Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

mud flaps and badges

Old 08-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
carolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: Evan
carolinaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
mud flaps and badges

just bought a 03 a month ago just ask you guys if i should take off the factory mudflaps and debadge it???any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
tacotopher is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
tacotopher's Tacoma Gallery
Takin the mudflaps off gives it a much cleaner look imo. Debadging it could remove paint around the badges. I tried it on my wrx and it did not go over well...
Old 08-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
carolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant futurecarolinaTRD has a brilliant future

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotopher View Post
Takin the mudflaps off gives it a much cleaner look imo. Debadging it could remove paint around the badges. I tried it on my wrx and it did not go over well...
what about blacking them out i got to take them off to do that right
Old 08-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Only if its been repainted and had the badges stuck on the paint when its still wet, otherwise thats impossible. Unless you use a flat bladed screwdriver or something lol.

IMO taking the mudflaps off does look a lot better, but be ready for some serious rock chips on the rocker panels if you drive on dirt roads at all. Thats the main reason I keep them on. I just remove them when I go off roading.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I don't like the flaps so I removed mine, not only that but they have a real problem breaking off in the rear when even mild offroading, but its just my opinion.. same with the TRD decals, I don't care for pinstripes,flames,etc; De badging is pretty easy, get a heat gun (be careful with it )or better still some guys use a hair dryer with just enough heat to loosen it up without over heating (thus damaging paint)that is a real hazard with heat gun.....

heres 1 pic after removal
Attached Thumbnails
mud flaps and badges-debadged-202.jpg  
Old 08-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Personally I don't like the flaps so I removed mine, not only that but they have a real problem breaking off in the rear when even mild offroading, but its just my opinion.. same with the TRD decals, I don't care for pinstripes,flames,etc; De badging is pretty easy, get a heat gun (be careful with it )or better still some guys use a hair dryer with just enough heat to loosen it up without over heating (thus damaging paint)that is a real hazard with heat gun.....
Yeah, the debadging is very easy. I just let mine sit in the 100 degree weather for a few hours then did it. I used fishing line to remove them.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Yeah, the debadging is very easy. I just let mine sit in the 100 degree weather for a few hours then did it. I used fishing line to remove them.

Lol, let the sun do its job, yeah I've heard the fishing line works really well.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
dirttrax is on a distinguished road
dirttrax's Tacoma Gallery
Thats the first thing I did to mine. IMO it looks alot cleaner. Besides I dont need mudflaps to tell its a 4x4 or do I need stickers to tell it a toyota

And believe it or not I had a guy ask one day after removing the badges what kind of truck it was! I was like WTF it a S-10 of course F-ing retard
Old 08-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #9

Army:
i was also thinking about taking some off for good but leaving a couple and blacking them out? any opinons on that or pics of some
Old 08-27-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
shocker01 is a splendid one to beholdshocker01 is a splendid one to beholdshocker01 is a splendid one to beholdshocker01 is a splendid one to beholdshocker01 is a splendid one to beholdshocker01 is a splendid one to beholdshocker01 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Gordon
shocker01's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer all the protection I can get for my paint.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
"thats what she said"
01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future01taquito has a brilliant future

Name: joe
01taquito's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yeah, i did mine in the middle of the afternoon. here in texas no heat gun needed. debadge ffor sure, im still back and forth on the mudflaps
Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #14
tacotopher is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
tacotopher's Tacoma Gallery
I used fishing line and goo gone to get the badges off my wrx. Subaru uses crap for paint. That could of been why it pulled some paint off when I debadged it
Old 08-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #15
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I like the look of no flaps, but they keep all that crap from getting under the door skin if you have them on the front as I do.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #16
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
IMO taking the mudflaps off does look a lot better, but be ready for some serious rock chips on the rocker panels if you drive on dirt roads at all. Thats the main reason I keep them on. I just remove them when I go off roading.
Could not agree with this more. Yes, it does look good in the short term without the flaps on there but in the long run your front wheels will sandblast the whole rocker panel, all the way back to the rear wheels if your remove the front flaps. This will happen even if you never leave the pavement. Leaving the rear flaps on will keep johnny law off your ass too.

If you do any offroading, just remove the flaps at the trailhead and put them back on when you are airing up.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #17
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
As someone that might be driving behind you I'd appreciate it if you kept the flaps on.

I debadged and de-decaled my entire truck. I like the clean look.

But as usual, it's all your preference.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #18
rdcar is on a distinguished road
rdcar's Tacoma Gallery
I used fishing line without any hairdryer. It came off pretty easy. Painted it black and looks pretty good with the radiant red. Also took off the pinstripe. I'm about to take off the mudflap tomorrow before washing it. Maybe just the front, not sure about the back yet?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I used fishing line and goo gone to get the badges off my wrx. Subaru uses crap for paint. That could of been why it pulled some paint off when I debadged it
I too have a subaru and agree that the paint is worthless.

But I still can't imagine how you pulled paint off around the badges. I too debagded my legacy and had no problems.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #20
rdcar is on a distinguished road
rdcar's Tacoma Gallery
Here's some pics

I too used goo gone after removing the back.