Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What do you think about this?????

Old 08-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
andy2003 will become famous soon enough

Name: Andy
andy2003's Tacoma Gallery
What do you think about this?????

Just to see what everybody thinks. I just changed my oil and swithed to mobil one full synthetic 5w30. I stayed with a toyota filter and just wondered what eveybody thought about letting it go 5000miles between changes like the oil calls for. I had a 07 tacoma and of course they all go 5000 now on changes but wondered on my 03 if I should let it go this long. I put almost 2000 miles a month on my truck all highway so it wont take 2 1/2 months till the next change anyway. Let me know what you think thanks.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I think you'd be fine for sure
Old 08-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #3

Thats what i was thinking cant hurt keep an eye on the oil starts to look bad change it.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
my6 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: SAC/SP
my6's Tacoma Gallery
i,m probably gonna get fried on this but i,m at 6k on my 100% synthetic and it,s crystal clear clean on the dip stick tonight. 90% highway miles. i planned on changing it this weekend anyway because it,s due. fire away guys.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
i,m probably gonna get fried on this but i,m at 6k on my 100% synthetic and it,s crystal clear clean on the dip stick tonight. 90% highway miles. i planned on changing it this weekend anyway because it,s due. fire away guys.
no reason for anyone to fire away. i know some folks who run 10 to 15k on oil changes. i'd never do that......but some do. 6k aint too bad.

i do all my oil changes at 5k miles.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
tacotopher is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
tacotopher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Highway miles are not as tough on your vehicle as stop and go city driving. Id imagine you could easily go twice as far between changes.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy2003 View Post
Just to see what everybody thinks. I just changed my oil and swithed to mobil one full synthetic 5w30. I stayed with a toyota filter and just wondered what eveybody thought about letting it go 5000miles between changes like the oil calls for. I had a 07 tacoma and of course they all go 5000 now on changes but wondered on my 03 if I should let it go this long. I put almost 2000 miles a month on my truck all highway so it wont take 2 1/2 months till the next change anyway. Let me know what you think thanks.
That has been my agenda for quite some time. If it were dino remains it would be different. Synthetics are great and M1 is awesome. I use the Toyota filter also.

Quote:
I have heard that synthetics (especially M1) are good for at least 10K. It is advised that the filter be changed before that though. I've read about folks that do just that, switch out only the filter at 5K. Might have to top off the oil cause there is some loss when you switch out the filter. You should be fine at 6K.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
"thats what she said"
01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future

Name: joe
01taquito's Tacoma Gallery
i used to spend the money for moblie 1 and change the oil every 5-6k. switched to mobile clean 5000 and still change the oil every 5-6k.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #9
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
As long as you keep using a quality filter (the Toyota one you used, Mobile 1, Napa Gold, etc) and stay away from the Walmart and cheaper filters, I think you'll be plenty fine at 5-6k. With the synthetic and a healthy engine, you could easily go quite a bit longer if you were to just change the filter regularly.

If you're really worried about it, send in an oil sample to http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ at 5k and see what they tell you about your oil quality, as that is the only true way to know how healthy your oil is.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum with driving. I'll be lucky to drive 6k in a year, but since there are other routine maintenance items that should be checked regularly, I do it all twice a year. Little bit of a waste of money, but it makes me feel better to keep it maintained. Peace of mind has quite a bit of value as well.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #10
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
If you are running Synthetic oil and change it at anything under 5,000 you are throwing your money away. 7,500 is about right if you're running full Synthetic.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on Blackstone

Always good to get a SOAP sample. We do on aircraft all the time. Why not your car?

I still run dino oil and change every 3000k. Oil is cheap.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:58 AM   #12

Thanks for the tips guys makes me feel better about going at least 5000 on a oil change.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:12 AM   #13
supadave888 is on a distinguished road

supadave888's Tacoma Gallery
ive went 10 before and the oil still didnt look that bad but i change mine at 8,000.. with synthetic you can easily go 7 and 8..