Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4 wheel alignment on 1st gen?

Old 08-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
4 wheel alignment on 1st gen?

Can you do a 4 wheel alignment on a 2001 Toyota Tacoma prerunner??
Old 08-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Help me can you actually do it or should I only be charged for a front alignment? 2001 Tacoma preunner
Old 08-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
There's really nothing to align in the rear. Nothing to adjust anyway. The FSM has no specs for the rear either, nor does the alignment procedure say anything about the rear. If the rear is on straight and nothing is bent, thats about it.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
bivey will become famous soon enoughbivey will become famous soon enough

bivey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
There's really nothing to align in the rear. Nothing to adjust anyway. The FSM has no specs for the rear either, nor does the alignment procedure say anything about the rear. If the rear is on straight and nothing is bent, thats about it.
That's corrected can't 4 wheel align a rear wheel drive vehicle
Old 08-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
I take my truck to the local Sears since they seem to do a pretty good job. The last time I asked for just a front wheel alignment & they said for $60 4 wheel was included anyway.

I did all the suspension work myself & I did not notice or understand what could be adjusted in the rear. The printout showed the rear toe did come out different than before it went in & they do put thos alignment mirror things on the rear wheel too.

I came to the conclusion that they do the front wheel alignment somehwat based on the alignment of the rear axle. Otherwise if your rear axle was way out of whack & they just did the front only, maybe the truck might look like it was driving down the street sideways?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bivey View Post
not true. you can't align the rear suspension of a car with leaf springs in the back. there's nothing to adjust. they're just always "basically" straight unless you really fucked something up.

there may be some freak exceptions to that rule, but that's how it is with most all vehicles.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I think some of those goofball looking mini vans with coil spring rear ends (Honda comes to mind) use 4 wheel alignment for "toe-in" "toe-out" .....
Old 08-27-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Metal Cutter
zero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud ofzero4 has much to be proud of

Name: Will
zero4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shampoop View Post
not true. you can't align the rear suspension of a car with leaf springs in the back. there's nothing to adjust. they're just always "basically" straight unless you really fucked something up.

there may be some freak exceptions to that rule, but that's how it is with most all vehicles.
I agree, it's just vehicles with leafs. For most independent suspension rears there almost always at least toe adjustments. Well on Japanese cars anyway causes that's 90% of the lowering jobs I did at my old work.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bivey View Post
Independent rear cars can be aligned, we custom aligned my friends SC300 for camber and toe after we dropped it, it's like a 4x4 front suspension, with cv axles and control (trailing) arms.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I just had a 4-wheel alignment done at the Toyota dealership on my 03 Prerunner.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #11
kumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud ofkumaWRX has much to be proud of
kumaWRX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
I just had a 4-wheel alignment done at the Toyota dealership on my 03 Prerunner.
They just fed you BS probably to justify their pricing. Like people have said before you cant align the rear end of solid axle with leaf springs, there isn't anything to adjust. They probably just checked it and it was in specs.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #12
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaWRX View Post
They just fed you BS probably to justify their pricing. Like people have said before you cant align the rear end of solid axle with leaf springs, there isn't anything to adjust. They probably just checked it and it was in specs.

Actually I didnt pay for it it was included in a warranty/maintenance program so they had ZERO reasons to feed me any lines because they werent making any money off me. I told them the same thing and they showed me they put the truck on the lift and used I guess lasers and other alignment contraptions that went on all four wheels while I watched. Then they showed me the numbers and how far each wheel was off on the screen.