under $10 and you will see results!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on your setup, 16 mpg really is about right for stop and go driving. I get about that in town but my truck is on the heavy side. On the highways, I get about 20-25mpg avg over about 15 miles, depending on other factors (how I'm driving, traffic, speed, etc).

If you're really concerned about your mpg, you need to get yourself a scangauge and configure it for your tire size so you can get accurate mpg readings. After watching it, you'll be able to see how even tiny changes in how you work the pedal, etc make a huge difference in how much fuel is consumed.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Tree View Post
I drive a 1995 1/2 tacoma 2.7 and im getting about 16 mpg. Anyone know how to get better than that?
Lower rpms

And use cruise control as much as possible while in the highest gear possible.

The last two tanks of gas I've been hypermileaging like this and have seen an extra 3 mpg compared to what I used to average.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
Sport Rally'er
96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of96er has much to be proud of

96er's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Tree View Post
don't use your clutch to slow down, use your 'breaks'...i love when people spell brakes like that.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:35 AM   #11
gofas has a spectacular aura aboutgofas has a spectacular aura aboutgofas has a spectacular aura about

Name: Russell
gofas's Tacoma Gallery
only drive around town where it is flat. and put skinny tires in motion with slow accel.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:42 AM   #12
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
thats really low for a 2.7. when was the last time you did a tune up on the motor?
Old 10-16-2010, 02:45 AM   #13
Caligula is on a distinguished road

Caligula's Tacoma Gallery
I recently purchased a 00 2.7L Tacoma Prerunner and noticed its sucking down considerable more fuel then i would have expected for a 4 cyl. I would estimate 17-18 mpg. From what ive seen on the diagrams there is the post cat o2 sensor, as well as a pre cat A/F sensor. Would one contribute to the efficiency problem more then the other?
Old 10-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
I recently purchased a 00 2.7L Tacoma Prerunner and noticed its sucking down considerable more fuel then i would have expected for a 4 cyl. I would estimate 17-18 mpg. From what ive seen on the diagrams there is the post cat o2 sensor, as well as a pre cat A/F sensor. Would one contribute to the efficiency problem more then the other?
Sounds about right mpg, u have a truck that is as big as a 4x4 v6 and pushin it with a 4 banger. Dont take me wrong i am not bashin, i have owned 2.7L and i love that motor! I used to get 17-18 on a reg cab 4x4 2.7L
Maybe think about a spark plug and wire set change. U might pick up some lost power by changin those worn parts.

How are your driving habits, driving habits always reflect mpg.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #15
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
run some sea foam, check your sensors. clean that throttle body. do the deckplate mod (does a good job) skinny tiers help. but they dont up it like crazy. ive swaped mine out it didnt change it but 5 miles a tank.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:48 PM   #16
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Leadgolem's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
The one before the cat. It sends the feedback to the ecm so it can regulate how much gas is injected. If it's messed up you could be running rich. Though your mileage says your probably not. That's about right for that engine and 4x4.

The second sensor is for emissions purposes. EDIT: Therefore, it does not change the fuel efficiency at all, regardless of it's condition.

Interesting choice of username.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:11 AM   #17
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
The one before the cat. It sends the feedback to the ecm so it can regulate how much gas is injected. If it's messed up you could be running rich. Though your mileage says your probably not. That's about right for that engine and 4x4.

The second sensor is for emissions purposes. EDIT: Therefore, it does not change the fuel efficiency at all, regardless of it's condition.

Interesting choice of username.
Good info. Had my cat coverter stolen at work, crackheads sawzall'd it off right after the front sensor and back sensor, leaving both sensors intact but taking converter and flanges. Fixed it with a "test" pipe and clamps,lol. Funny thing is it pulls the hills better but the mileage stayed the same (about 17). Engine light is on all the time now,,until I pull a steep hill and let it get hot, then the light goes off,,once crested and cooling down a bit, light comes back on.

Plugs look fine,,light tan color,,so we will let it ride.
I run a bottle of Lucas inj cleaner thru there probably about 2-3 times a year

would like to get that engine light off tho'. guess I have to scratch and dig the grain bulb? out of the dash or ??.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:29 AM   #18
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
When I bought my truck, it was pretty obvious the owner didnt take too much care of his engine. I started out with 14.5-15MPGs (3.4L V6).

-First I replaced my spark plugs and saw a huge difference in smooth idle and more power (didnt calc MGPs). – This, by far, made the biggest noticeable difference! Highly recommended you check your spark plugs!
-Next I Sea Foamed the hell out of the engine, added seafoam to the gass (to clean injectors), cleaned the throtle body, and replaced my MAF sensor – Also added a noticeable change to performance
-Lastly I added the deck plate mod and drop in K&N air filter. Didn’t notice any big difference when testing on either city or high way (except noise when I got on the gas).

Current MPG's is 18.5 avg, 22 highway (without Deck Plate Mod as I keep it closed - Waiting for K&N to dirty up a bit b/f opening). About what you would expect from the factory (purchased with 92K miles, currently has 96k).
Old 10-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #19
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Leadgolem's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod View Post
Good info. Had my cat coverter stolen at work, crackheads sawzall'd it off right after the front sensor and back sensor, leaving both sensors intact but taking converter and flanges. Fixed it with a "test" pipe and clamps,lol. Funny thing is it pulls the hills better but the mileage stayed the same (about 17). Engine light is on all the time now,,until I pull a steep hill and let it get hot, then the light goes off,,once crested and cooling down a bit, light comes back on.

Plugs look fine,,light tan color,,so we will let it ride.
I run a bottle of Lucas inj cleaner thru there probably about 2-3 times a year

would like to get that engine light off tho'. guess I have to scratch and dig the grain bulb? out of the dash or ??.
Your probably throwing codes saying your cat is f'ed over. I think that is a good excuse to get a highflow cat.

I wouldn't remove the bulb for the check engine light. That's just going to hide other problems if/when you have them.

There is something called a sensor simulator for the rear o2 sensor. It would probably stop you from throwing the code about the cat, but I'm not sure if it's legal or not. Probably not though.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #20
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
There is something called a sensor simulator for the rear o2 sensor. It would probably stop you from throwing the code about the cat, but I'm not sure if it's legal or not. Probably not though.

yikes!!,,$104+ ship to turn off the light??
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...erqklr2vk7vgs1